Turning a FiiO E10 into a Portable Amp...
Nov 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dabboo

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi,

I have an Android phone and soon I'll be buying a FiiO E10 for use at my desktop along with my DT770s.

As far as I can see the reason you can't currently use the FiiO E10 portably is because it needs a constant supply of power which is gained via USB.

The USB connection is also what sends the audio to the 3.5mm output on the front of the E10.

Considering Android 4.1 now supports audio over USB I thought that if you were to buy a MicroUSB V1 to MiniUSB 2 cord and plug the E10 into the USB on an Android phone running 4.1+ could it work? The questions I think that need to be answered are:

A) Can it supply enough power to the E10?
B) Can it also supply audio to the E10?
C) How easy would it be to configure?

If I'm completely wrong please do tell me.

I'm buying the E10 because I use my headphone at my desktop 98% of the time but in the occasion that I may go on a road trip, it'd be cool to have a DAC/amp running off of my phone. (I have a Nexus S for anyone wondering).

This is purely speculative and I don't expect this to work as it seems a bit far fetched but it'd be interesting to find out.

Dave.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 8
Confirmed working for the Nexus 7, but not the SIII: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-forum/197454-enable-usb-audio-any-android-4-0-device-2.html.

An E17 would probably be more compatible overall.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Confirmed working for the Nexus 7, but not the SIII: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-forum/197454-enable-usb-audio-any-android-4-0-device-2.html.

An E17 would probably be more compatible overall.

Not even with custom ROM? 

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Not even with custom ROM? 

Actually tried them with someone else's SIII, and didn't work. Probably a hardware limitation. The E10 is troublesome for this kind of stuff because of the lack of batteries, depending entirely on USB power. Surprised that the Nexus could do it though.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Actually tried them with someone else's SIII, and didn't work. Probably a hardware limitation. The E10 is troublesome for this kind of stuff because of the lack of batteries, depending entirely on USB power. Surprised that the Nexus could do it though.

Thats kinda funny, because the USB implementation should be the same in both.  The Samsung android firmware might not support it, but maybe the google rom does, hence the nexus can do it.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Thats kinda funny, because the USB implementation should be the same in both.  The Samsung android firmware might not support it, but maybe the google rom does, hence the nexus can do it.

Hmm, you're actually right. I think the SIII had a CM10 nightly on, so curious as to why it didn't work...

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 8
With alot of MacGyvering, I don't see why a modified MicroUSB cable couldn't be modified to support this.
splicing 2 cables together, Data Cables going to Device, Power Cabels coming from a portable Lithium-Ion phone charger.
It'd be messy, but purhaps possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back