Turbine Pro review . . .
Jan 17, 2010 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jamato8

Headphoneus Supremus
Monster Turbine Pro

Monitors should be built to allow us to enjoy sound. Why listen if it isn’t fun, emotional and worth the time, right? As many of us know, this doesn’t always happen when listening to our favorite tunes. Often something is missing or something is just irritating about the sound. What the Monster Turbine Pro offers are well built, meant to be used monitors. The important question as to sound is answered in the following paragraphs.

I must admit that upon examining the Turbine Pros when they arrived I was impressed with the packaging but more on the over all build quality of these monitors. From the solid feel of the gold colored metal housing, flexible but substantial cord, a well implemented Y and sleek right angle mini plug, this does not appear to be a monitor that will under normal portable use, fall apart on you. Just the opposite, it has the feel and appearance of something you can rely on.

There are also a number of earpieces to fit just about any ear canal. After some trial and error I required the smallest. I also noticed as time passed that positioning can really change the sound. If I didn’t feel the bass was enough I could push them in just a bit and a more pronounced bass was immediate, to have a more open soundstage, just pull them out slightly. I found that by adjusting them in this method I could get a natural balance of bass, air and transparency. I was also surprised by the depth of the sound field, as it was greater than I had expected. There was seldom a congestion of sound or a boxy feeling to the music the can occur with monitors.

On to the sound:

While listening to Eva Cassidy “Live at Blues Alley”, the openness and liveliness of performance and audience is conveyed in a convincing manner. The intimate manner in which some of the songs are heard, as with “Tall Trees in Georgia”, is captured and held onto with these monitors. The full range of Eva Cassidy’s voice is revealed and convincing. There is a delicate earthiness to Cassidy’s voice and fortunately this is not lost with the Turbine Pro.

For years I have enjoyed listening to Eric Clapton’s “Unplugged”. While listening to Tears from Heaven, the Turbine Pro get the guitar right and I enjoy the natural way the voice of Eric Clapton is conveyed. The sound is full bodied yet nothing gets lost in the mix with instruments and voice with both keeping their respective space. Malted Milk also comes across natural and with a great pluck to the guitar Clapton is using.

The Grateful Dead anyone? “The Dead Set” is one of my favorite live recordings of the Dead. Little Red Rooster has a bass that if not controlled can overrun the sound. When I cued up this cut the bass was there but with a solid foundation shook my head but in a way that was meant to be, if you will, in harmony with the style of music.

For those enjoying jazz there is no reason for these monitors to fail you. “Buena Vista Social Club” on Chan Chan comes across with the depth and width of the recording with the textured cascade of instruments and voice pulling you into the recording.

If you like sax then Ken Peplowski, “Steppin’ With Peps”, will not let you down and with this CD the Turbine Pros did not let down. From piano, trumpet, clarinet, guitar, drums or sax, the sound was right and enjoyable.

I can see that these monitors will or should satisfy those looking for bass but also desire bass balanced with the rest of the frequency range, which it is. One thing that stands out is the impression of size to the recording. The Turbine Pros do not sound small. They do not sound like many monitors that collapse when pushed hard. The sound field remains intact and without congestion when the volume is turned up with complex music. At the same time, they do not require higher volumes to be enjoyable. The Turbine Pro is not perfect, no monitor is but they do convey a very good value for your money. I have found them to be a versatile monitor with a variety of music genres from rock, blues, jazz and classical.

These monitors make for very enjoyable portable use, sitting at home in front of the computer or doing what we should all take time to do, just relaxing and listening to some music. No they do not offer the last bit of detail and they are not the equivalent of my custom IEM’s but they offer a very credible and quality alternative to the baffling array of monitors on the market.

Jan 17, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 16
Very nice write up jamato8. I enjoyed the standard Turbines while I had them, and would be curious to hear these. I just cannot get past the... ummm.... shall we say... 'blingy' appearance of their color/finish. How does the look across in person? Hopefully a little less glitzy.

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 16
Yes, I don't like "blingy" stuff at all. In person they have a true metal look and not a cheap artificial look, if that makes sense. I guess they could have been black or some subdued color but they are small enough that I don't find them distracting at all.

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I don't like "blingy" stuff at all. In person they have a true metal look and not a cheap artificial look, if that makes sense. I guess they could have been black or some subdued color but they are small enough that I don't find them distracting at all.

Great to hear. I'd be with you though in preferring black, or a nice gunmetal. I am baffled as to why they don't offer something more subdued/understated. You have only one color choice with this model.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 16
I have to agree with both jamato8 and jude, these may look over-the-top in pictures, but in person and in your ears they actually appear almost classy. I don't like bling, but the gold plating is very well done, and once in your ears, you really can't see the color.

Oh, and a quick question to jude: were you able to compare the copper Pros to the gold Pros? I'm wondering how significant is the difference between them. The gold Pros are definitely in the top tier of universal IEMs from my experience.

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not into "bling" either, and have been wearing the "Copper Edition" Turbine Pro around a lot lately. Though, in hand, it looks somewhat blingy, it's small enough to be rather not particularly noticeable (non-blingy) when worn.

I haven't found too much on the Copper Edition. Is there much of a sound difference?

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't found too much on the Copper Edition. Is there much of a sound difference?

Yes, it's better. To my ears, it's one of the best universal-fit IEMs currently available--well, almost available.

It is more neutral than anything Monster has released so far, to these ears (though there is still some bass emphasis, but placed low enough to work great, and without sacrificing control). It has wide soundstaging, especially with the new, upcoming foam/silicone hybrid tips. It also has what I consider to be outstanding, extended treble for a universal-fit in-ear monitor. It is very resolving.

To me, nothing states how serious Monster is about this market than these Turbine Pros (especially the "Copper Edition"), and the fact that they've innovated two new kinds of eartips (both soon to be available).

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks for the quick comparo between the two flavors of Turbine Pros, jude. I for one have been quite curious about the differences. With a set of the Gold Edition Pros en route, I wish I had some way to compare the two myself...I tend to enjoy greater-than-neutral levels of bass, which is why I ended up choosing the Golds, but it would be great to be absolutely sure.

Oh, and almost forgot: Thanks for the review, jamato8!

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 16
Great info guys... thanks so much. Jude, darn you, you're making me HIGHLY curious about the copper version! ....especially since I seem to gravitate toward dynamic driver IEM's.

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingStars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do they compare to the ie8? since they are both dynamic i am very interested...

x2

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 16
Do these have that hint of "Grado-iness" like the regular Turbine?

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #14 of 16
Yes, the Pros still have that Grado-like sound that I found in the original Turbines. If anything, they sound even more like Grados due to the smoother bass, midrange, and even better treble. The guitar grunge and details are still there.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #15 of 16
Oh, and they compare very favorably to the IE8s. The IE8s are a bit warmer, but have a truly outstanding soundstage. In direct comparison, the Pros have a bit more pronounced and detailed midrange (with the Grado sound, but better), and both have a very extended detailed treble. Both are excellent.

As I said with the original Turbine, Monster is fighting above its weight class with the Pros, and succeeding very well. Jude is right, these are very very good universal IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back