TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Mar 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2,401 of 3,585
  Yes also had good luck with ebay when buying used, though I have had two a new records from amazon which required sending back they where so warped and also had damaged covers.

Haven't ever had to send back a bad record.  They've said trash it and then give a refund.

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2,402 of 3,585

Haven't ever had to send back a bad record.  They've said trash it and then give a refund.

Six months ago, I bought a record (not AMZN, another record dealer) that was warped in one spot badly, on the first track. That track happened to be the title track of the album and my sole reason for buying it. The seller actually listed this wax as near mint. Everyone has a bad day now and then... but you could see it with the naked eye from across the street! 
rolleyes.gif

I contacted the seller who agreed to exchange it. The LP cost $6, shipping another $7. He was argumentative and in denial - I voluntarily trashed the LP unplayed and walked away. I refused to pay $7 more to get an LP exchanged worth $6 which should have never been shipped in the first place. Life is too short, too sweet, for a bad transaction. 

- No regrets in SoCal

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #2,403 of 3,585
That seller deserves negative feedback.

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2,405 of 3,585
Go get 'im, tiger.
regular_smile .gif

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #2,406 of 3,585
Yes also had good luck with ebay when buying used, though I have had two a new records from amazon which required sending back they where so warped and also had damaged covers.

Don't say that! Just bought my first 2 records via amazon and they should be delivered today. Now im psyched out they'll be damaged:)

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #2,408 of 3,585
  NOT entirely true. JamieMcC is from UK - and although not dead centre London, STILL much more likely to stumble upon quad records than over here in Slovenia. 

As a matter of fact, I used to follow CLOSELY this thread on QudrophonicQuad : 

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?9035-Lou-Dorren-A-new-CD-4-Demodulator!!!

Unfortunately, it is loooong overdue - it started in 2007 ( since the beginning, two of Lou Dorren's close friends/colaborators have passed away... ) - and all one can hope and pray for is Lou will be able at least to finish the prototype before the inevitable . In this (and few related threads ) one can find most of the answers ever associated with vinyl reproduction - record cleaning included. It is THE asylum for the most hard core analog diehards - anywhere. But it assumes a certain level of prior knowledge and willingness to commit and learn along the way. 

And $$$, of course.

I have "The Doors" vinyl in quadrophonic sound, works fine with stereo but always wanted to hear the quad version, since its old and used I'm sure the quad is fried.  Thanks for the web site, never knew it was out there.
smile.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #2,409 of 3,585
  I have "The Doors" vinyl in quadrophonic sound, works fine with stereo but always wanted to hear the quad version, since its old and used I'm sure the quad is fried.  Thanks for the web site, never knew it was out there.
smile.gif

My only true experience with quad is from early/mid 70s, when I was still in elementary school. Akai representative held a demo in an acoustically totally unfit place ( the whole "wall" was actually giant glass plate, a window on the street ...) - and they played TOTL Akai gear. I had a poor cousin to the 

at the time - and STILL did not find the quad, as demoed, nothing to write home about, let alone worth the difference in cost that was beyond my comprehension at the time anyway.

But quad, although ultimately failed in the marketplace, did put an indelible stamp on the research and development of phono cartridges. For stereo, it is "enough" (anything but true...) for the cartridge to have reasonably flat frequency response to 20 kHz. For quad, at the very least double that, up to 40 kHz is required, preferably well past 50 kHz.  The icon of that time that , although long out of production, still is available on the "used" market, held in highest of esteem and highly sought after, is the Audio Technica AT 15/20 family - with AT 20SS perched at the top. Fourty years and counting since introduction, it is and will remain a formidable cartridge - up to the day the last vinyl record will still be available.

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #2,410 of 3,585
I have about twenty reel tapes that are discrete quad (and 7.5 ips) which can be played back by my TEAC A3340s as true discrete quad, and I can tell you these sound terrific. But LP wasn't a good format for quad.

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #2,411 of 3,585
I have about twenty reel tapes that are discrete quad (and 7.5 ips) which can be played back by my TEAC A3340s as true discrete quad, and I can tell you these sound terrific. But LP wasn't a good format for quad.

True.

Some of the better discrete tape quad recordings from the 70s or so found their way to multichannel SACD releases - which is the first time general public gets to hear quadro as intended. 

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #2,412 of 3,585
Now a topic every vinyl user will be interested in: 

[size=12.222222328186035px]WARPS[/size]

[size=14.44444465637207px]There is a well made Furutech record flattener - at a cool $ 2,000.00 or so. "Collateral damage" # XY? brought me to [/size]http://www.vinylflat.com/ or better yet to :

At hundred bucks ( and ocassional usurpation of your household's oven ) it works nearly as well as 20 times more expensive machine. It appears to be well made device and reviews online are almost all extremely positive. Needless to say,  record and any flattener must be as clean as reasonably possible.. If your oven lacks a precise temperature indicator, little battery operated temperature "gauges" are available  at reasonable cost - you do not want to damage the precious record by overheating ...

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #2,413 of 3,585
Looks very promising! That link didn't work though...

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,414 of 3,585
  Now a topic every vinyl user will be interested in: 

[size=12.222222328186035px]WARPS[/size]

[size=14.44444465637207px]There is a well made Furutech record flattener - at a cool $ 2,000.00 or so. "Collateral damage" # XY? brought me to [/size]http://www.vinylflat.com/ or better yet to :

At hundred bucks ( and ocassional usurpation of your household's oven ) it works nearly as well as 20 times more expensive machine. It appears to be well made device and reviews online are almost all extremely positive. Needless to say,  record and any flattener must be as clean as reasonably possible.. If your oven lacks a precise temperature indicator, little battery operated temperature "gauges" are available  at reasonable cost - you do not want to damage the precious record by overheating ...

A bargain compared to other systems and actually looks like a quality item.  
If the vinyl is so warped you have to flatten it what shape could the surface be in?

I could however see using this if the vinyl is out of production, nice info.

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #2,415 of 3,585
Looks very promising! That link didn't work though...

Just google " Vinyl Flat" - for some reason, in above post "or" got linked to the link. Properly is:

http://www.vinylflat.com/

Google will yield TONS of reviews, opinions, etc - ALL positive. Here one more intersting to the prospective non USA based customers - shipping IS a fly in the ointment:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?66453-Vinyl-Flat-vinyl-dewarper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back