TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Mar 18, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #2,371 of 3,585
Alright next question. Phono stage. Any recommendations to pair with the 1200mk2? Looking for $300 or less range, temporary fix as i'm planning to pick up an integrated with a phono stage later this year.

The intro phono models i see around are the rega, nad, project, music halls. Whos got strong opinions on any of these:)

As a stop gap, I would think the NAD PP2i would work just fine.  I've had one for about three years now and can't say anything bad about it.  $99 new on amazon.

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #2,372 of 3,585
I'll be an isolated optimist, I can't wait for Pioneer's SL-12 Mutant!!!

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #2,373 of 3,585
Mar 18, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #2,374 of 3,585
  A Pioneer in Technic clothing?  Or, is that, cloning?

Both if you swing that way

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/03/13/can-this-new-pioneer-turntable-replace-the-classic-technics-sl-1200/

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #2,375 of 3,585
Alright next question. Phono stage. Any recommendations to pair with the 1200mk2? Looking for $300 or less range, temporary fix as i'm planning to pick up an integrated with a phono stage later this year.

The intro phono models i see around are the rega, nad, project, music halls. Whos got strong opinions on any of these:)

Analogsurviver has it right about info on the Technics MK2: Vinylengine has an entire lengthy thread about the Phono question alone.

Audiokarma also has multiple dedicated MK2 threads.

I settled on the Denon 103R, you should be able to find that cart for $300 or slightly less.

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #2,376 of 3,585
Mar 21, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #2,377 of 3,585
Question, I'm in the market for a new phono pre and was looking at some with multiple outputs, can I use one without multiple outputs and use a high quality y splitter to go to my desktop and hifi separately or do I need one with multiple outs...  I don't want to move wires around 

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #2,378 of 3,585
  Question, I'm in the market for a new phono pre and was looking at some with multiple outputs, can I use one without multiple outputs and use a high quality y splitter to go to my desktop and hifi separately or do I need one with multiple outs...  I don't want to move wires around 

Theorethically, yes.

Practically, troublesome. Phono signal(s) are MUCH lower in level than line level (tuner, CD, etc) - and by nature signal lines can not be shielded as well as with line level - leading to susceptibility of hum and radio frequency interference. To combat these, the best strategy is to use star grounding - the centre being input of your phono preamp.

If you connect "miles and miles" of cable, Y splitter etc, you might "get away with murder" - but may not.  That is why I NEVER saw phono preamp with multiple outs; inputs yes, vintage gear many times has inputs for at least two turntables, usually one for MM and another for MC, but can be multiples of MMs also. Multiple phono outs - NONE so far.

*IF* I needed such capability, I would use Y splitting of one sort or another AFTER some buffer stage; you might be lucky to use tape out (same point as phono out, preamplifier line stage input ) ( in case of only one tape out, use Y RCA splitter there ), but more prudent strategy would be at the line stage preamp output.  Each and every installation is different, one cable may work in one and cause unsurmountable problems in another system and combination of componentry.

Doable - but i DO wish you good luck with this one !

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #2,379 of 3,585
Theorethically, yes.

Practically, troublesome. Phono signal(s) are MUCH lower in level than line level (tuner, CD, etc) - and by nature signal lines can not be shielded as well as with line level - leading to susceptibility of hum and radio frequency interference. To combat these, the best strategy is to use star grounding - the centre being input of your phono preamp.

If you connect "miles and miles" of cable, Y splitter etc, you might "get away with murder" - but may not.  That is why I NEVER saw phono preamp with multiple outs; inputs yes, vintage gear many times has inputs for at least two turntables, usually one for MM and another for MC, but can be multiples of MMs also. Multiple phono outs - NONE so far.

*IF* I needed such capability, I would use Y splitting of one sort or another AFTER some buffer stage; you might be lucky to use tape out (same point as phono out, preamplifier line stage input ) ( in case of only one tape out, use Y RCA splitter there ), but more prudent strategy would be at the line stage preamp output.  Each and every installation is different, one cable may work in one and cause unsurmountable problems in another system and combination of componentry.

Doable - but i DO wish you good luck with this one !
the OUTPUT of a phono pre-amp is the same -10db reference level as cd or tape. If you have a clean, hum free signal out of your pre-amp then I'd try a high quality passive switch instead of y-cables... just my 2₵.
+1 on the star grounding... its the same method used in professional recording studios.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #2,380 of 3,585
I'm "Star grounded." 
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #2,381 of 3,585
the OUTPUT of a phono pre-amp is the same -10db reference level as cd or tape. If you have a clean, hum free signal out of your pre-amp then I'd try a high quality passive switch instead of y-cables... just my 2₵.
+1 on the star grounding... its the same method used in professional recording studios.

Theorethically is output from phono preamp lower than from cd or tape. After CD, things have started to converge - but then, you have phono carts with 0.04 mV - 10 mV/5cm/sec sensitivity - and not many phono stages can have "continuously variable" gain - that mean in practice output from phono preamp can vary the most of them all.

I have to "daisy chain" the equipment on daily basis - and hum/RFI can pop up with the SAME combination of equipment with the SAME cables - or, if I am lucky - not...

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #2,384 of 3,585
Theorethically is output from phono preamp lower than from cd or tape. After CD, things have started to converge - but then, you have phono carts with 0.04 mV - 10 mV/5cm/sec sensitivity - and not many phono stages can have "continuously variable" gain - that mean in practice output from phono preamp can vary the most of them all.

I have to "daisy chain" the equipment on daily basis - and hum/RFI can pop up with the SAME combination of equipment with the SAME cables - or, if I am lucky - not...
Agreed that a fixed gain pre's output level will vary depending on input level. But, theoretically, ideally or whatever, the purpose of the pre is to bring the signal up to a -10db reference level for an unbalanced signal. Once its to that level treat it like you would any other signal. Its no more or less susceptible to RFI or ground loop than any other "line level" signal. Volts are volts. Yes, RFI/hum can be a seemingly illogical source of frustration.

Cheers :beerchug:

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,385 of 3,585

http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Splitter-Male-Female-Black-Red-Black/dp/B000V1JUJU

But if you really need more, try this. You''ll need two per split

Users who are viewing this thread

Back