Tube rolling on MF X-Can V8
Mar 27, 2010 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bjoern

New Head-Fier
I know there are several threads on the MF V8 subject, but I found it hard to collect info regarding tube rolling on this one. So, here is a new thread...

I am totally new at this, so I need some help.
Can tou recommend any good sounding tubes for this amp?
Where can I find them?
Where can I find general info about which tubes can be used?

The amp is today driving a pair of HD800 from a PC via USB.
I auditioned the HD800 together with a DNA Sonett, and I guess that I would like to find a sound in that direction. I guess it is not completely possible to acheive with the MF V8, but this will also be a fun way of experimenting. I will start off with a new power supply and some tube rolling.

So, what can you recommend?
Thanks in advance

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 19
I thought I would have a bunch of hints and tips on good sounding tubes for the V8 by now.
Maybe wrong question or uninteresting, I don't know.

I try again. Can anyone recommend any good sounding tubes for MF X-Can V8?
Which tubes can be used in mentioned amp?
Where can they be bought from?

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 19
Try this link, I would say for the info is good, but the prices are pretty high. There is a search section called FIND A TUBE, just put ECC88 over there and you will get lots of info https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm

Here is another good one, take your time and read 6DJ8 Tubes From Brent Jessee Recording

Up here I bought some NOS tubes in the past, price and service were good 6DJ8 / 6922 Vacuum Tube List

My advice to you, just mail with the seller before you place an order and ask all possible info you may need.

I would say check out Mullards, Amperex and Telefunkens, but they are not cheap, but really good.

Good luck

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjoern /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I would have a bunch of hints and tips on good sounding tubes for the V8 by now.
Maybe wrong question or uninteresting, I don't know.

I try again. Can anyone recommend any good sounding tubes for MF X-Can V8?
Which tubes can be used in mentioned amp?
Where can they be bought from?

There are several options. As I recall the v8 uses the same tubes as the v3, or v2 (i.e. 6922, 6dj8, etc.). Some of the best sounding tubes in that class are: any of the Amperex brands from the 50's and 60's. The Russian 6H23N-EB, and 6N1P-EB also are great in these amps - I liked these a lot. The Siemens and Telefunken brands - but, they're expensive, as are many of the Amperex tubes.

Search for the v3 threads for extensive discussions of alternative tubes.

Also see:

Headphone amp Hobby Page, Head amp, Headphone amplifier, headphone amplifier kit, headphone amp UK, DIY headphone amplifier UK, X-Can V2, X-can V2 mods, B-tech 928, White noise audio headphone amplifier, Graham slee solo, X-psu, Chiarra andante, head

AudioAsylum.com -- Joe's Tube Lore

And the common JAN Phillips 6922 sounds great in the X-CAN amps.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 19
Thank you very much!
Now I have somewhere to start, newbe as I am
smile.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 19
im using this ones in my v2 and love them to bits. Detailed sound and tight bass. Recently got a pair 6N1P-EV's from a seller in lithuania. Not as good as Siemens. Also had the jan philips that came with my v2 but they are just too harsh for my taste.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 19
Mar 29, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 19
I would recommend spending a bit to get quality tubes. I have gotten several tubes; low-mid amperex, sylvania gold brand, siemens mid level, and cheap chinese tubes. In the end I settled on a decent pair of Siemens-Halske tubes, they cost me $80 a pair here on the forums, elsewhere new they sold for much more. So check ebay, check the misc for sale forum here on head-fi. I would recommend checking different brands to see which one suits you, if you don't want to spend much you can get some nice amperex tubes for $20+ per pair on ebay.

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 19
I stated in the other threads that I use NOS Mullard E88CC's in my X-CanV8P which sound awesome IMO. Well worth the $100 each price tag.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #11 of 19
Great, lot's of input! Thank you!
The first swap will be to russian 6H23N, $25/pair. Will be interesting to compare to Siemens/Telefunken/Amperex or something else that you seem to generally consider as higher quality tubes.

Is there a second hand market for these things? If buying and trying in the end results in a happy listener who sits down and enjoys the music because he has found the perfect match (Not likely, huh?), there will be a bunch of tested tubes looking for a new owner.

Thanks again for valuable input!

Mar 30, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 19
The 3rd link I provided, you can see new and used next to each other in the list. If the seller dont mention any used tubes, doesnt mean he dont have it, just ask, best way, imo.

You can always get from Ebay, but can be risky. Also you could post WTB thread up here, cant hurt either.

Quote:

Is there a second hand market for these things?

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Great, lot's of input! Thank you!
The first swap will be to russian 6H23N, $25/pair. Will be interesting to compare to Siemens/Telefunken/Amperex or something else that you seem to generally consider as higher quality tubes.

Is there a second hand market for these things? If buying and trying in the end results in a happy listener who sits down and enjoys the music because he has found the perfect match (Not likely, huh?), there will be a bunch of tested tubes looking for a new owner.

Thanks again for valuable input!

Remember... you're looking for those made in the Saratov factory with the diamond or helmet logos.

http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #14 of 19
The sound from USB input is not warm and smooth enough.
I have tried many tubes in my V8 such as Mullard, Telefunken, Siemens, Amperex and Russian tubes.
No doubt, Telefunken CCA is the best, but of course the most expensive.
Mullard E88cc does well too especially for the V8 using USB input. It has rich and warm middle, silky highs, strong bass but a bit slow.
I won't recommend Siemens personally, even CCA and E88cc types. Too expensive and too much bass, middle is a bit too flat, but the highs are always shining.
Russian's 6N23P is nice, though it's cheap, you won't get the same sound quality with the same price from other brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back