Turntable chosen... Let the upgrades begin!
May 31, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #61 of 91
lol, thats what I was thinking but it would have been hard on my wallet when I was thinking I might be able to get in for so cheap.

and a huge thank you to whoever outbid me at the last minute!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 31, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #63 of 91
Getting started in vinyl does indeed add up, especially if you don't already have some of the necessary components (ex. turntable, records, cleaning supplies, calibration equipment). For example, I've spent more on cleaning and calibration supplies than I paid for the turntable itself!
icon10.gif
Of course, those supplies should last a loooong time.

Total, I've probably paid around $250 for the whole setup, and it's sounding pretty good even before a cartridge/stylus change. I'll be interested to hear the difference when the new one arrives.

May 31, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #64 of 91
thanks for the tips guys, I should really research a bit before jumping in..

enjoy your new vinyl setup infinitesymphony!
600smile.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #65 of 91
The ADC XLM II + headshell arrived this afternoon. The manual says "Premounted Stereo Cartridge for Straight Tonearms." Also, carbon fiber construction... Darn! I'd hoped it was a regular magnesium headshell.

Is there any way to make this work with my current setup?

adc1.jpg
adc2.jpg
adc3.jpg
adc4.jpg

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #66 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ADC XLM II + headshell arrived this afternoon. The manual says "Premounted Stereo Cartridge for Straight Tonearms." Also, carbon fiber construction... Darn! I'd hoped it was a regular magnesium headshell.

Is there any way to make this work with my current setup?

No. How annoying he quite clearly says

"ADC headshell to fit plug in European and Japanese type turntables. "

which is not the case because this is the ST ADC XLM II which is the version for the (American) ADC proprietry tonearm mounting pattern.

So he has sent you the wrong one.

What you need is the ADC headshell which will mount on a standard SME / Ortofon / JIS bayonet mount.

like this http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/al....php?pic_id=75

Although you did do very well to get that XLM II cart for 60USD so if he doesn't have the ADC headshell in the pic above then perhaps it's better to hang on to it anyway.

This guy here http://www.vinylconnections.co.uk/4sale1.htm in the UK is advertising them for 10UKp (20USD) so even with shipping it will still cost you no more than 25-30USD.

what a pain.

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #67 of 91
I was afraid of that... Thanks for the links. I thought I might be able to line up the cartridge at an extreme angle to make it work, but I guess the pin configuration on the back wouldn't match up with my tonearm anyway.

How well did you say that the XLM II would compare with something modern like a Shure M97XE? Once I get the magnesium headshell, it seems like my cartridge options will really open up.

Jun 4, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #68 of 91
Quote:

How well did you say that the XLM II would compare with something modern like a Shure M97XE? Once I get the magnesium headshell, it seems like my cartridge options will really open up.

The XLM II is pretty classic and very nicely put together I'd say it wouldn't be that much different to the Shure sonically. They both have that wonderful lush warm 70s vinyl sound. There seems to be a lot of NOS ADC stock around and then there are the JICO replacements as well so I don't think there is any issue with replacement stylii.

The Shure is a pretty old fashioned design which is why I think it's so heavily discounted, but it's a classic also which is why companies like JICO in Japan bother to make modern upgraded stylus profiles for them. I'd be tempted to pick up a Shure M75/91/92/95 from ebay and go for a JICO stylus if you want to check out the Shure sound but I suppose the the M97 is very cheap. Vintage audio equipment from Europe and the US was cool in Japan long before anyone else got into it.

I've sold lots of things like huge heavy (20 Kilos + )Goodmans Dual concentric speakers (British 1950s vintage) and a little 1960s German Uher Report Monitor reel to reel to guys in Japan and they were willing to pay exorbitant amounts for the shipping to get those things couriered half way around the world because they are very rare and sought after over there.

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #69 of 91
Apparently the Audio Technica AT440MLA will also work with a high mass arm and it's 85USD from LPgear. It's a bit more modern sounding than the Shure M97 and cost a fortune when it first came out in the 1980's as AT's top of the range MM.
It's been recently revised into the A version and perhaps the compliance changed as I remember it being higher but anyway these days it's heavily discounted so you might consider this as well since it will work with your current set up as is.

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #71 of 91
Quote:

Since I have the XLM II, I wonder, would it be such a bad idea to try it with the current aluminum headshell? Will it sound much better with a lighter magnesium headshell?

Try it. I suspect the downside is that it will resonate at the same frequncy as the main bearing which will may distort the bass.

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #72 of 91
Quote:

Thanks to my fellow Head-Fi members, I currently have three possibilities for a starter turntable setup, all for under $80... They're very specific combinations, which is why I need some help. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each of these setups:

Dual CS-431 with Empire cartridge.

Dual CS-515 with Shure M81 cartridge.

Denon DP-15F with Tonar 611BE cartridge.

Whaddya think?
icon10.gif

You may want to choose none of the above cartridges and buy the cheapest Grado you can find at The Needle Doctor or similar website.

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #74 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This guy here http://www.vinylconnections.co.uk/4sale1.htm in the UK is advertising them for 10UKp (20USD) so even with shipping it will still cost you no more than 25-30USD.

After seeing a few ADC magnesium headshells from U.K. sellers on eBay going for over $40, I decided to e-mail that guy. His response was, "sorry all gone." Have you seen any other non-auction sellers with the ADC headshell?

Jun 11, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #75 of 91
They usually go for about 20-40USD in the UK. I am curious that there arn't more of them on US ebay as it was an American brand. There must be shops sitting on loads of NOS examples somewhere. Have you tried emailing Lpgear.com as they seem to have good sources for this kind of stuff.

I have searched online to no avail for the vintage ADC ones (outside of ebay) but have also looked at other possibilities.

http://www.esotericsound.com/access.htm

This company seems to have resurected the Rek-O-Kut brand with a curious variety of OEM stuff.

The headshell with the variable ballast accessories looks the same as the one offered by Stanton

http://www.reefinc.com/proddetail.as...esiumHeadshell

and is described as low mass when badged Rek-O-kut or Magnesium when badged Stanton. Magnesium is what you are after as it's half the mass of Aluminium.

The other more expensive Rek-o-Kut headshell which is definitely described as magnesium is a dead ringer for the Jelco

http://www.jelco-ichikawa.co.jp/e_accessory.htm

There is also a Sumiko one made from magnesium that looks the same.

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/....asp?sku=ASUM6

Any of these should be a better match for the ADC cart, the lighter the better obviously, if you can't be bothered to wait for one to turn up for a reasonable amount on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back