Tube Rolling Woo WA6
Mar 16, 2008 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

dcstep

100+ Head-Fier
This is a pretty limited comparison. I relied on the reviews of others before deciding to try a Mullard/Holland GZ34 in place of my stock Sovtek 5U4G in my stock Woo Audio WA6. (I should have noted the name of the Head-Fi.org: Headphones, iPod earphones, portable audio, MP3 players, high-end audio member that compared about eight rectifier and came up with the GZ34. Buddy, whoever you are, I owe you a beer.

Well, I'm amazed that an amp that I loved so much could be improved so much. The new cryro'd GZ34 set me back $250, but it's worth every penny. The Sovtek is a sexy, voluptuous looking tube, with large size and nice curves, BUT the compact little GZ34 has a much richer, complex sonic presentation. Bass has much more slam and the mids are rich with with overtones. The highs are crystalline, with no hard edge. So, I'll use the Sovtek for burning in cans and as a spare.

I used my AKG K701s and Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pros for the comparison. I tried raising the volume with the Sovtek to see if it just needed more gain, but that was not the case, it still sound plainer and less rich. I listened carefully to the highs and the GZ had smoother highes, with more harmonic content. I used Chesky's "The World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings" on SACD for the comparison. It's actually a very good SACD with lots of bass, a variety of excellent vocalists and many instruments in the arrangements, from solo bass to full orchestra. Of course, being Chesky, it's well recorded.

I bought the GZ34 off Audiogon. I'd looked a few weeks back and only saw one or two Hollands at prices over $600. That made the $250 seem a little more palatable. Apparently Mullard bought up lots of European tubes, relabelled them and cryrogenically treated some of them. I suppose the non-Mullard Hollands are even harder to find, perhaps explaining the $600+ price I first found. I can't imagine such a tube being more than twice as good as this one.

The seller may have one or two left. He goes by bprager on Audiogon if you're interested. Hmm, maybe I should buy a spare...

Dave

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 64
I'll report back on my Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 when it arrives in a few days, but my max'd out (v-cap, blackgates) Woo WA6 only has a claimed 40 hours on it and really needs to burn-in a few hundred more. So, I am not sure how reliable my experience will be for another 2-3 weeks.

Mine has the Sylvania 6DE7 and Sovtek 5U4G right now.

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 64
The metal base is superb but the standard Mullards from the early 60's and late 1950's are also very good and there are others as well. The early RCA 6DE7's have, to my ear, a very pleasing and musical sound. They are not romantic but present a good even presentation of the frequencies with a good spatial impression.

Those V-caps can take over 1000 hours. The Black Gates, as you already know, take around 400 hours.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll report back on my Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 when it arrives in a few days, but my max'd out (v-cap, blackgates) Woo WA6 only has a claimed 40 hours on it and really needs to burn-in a few hundred more. So, I am not sure how reliable my experience will be for another 2-3 weeks.

Mine has the Sylvania 6DE7 and Sovtek 5U4G right now.

Hi: Dumb question maybe, but, are we limited to what tubes, either original or substitues we can use with the upgraded caps, or is the selection the same as a "stock" WA6? Thanks, Huck

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi: Dumb question maybe, but, are we limited to what tubes, either original or substitues we can use with the upgraded caps, or is the selection the same as a "stock" WA6? Thanks, Huck

My understanding is that the circuit doesn't change, just the quality of the parts, so you would have the same choices of tubes. Call Jack if ever in doubt.

Dave

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 64
My world has been turned upside down. I thought my W5k + HA5000 was the best i've heard so far but just got my WA6, which I bought from Blessingx, and stuck in a GZ34 and WOW. I actually think I like the HD650s better than my W5ks which I absolutely loved. Gonna have to try the W5ks with the WA6 and see how it goes, maybe it can redeem itself
tongue.gif

Edit: Nope, my W5ks sound better thru the WA6 too. I think i just became a tube convert. This is what I was looking for though. A compliment sound to the W5Ks, before the WA6 the HD650 couldnt even be considered a compliment since it sounded terrible to begin with.

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #12 of 64
With the wrong tubes the 6 can be very underestimated. Get the right tubes, as in a Good Mullard, as you mention and the amp really opens up and becomes more neutral and expansive. Get many hours on it and everything comes together.

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the wrong tubes the 6 can be very underestimated. Get the right tubes, as in a Good Mullard, as you mention and the amp really opens up and becomes more neutral and expansive. Get many hours on it and everything comes together.

Hi: Do you mean the "stock" WA6 or the "upgraded" WA6, or both? Thanks, Huck

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #15 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi: Do you mean the "stock" WA6 or the "upgraded" WA6, or both? Thanks, Huck

I didn't make that comment, but I would say both. My WA6 was stock before I added the Holland/Mullard GZ34. In fact, I'd venture to say that before adding Vishay and Blackgates you might want to just change the rectifier first.

Hopefully in the next few months I can compare my stock WA6/GZ34 to a modded-WA6/GZ34. Alas, I haven't had the chance yet, but I can assure you that the rectifier tube upgrade on the stock WA6 is worth the money.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back