Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Oct 24, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #2,956 of 3,843
Let's answer to some questions today. One is "How a Telefunken 6AQ5/EL90 sounds?". Other is "EL2 is just an EL32 with another base?".

I was bored and bought some tubes. Of course, in my price range I always made public, to stop the crazyness of this hobby I defined 3 categories of tubes and one exception, of course price per tube:
1) under 5 EUR -> goes to our series called "Give a beer for a tube", you can buy it from curiosity
2) between 5 - 20 EUR -> makes sense if you want to discover or have a reason to try
3) between 20 - 50 EUR -> has to be something!
4) over 50 EUR -> you need a damn good excuse to break a principle (so most probably I'll never buy it)

This is a refined way of saying "tubes not more expensive than adapters".

Ok, this really saved me some money because I stopped acting crazy. But also let me find really intersting stuff. As I always said, the real tube rolling experience starts when you buy tubes under 5 EUR/piece.

So let's see what I have done, bought some stuff with prices under 10 EUR, middle range of second category. Fir of all, 2 x EL2.

PhilipsEL2.jpg

Why? All write that EL2 is an EL32 with other base. So most probably biases the same and looks the same. While I have some grey glass EL32, never saw an EL2 in real life. Luckily I was able to find 2 different construction types, so know I know more about these. Some similarities with EL50 and very close or identical to my EL32 grey glass (glass size, internal construction).

First one, which is identical to my EL32 (except the base):

PhilipsEL2_01.jpg

Here you can compare yourself:

1698132490525.png

Second one, different, has some vertical square getter:

PhilipsEL2_02.jpg

Boxes were simple, identical, most probably not original even if they seem old. Conclusion? Well, at least the first one looks like my EL32 with different base. Since EL32 are quite cheap, well I am unsure if it really makes sense to order EL2 adapters. But I have ordered them because those match also other things I'll try in the future, so for me made sense and then said why not try some EL2 if they fit my acquisition plan. However not a big priority because I already know how these sound, like my EL32. Good sound, but nothing new. I'll put these on the amp after I will receive my adapters. The plan is to compare these between themselves and with my EL32. Since bias has to be the same, I can also use a mixed pair of 1 x EL2 + 1 x EL32 and see what's all about. Then we will know for sure if the EL2 sounds like an EL32.

And now to the more intersting part. How a Telefunken 6AQ5/EL90 sounds? Remember this guy selling 5 x Telefunken 6AQ5 here for 350 EUR? By the way he relisted them so hurry to buy because it's a huge deal. For him, of course. Seeing those Csf/Thomson rebranded as Telefunken made me curious. So I found by mistake these:

Telefunken6AQ5_box.jpg

Look nice isn't it? sealed boxes with Telefunken logo. What to say, specially designed for audiophiles, even the boxes. But there is a problem: these are not Telefunken.

Telefunken6AQ5_code.jpg

Because these are identical with my Mazda Belvu 6AQ5/EL90 I have a box here. LOL

So the answer to the question "How a Telefunken 6AQ5/EL90 sounds?" is "Depends". Depends on which tube they branded. Or others branded. But for sure, I have not seen yet a Telefunken made EL90, just several types of french tubes branded as them.

That's it, big step for my know-how.

Later edit:
The second EL2 might be made by RT? Seems similar with these except base color? It might be interesting to try it and if really sounds as I think to search for a pair.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #2,957 of 3,843
Let's answer to some questions today. One is "How a Telefunken 6AQ5/EL90 sounds?". Other is "EL2 is just an EL32 with another base?".

I was bored and bought some tubes. Of course, in my price range I always made public, to stop the crazyness of this hobby I defined 3 categories of tubes and one exception, of course price per tube:
1) under 5 EUR -> goes to our series called "Give a beer for a tube", you can buy it from curiosity
2) between 5 - 20 EUR -> makes sense if you want to discover or have a reason to try
3) between 20 - 50 EUR -> has to be something!
4) over 50 EUR -> you need a damn good excuse to break a principle (so most probably I'll never buy it)

This is a refined way of saying "tubes not more expensive than adapters".

Ok, this really saved me some money because I stopped acting crazy. But also let me find really intersting stuff. As I always said, the real tube rolling experience starts when you buy tubes under 5 EUR/piece.

So let's see what I have done, bought some stuff with prices under 10 EUR, middle range of second category. Fir of all, 2 x EL2.

PhilipsEL2.jpg

Why? All write that EL2 is an EL32 with other base. So most probably biases the same and looks the same. While I have some grey glass EL32, never saw an EL2 in real life. Luckily I was able to find 2 different construction types, so know I know more about these. Some similarities with EL50 and very close or identical to my EL32 grey glass (glass size, internal construction).

First one, which is identical to my EL32 (except the base):

PhilipsEL2_01.jpg

Here you can compare yourself:

1698132490525.png

Second one, different, has some vertical square getter:

PhilipsEL2_02.jpg

Boxes were simple, identical, most probably not original even if they seem old. Conclusion? Well, at least the first one looks like my EL32 with different base. Since EL32 are quite cheap, well I am unsure if it really makes sense to order EL2 adapters. But I have ordered them because those match also other things I'll try in the future, so for me made sense and then said why not try some EL2 if they fit my acquisition plan. However not a big priority because I already know how these sound, like my EL32. Good sound, but nothing new. I'll put these on the amp after I will receive my adapters. The plan is to compare these between themselves and with my EL32. Since bias has to be the same, I can also use a mixed pair of 1 x EL2 + 1 x EL32 and see what's all about. Then we will know for sure if the EL2 sounds like an EL32.

And now to the more intersting part. How a Telefunken 6AQ5/EL90 sounds? Remember this guy selling 5 x Telefunken 6AQ5 here for 350 EUR? By the way he relisted them so hurry to buy because it's a huge deal. For him, of course. Seeing those Csf/Thomson rebranded as Telefunken made me curious. So I found by mistake these:

Telefunken6AQ5_box.jpg

Look nice isn't it? sealed boxes with Telefunken logo. What to say, specially designed for audiophiles, even the boxes. But there is a problem: these are not Telefunken.

Telefunken6AQ5_code.jpg

Because these are identical with my Mazda Belvu 6AQ5/EL90 I have a box here. LOL

So the answer to the question "How a Telefunken 6AQ5/EL90 sounds?" is "Depends". Depends on which tube they branded. Or others branded. But for sure, I have not seen yet a Telefunken made EL90, just several types of french tubes branded as them.

That's it, big step for my know-how.

Later edit:
The second EL2 might be made by RT? Seems similar with these except base color? It might be interesting to try it and if really sounds as I think to search for a pair.
Huh. I have some Telefunken tubes in identical boxes. And aside from a different label I think they are the same as yours?

IMG_0685.jpeg

I should be happy enough if they are good sounding tubes but I would be disappointed if they aren’t actually Telefunken. They, along with Western Electric, are one of the missing legendary marques of tube manufacturers in my collection. It’s silly I know but I like the idea of sampling tube royalty.

I swear that I had a bunch of Mullard 6aq5 labeled “Made in Germany” but I can not find any evidence of them now. All of them say “British Made” and most have the code DA on them. In any case, they have different plates than my “Telefunken” ones.

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #2,958 of 3,843
Oct 25, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #2,959 of 3,843
I should be happy enough if they are good sounding tubes but I would be disappointed if they aren’t actually Telefunken.
Hmm those look very interesting. I think that kind of flat round getter. Look here some really Telefunken made tubes.

EL803S:

1698219532100.png

EL34:

1698219574476.png

EL156:

1698219589626.png

All have stappled plates. Look at the getters and how are fixed on that rod. I might be wrong, but I am not conviced Telefunken produced EL90. I know that EL95 were made by Telefunken in Berlin (so B-code not U-code). Do you have some Telefunken code on those?
Watford is claiming that these are Telefunken 6005 https://watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=4773
These look to me like Csf/Thomson. This guy here tells me these are Telefunken. But they look like my Csf/Thomson ones.

1698219822310.png

And now soundwise, the house sound of Telefunken is towards bright with a lot of details on highs and so on. These are thick sounding, not like Telefunken.
They say at Watford made in Ulm factory, no code on those. Honestly, what proof is there those are Telefunken?

Oct 25, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #2,960 of 3,843
Additional argument that Csf/Thomson ones which Watford claims are Telefunken are in fact French made tubes. Here one I have with SFR logo and D-getter:

1698220304117.png

Boxes and packing seemed close (of course different branding but same type of protection).

Oct 25, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #2,961 of 3,843
I tried a more unusual combo today. Mazda EL86F with some RCA 6N7 grey glass in the 6J5 slots (triodes in parallel).

6N7grey_EL86.jpg

A warm combo with serious bass, not especially technical but nice. I explore how I can use this punchy bass of Mazda EL86 and push a little bit towards a more euphonic sound. I guess I am on the right path. Let's see how this goes.

These RCA 6N7GT grey glass have a nice eagle on the base, probably some airforce sign or something.

RCA_6N7GT_grey.jpg

Cool tubes. I made a stash here of RCA 6N7 and I have no regrets.

What a powerhorse is this 6N7, 5.5W per plate. This works in output also.

1698239834529.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #2,962 of 3,843
But there's something I do not really understand. On the next page:

1698241750135.png

This means with triodes in parallel (both grids/plates together) it's 1W/plate? Hmm. I am within limit at 180V/2mA (each triode is at 2mA, in parallel 4mA).

Oct 25, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #2,963 of 3,843
But the mistery of the evening is an Adzam 6N7GT. Well, except that it has the Adzam logo and nothing on the base, it looks identical with a Sylvania 6N7GT. I tried them on the amp, I would say very close, Adzam was an idea more sweet while Sylvania was an idea more airy. But close. Now, I looked and looked and looked. I let you guys look.

Adzam_Sylvania_6N7.jpg

Even in light, where you can see something inside that grey glass, I see same type of D-getter, same position, same wires, and so on. Even that 6N7GT inside that octagon is similar (above it's on the other side of the Adzam logo). So the 1M$ question is: Do we have here 2 Sylvania 6N7GT or I have a real Adzam?

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #2,964 of 3,843
I spent some time with EL84 and EL86 and I think I start to understand the difference between the signatures of the tube type. On top of these comes the flavour caused by the vendor, but that is another discussion. EL86 is a more technical sound, less mid oriented, more neutral and somehow more sterile. Less bass, but more qualitative. The problem is on midrange which is more dry. I do not know why EL86 reminds me of KT150 and these new types of tubes many use recently (KT120, KT150, KT170). It was energetic but sterile, lifeless. For me, EL84 is clearly closer to my preference, being warmer and more lively sounding, sweeter on mids, but that bass and tehnical presentation of EL86 was addicting.

Fivre6SL7_PhilipsEL84WIRAG.jpg

I would like to know more about these and double check my findings but unfortunately EL84 is not on my target price and EL86 are not so many available. I would target 20 EUR/piece for EL84 and half less for EL86 and since some of these are famous and other of these were not widely produced by some vendors which interest me, I guess my investigation of them goes towards the end. I am happy I was able to make this and try on Eternity the whole bunch of EL81->86 and later EL90. Quite a ride.

I am less and less interested in buying tubes to try, I am more focused on rarities or things which are different and can bring novelty on the table. I have enough tubes and honestly, I already know my preferences. But I follow a few unknown types which might lead me to some interesting findings. We will see about that later.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #2,966 of 3,843
Made some rolling today, in a try to revisit 6J5/6C5 after a long period of not using them. Tried some Fivre, then some Brimar (Cossor).

Fivre6C5G_Philips4654K.jpg

Surprisingly these Cossor (which I think that were made by Brimar) sounded to me more natural and transparent.

Brimar6C5G_Philips4654K.jpg

I remember when buying them I was more interested in Fivre or GEC grey glass, but now I think that these ones are closer to my preference. How things change in only 2 years. Fivre sounded to me artificial and veiled. A kind of fake sweetness, which can be found in 6SL7 also, but in that case, the signature of 6SL7 is much better to my ears and fixes a part of it. It would be interesting to listen to different amps using the same tubes and understand how much the signature of the amp is a part of this.

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #2,968 of 3,843
Made some rolling today, in a try to revisit 6J5/6C5 after a long period of not using them. Tried some Fivre, then some Brimar (Cossor).

Fivre6C5G_Philips4654K.jpg

Surprisingly these Cossor (which I think that were made by Brimar) sounded to me more natural and transparent.

Brimar6C5G_Philips4654K.jpg

I remember when buying them I was more interested in Fivre or GEC grey glass, but now I think that these ones are closer to my preference. How things change in only 2 years. Fivre sounded to me artificial and veiled. A kind of fake sweetness, which can be found in 6SL7 also, but in that case, the signature of 6SL7 is much better to my ears and fixes a part of it. It would be interesting to listen to different amps using the same tubes and understand how much the signature of the amp is a part of this.
Yeah, those Cossor tubes are really nice. If I were to buy some more tubes I would get another quad of these for the long term. Luckily my tube buying fever has well and truly broken and so I’[m not tempted right now.

Oct 31, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #2,969 of 3,843
Yeah, those Cossor tubes are really nice. If I were to buy some more tubes I would get another quad of these for the long term. Luckily my tube buying fever has well and truly broken and so I’[m not tempted right now.
I was less wiser than you and bought some stuff. Well, the good part is that we will have interesting times here trying stuff not many tried. I stopped with 6J5 because honestly, I was not able to listen to them more than 1 day. I have much better tubes here and it's a lost time. I agree with those who prefer these over 6SN7, they are right, but I prefer others over both.

So now, Telefunken ECC801S. I have to admit that from all these expensive 12A*7 this one and GEC A2900 are my favourites. Funny enough, I prefer ITT Lorenz E88CC over them and that one is in another price category. Cheaper. LOL

ECC801S_4654K.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back