TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Mar 11, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #2,341 of 3,585
My 2nd technics SL-7 arrived this evening.

It was in almost perfect condition, but the tonearm motor needed a kickstart.

While opening the tonearm encasing, i accidentily broke the tonearm belt.
It took me about 2.5 hours but i fixed it with mint scented dental floss.

also really happy to finally have my SL-7 on it's feet.

And now i can finally listen to my records from the comfort of my bed again
smily_headphones1.gif

I cry FOUL! Belts are available from ebay - just one example: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Technics-Riemen-belt-SL-6-SL-7-CAS-/380396842095?pt=Plattenspieler&hash=item58916b2c6f

No need to use any O-Rings ( still much better than dental floss ) etc - when original dimension (or extremely close functionally indistinguishable from original ) replacements can be had at above mentioned prices.

I used to be able to buy these belts locally, the dimension required sold out, it was supposed to be back in stock quite some time ago, but since I used the very last belt for my recently acquired Sleeping Beauty, I can not give the exact dimension. Belt is square section though.

Mar 12, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #2,342 of 3,585
I cry FOUL! Belts are available from ebay - just one example: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Technics-Riemen-belt-SL-6-SL-7-CAS-/380396842095?pt=Plattenspieler&hash=item58916b2c6f

No need to use any O-Rings ( still much better than dental floss ) etc - when original dimension (or extremely close functionally indistinguishable from original ) replacements can be had at above mentioned prices.

I used to be able to buy these belts locally, the dimension required sold out, it was supposed to be back in stock quite some time ago, but since I used the very last belt for my recently acquired Sleeping Beauty, I can not give the exact dimension. Belt is square section though.

It's the other belt that broke, if you know where i could get a replacement for that, that'd be awesome.

Mar 12, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #2,343 of 3,585
It's the other belt that broke, if you know where i could get a replacement for that, that'd be awesome.

Ohhh - you mean THREAD  - not belt - that drives the arm off the worm/pulley assembly driven by the square section rubber belt I was reffering to.

I *guess* you did really well with dental floss then - it is the closest to the original thread material and should be OK.

Mar 12, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2,345 of 3,585
Hi all,

This question might've been asked before, but I've done some searching and haven't found a good answer. I'm looking to align a cartridge with the stupid protractor from vinyl-engine, but what I've noticed in all these TT-setup vids is that the alignment tools (mirrored protractor, geodisc, etc.) have some height (thickness) to them. Since the print-out I'm going to use is practically height-less, should I place a record on the platter and then the print-out atop it? Or should I just place the print-out directly on the mat?

Thanks,
Nick

Mar 12, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #2,346 of 3,585
you should probably put it on a record if you are worried about VTA

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #2,347 of 3,585
  If you use normal instead of mint scented dental floss, the soundstage will improve.

lol.

are you going to sell me $800 audiophile-grade dental floss now? ;P

Ohhh - you mean THREAD  - not belt - that drives the arm off the worm/pulley assembly driven by the square section rubber belt I was reffering to.

I *guess* you did really well with dental floss then - it is the closest to the original thread material and should be OK.

the thread seems to be a smaller diameter version of the wire on our horizontal blinds. i will keep the thread, as there are 2 small metal pieces on it that i don't want to lose, in case i find a replacement thread.

----------------------

having a 2nd SL-7 made me realise i'm still about €900 short of having the same audio quality as i have downstairs.

listening to Mike Oldfield's "Man on the rocks", and i'm yawning to try and open my ears, but they already are.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #2,349 of 3,585
Which cartridge do you have on the 2nd SL 7 - it is Grado IIRC on the first one.

Technics epc202 with tonar needle. It came with another one but they hadn't locked the tone arm during travel, so it broke.
I'll check later which one that was.

I think i'll buy another grado for this one though.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #2,350 of 3,585
Technics epc202 with tonar needle. It came with another one but they hadn't locked the tone arm during travel, so it broke.
I'll check later which one that was.

I think i'll buy another grado for this one though.

Sorry to hear that. Essentially, you are experiencing all of the troubles associated wit Technics SL series of linear trackers. 

Nowadays, if and when I see a decent stylus on SL linears, I make damn sure the seller does pack and ship the TT according to my instructions - before he/she packs the thing, I am likely to require to wait till I ship to him/her the proper transport screws etc ( which by now almost everybody has lost or can no longer find ). Threatening with negative feedback in advance if not packed properly, regardless  if per some miracle the poor stylus survives "just thrown in the package" journey...

That may seem a bit harsh - but after 20+ SL linear trackers ...

Please go to the http://p-mount.net/  - there you have samples of two styli for your EPC P202C ( another name for EPC P22C ) cartridge. Jico SAS, although a bit pricey, 
is one hell of a good stylus for your cart and table; FAR more accurate than any Grado ever made. BUT - please make absolutely sure you are getting boron cantilever and NOT alloy cantilever version. Boron version ( more expensive...) might only be available trough resellers, but you can try to ask Jico directly.

I hope it was not ( censored ) - because that stylus is one of the very best EVER made. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #2,351 of 3,585
Sorry to hear that. Essentially, you are experiencing all of the troubles associated wit Technics SL series of linear trackers. 

Nowadays, if and when I see a decent stylus on SL linears, I make damn sure the seller does pack and ship the TT according to my instructions - before he/she packs the thing, I am likely to require to wait till I ship to him/her the proper transport screws etc ( which by now almost everybody has lost or can no longer find ). Threatening with negative feedback in advance if not packed properly, regardless  if per some miracle the poor stylus survives "just thrown in the package" journey...

That may seem a bit harsh - but after 20+ SL linear trackers ...

Please go to the http://p-mount.net/  - there you have samples of two styli for your EPC P202C ( another name for EPC P22C ) cartridge. Jico SAS, although a bit pricey, 
is one hell of a good stylus for your cart and table; FAR more accurate than any Grado ever made. BUT - please make absolutely sure you are getting boron cantilever and NOT alloy cantilever version. Boron version ( more expensive...) might only be available trough resellers, but you can try to ask Jico directly.

I hope it was not ( censored ) - because that stylus is one of the very best EVER made. 

did you self censor, or is that head-fi?

The stylus was an audio-technica 2002, i don't know if that would've been any good.

I'll look into the jico SAS stylii, thanks :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #2,352 of 3,585
did you self censor, or is that head-fi?

The stylus was an audio-technica 2002, i don't know if that would've been any good.

I'll look into the jico SAS stylii, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I self censored it - had to buy XY tables to get one working sample, selling rate of this by now ultra rare stylus is about 1 per 3 years ebay.worldwide ...

Hmmm - I *think* we have another semantics issue here : Audio Technica AT 2002 is a cartridge, AT-N 2002 is a stylus for this cartridge. And which stylus, if any, was on your EPC 202C cartridge fitted to your second SL-7 ? AT-N 2002 stylus does not fit to the EPC P202C cartridge ...- generics that fit but are waaaaay inferiour to the original Technics styli are over plentiful !

Being from Tonarland - I mean The Netherlands - you might be able find some original Technics made styli in Tonar packaging - naald in a haystack for sure, but probably more likely than anyplace else ...

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #2,353 of 3,585
I self censored it - had to buy XY tables to get one working sample, selling rate of this by now ultra rare stylus is about 1 per 3 years ebay.worldwide ...

Hmmm - I *think* we have another semantics issue here : Audio Technica AT 2002 is a cartridge, AT-N 2002 is a stylus for this cartridge. And which stylus, if any, was on your EPC 202C cartridge fitted to your second SL-7 ? AT-N 2002 stylus does not fit to the EPC P202C cartridge ...- generics that fit but are waaaaay inferiour to the original Technics styli are over plentiful !

Being from Tonarland - I mean The Netherlands - you might be able find some original Technics made styli in Tonar packaging - naald in a haystack for sure, but probably more likely than anyplace else ...

Why even mention it then? :p

Whoops. Meant AT 2002 cartridge, not stylus. Not a clue which stylus was on there(not that it matters as it's broken now anyways)

On the EPC cartridge, i have a €30 stylus, however i will upgrade the cartridge as a whole.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #2,354 of 3,585
is anyone using the parsound halo phono preamp?  thoughts on it?   I will be in the market to upgrade soon, currently using a vincent audio PHO 8
also would like suggestions for a phono preamp, I like a warmish sound to my vinyl, I really like the Audio Research ph 6 I heard but I want one with two outputs so I can go to my desk rig and the HIFI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back