TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Mar 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #2,312 of 3,585
Mar 5, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #2,313 of 3,585
I'd like to nominate the U-Turn Audio Orbit as well.

also that before after pic was awesome and should be an inspiration to us all.
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #2,315 of 3,585
The tonearm looks awful on the U turn, like it was lifted off a crosley. For $100 more than the Orbit plus it would be a no-brainer to choose the debut carbon.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #2,316 of 3,585
  Or what would be a good direct drive option under 1k if there are any? They seem to have a reputation as a solid workhorse, which appeals to me before I start fiddling with things.

Was kind of thinking something in that 1k or less price range to get started before I just jump into (what I consider) the deep end of multiple thousands of dollars gear. 

I came very close to buying an SL1200 a couple years back. I decided to audition some of the current production, entry-level belt drive tables (Pro-ject, Rega, Music Hall). I know many people will argue with me on this, but the Rega tables just sounded better. I know direct-drive may be technically superior on paper, but the SL1200 just sounded dead and lifeless compared to the Rega RP1.

With your budget, I would suggest looking into the RP3. Find a dealer near you and give it a listen. Also, the Ortofon 2M series pairs wonderfully with the Rega tonearms. I have a 2M Blue on my P2, and I couldn't be happier.

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #2,318 of 3,585
  With your budget, I would suggest looking into the RP3. Find a dealer near you and give it a listen. Also, the Ortofon 2M series pairs wonderfully with the Rega tonearms. I have a 2M Blue on my P2, and I couldn't be happier.

I have an RP3 with a Ortofon 2M Bronze, and I love it. I use it as my main source. The cartridge is the best upgrade I've made. If you can get a Rega without the Rega cart I highly recommend it. Save the money for an Ortofon 2M. Installing a new cartridge wasn't hard at all as long as you have an alignment tool and tweezers (for the cartridge leads). My 2M came with a scale and I'm using a MOFI GeoDisk for alignment.

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #2,321 of 3,585

The Orbit review is live on Analog Planet, Mikey likes it.  (especially with a upgraded Shure M97xe )

Speaking of which, if anybody is interested I have one with basically a brand new stylus. I'll sell it for $50 pre-mounted on an SME style universal headshell (aligned for a technics)

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,322 of 3,585

Technics 1200 MK2, a late model, bought barely used, I added a Denon 103R cart.  The TT weighs 26.7 pounds, very stable and built for DJ use, semi idiot proof for setup.  Has the feel and sound of a much more expensive TT.  I'm really enjoying this paired with my Fisher 100T for HP use.

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #2,323 of 3,585
  IIRC - did you order U-Turn Orbit - and did you get it ?

Yes! it took over a year... but I got it. Too bad I moved out and been working 10 hours days :frowning2: 
I wish audiophile dacs and amps had more inputs, outputs, pass through. Would make it so much more conveinient for headphones, speakers, tv, computer, turntable, etc. I mean, if have two, you're pretty lucky. Maybe I should start using my a/v receiver for everything, or maybe go vintage ^^

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #2,324 of 3,585

Technics 1200 MK2, a late model, bought barely used, I added a Denon 103R cart.  The TT weighs 26.7 pounds, very stable and built for DJ use, semi idiot proof for setup.  Has the feel and sound of a much more expensive TT.  I'm really enjoying this paired with my Fisher 100T for HP use.

What's the difference between the 103 and 103R?

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #2,325 of 3,585
Okay, I finally decided that I was okay with not getting something absolutely epic and went with a Rega P3-24 with a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge. Sounds pretty nice right now just running through my wa-22 if not a bit too quiet.  I still have to go through the calibration process though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back