Tubes, tubes, tubes!
Sep 7, 2007 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

onvn

100+ Head-Fier
Hello people..

I recently aquired an X-Can V3, modded with blackgates and custom PSU.. now I am looking into tubes..

I was told a tube dealer, tubedepot.com, which seem to have a good range.. Any other suggestions as to where to buy tubes? They must accept international orders, or better still, Australian tube dealers..

Also, because I am new to this tube business, I didn't know what tubes are compatible.. TubeDepot classifies the 6922's (the tubes I have in my X-Can; Electro-Harmonix) together with 6DJ8, ECC88, E88CC and CV2492 tube types.. Are all these tubes interchageable? (ie. Can I use any of these tubes to replace the 6922's in my X-Can?)

Thanks in advance for your help..

Reno

Sep 7, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 16
Have you tried searching the forum for the information you want? This topic has been discussed dozens of times on Head-Fi.

Search is your friend.
smily_headphones1.gif

--Jerome

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 16
Yes... those tubes are "generally" all compatible in that amp. But... you must take care to check with the vendor to confirm that the tubes you buy are definitely compatible with the stock JAN Phillips 6922's - virtually all of those are.

There is a thread something like "XCAN v3 Moddifed," or something similar which will provide you all you the information you need to know... as well as a few other threads - just do a search.

Also... here are some links that will help you:

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/xcanpropage.htm

http://rockgrotto.proboards39.com/index.cgi?board=q

But... it really gets down to just the following tubes as the best in that amp:

1. JAN Phillips 6922's (the stock tubes)
2. Saratov or Voskhod 6H23N-EB's (or their similar characters)
3. Voskhod 6N1P-EB's (but - beware these have a higher heater range, and you should have the XPSU v3 to use them safely... and some have reported failures of these tubes, which damaged their amps).
4. Some of the Amperex's (e.g. Orange Globes, etc.) are good.

Others are good in various respects, but may compromise some aspect of the sound (Phillips Miniwatts, Tesla 7DJ8's, etc.) - mids, highs and air may be good, but bass slam is less... or bass slam may be good, but mids, highs and air may be less, etc...

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 16
Also... remember... the Blackgate caps require around 400+ hours to settle... and you won't get the best sound from your amp, until the've settled - so be patient if they're not "burnt in" yet.

And... if you've got a custom PSU, it may have enough power to supply the Voskhod 6N1P-EB's (in lieu of the XPSU v3) in that amp.

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 16
Sorry for posting when there is already threads discussing what I asked but I have tried searching 'tube types' with 500 results returning, and through skimming through the thread subjects, none is specific to tube types compatible for the X-Can.. 'x-can tubes' with no information specifically about the compatibility of tubes with X-Cans..

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also... remember... the Blackgate caps require around 400+ hours to settle... and you won't get the best sound from your amp, until the've settled - so be patient if they're not "burnt in" yet.

And... if you've got a custom PSU, it may have enough power to supply the Voskhod 6N1P-EB's (in lieu of the XPSU v3) in that amp.

I bought the unit already modded with Blackgates so I would think they are indeed fully 'burnt in'.. Thank you for your help..

Sep 8, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by onvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the unit already modded with Blackgates so I would think they are indeed fully 'burnt in'.. Thank you for your help..

It may surprise you. They sound good before 400 hrs, better than standard caps but Blackgates as well as Cerafines and to a lesser degree Silmics have a habit of improving after 'break-in' in small but pleasantly noticible ways. Blackgates tend to eventually just 'disappear'.

Sep 8, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by onvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for posting when there is already threads discussing what I asked but I have tried searching 'tube types' with 500 results returning, and through skimming through the thread subjects, none is specific to tube types compatible for the X-Can.. 'x-can tubes' with no information specifically about the compatibility of tubes with X-Cans..

The X-Can can take the 6DJ8 (ECC88), 6922 (E88CC), and 7308 (E188CC) among others such as 7DJ8 (PCC88). The names in parentheses are the European names corresponding to the American types named. There are other compatible types, but these will work. The 6DJ8 will not have the life span of the other types listed.

Sep 8, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X-Can can take the 6DJ8 (ECC88), 6922 (E88CC), and 7308 (E188CC) among others such as 7DJ8 (PCC88). The names in parentheses are the European names corresponding to the American types named. There are other compatible types, but these will work. The 6DJ8 will not have the life span of the other types listed.

It will also take the Russian 6H23-EB or the 6nP1-EB. Careful with the second one.
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 16
If you are looking for vintage 6922's or 6DJ8's, you might try looking for salvage tube oscilloscopes. Many are packed with quite good versions of these tubes. I've found HP's packed with bugleboy 6DJ8's and Amperex PQ 7308's. These have all worked well in my CAT Ultimate preamp.

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronfint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for vintage 6922's or 6DJ8's, you might try looking for salvage tube oscilloscopes. Many are packed with quite good versions of these tubes. I've found HP's packed with bugleboy 6DJ8's and Amperex PQ 7308's. These have all worked well in my CAT Ultimate preamp.

Good to see another member with a CAT Ultimate. I had a Mkll before that. Love it.
To the original poster, I've bought some nice Amperex white label PQ 7308's for prices lower than what is usual from a couple of guys from Australia over on Audiogon. You should be able to find just as many great tubes there as in the US and almost certainly for less. Some of the tube dealers here are buying them in large lots from just about any country who had a large army during WW2. And since Australia was an ally of the US, and Britain they were supplied and stockpiled with huge stores of JAN Amperex and Mullard. These stores were slated for a very extended conflict in the Pacific when the US navy was stationed there. Every radar, radio set, electronic medical device required the quietest tubes or even quieter tubes than would be generally available. Sonar is another good example of gear that needs to be super quiet and reliable too. The need to kill larger numbers of people a once led to some excellent, quiet tubes.
So, somewhere over there, there are warehouses full of rare tubes. You may even be able to still find some through army surplus store like we used to be able to do here in the states. You might be able to find some great stuff without buying relatively expensive gear like HP scopes. Maybe field radios/walkie-talkies which are just about metal scrap since cell phones happened.

Sep 9, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to see another member with a CAT Ultimate. I had a Mkll before that. Love it.

Same here -- the CAT is a fine preamp, and, I think that, contrary to comments of Ken Stevens, it sounds even better with well-chosen vintage tubes.

It's certainly worth pursuing vintage 6DJ8-types for any preamp or amp that uses them. The difference in sound that they make can be surprising.

Sep 9, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 16
Hi,

I can't speak to the XCan per se, but I've had a number of great experiences at upscaleaudio.com. I think it's a little pricier on average, but you really know what you're getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back