tube portable amp - C&C BOX TU
Jan 10, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 24
Yup, I just bought it. I was in Beijing and I like to support local products so I picked one up at a local store. IMPRESSIVE build quality, and I'm just partial to tubes in general so already I'm loving it. Will need time to burn in though, and afterwards I can compare with my TTVJ Millet Hybrid Portable.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 24
Initial impressions: doing some quick A/B/Cing with my TTVJ Millet Hybrid and my iQube V2.

The TTVJ is velvety, smooth, and non-fatiguing. It allows the different notes and frequencies to blend together very nicely.

The C&C TU sounds less like a tube amp. It 'blends' a lot less than the TTVJ, but the benefit is that you get very clear separation between the notes. The music sometimes sounds sharper because of this, too. Nonetheless, on certain passages (especially lower frequencies) the tube effect can be discerned.

The iQube v2 has very neutral sound. It is less sharp, and also somewhat mellow. This is not necessarily better: it ends up having less of a 'wow' effect than the other two.

Audio enjoyment was facilitated out of my iBasso D10 D10 > SCSCag > Amp > SCSCag > JH 13 Pro. Ordinarily I would have used my Hifiman HM801 as a source, but it ran out of battery, and ironically enough, I can't charge it in China without a converter.

Mainly listened to Jazz (Buena Vista Social Club). Note that the C&C TU is completely new so it may improve from burn-in. When I bought it, the guy at the shop said to give it at least 100 hours, but that it will stabilize at 200 hours.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know it's a very new product. anybody has it?

Welcome to Audiophilechina

i just don't get it why c&c ike to use impractical shape for the case design...

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Initial impressions: doing some quick A/B/Cing with my TTVJ Millet Hybrid and my iQube V2.

The TTVJ is velvety, smooth, and non-fatiguing. It allows the different notes and frequencies to blend together very nicely.

The C&C TU sounds less like a tube amp. It 'blends' a lot less than the TTVJ, but the benefit is that you get very clear separation between the notes. The music sometimes sounds sharper because of this, too. Nonetheless, on certain passages (especially lower frequencies) the tube effect can be discerned.

The iQube v2 has very neutral sound. It is less sharp, and also somewhat mellow. This is not necessarily better: it ends up having less of a 'wow' effect than the other two.

Audio enjoyment was facilitated out of my iBasso D10 D10 > SCSCag > Amp > SCSCag > JH 13 Pro. Ordinarily I would have used my Hifiman HM801 as a source, but it ran out of battery, and ironically enough, I can't charge it in China without a converter.

Mainly listened to Jazz (Buena Vista Social Club). Note that the C&C TU is completely new so it may improve from burn-in. When I bought it, the guy at the shop said to give it at least 100 hours, but that it will stabilize at 200 hours.

If I want to buy a portable amp that sounds like a tube amp, which one should I go for? TTVJ or C&C ?

What is the price of C&C TU in Beijing? I found that it is selling RMB2180 in TaoBao.

I have ordered HiFiman HM-801 in the 3rd batch. You mean the charger for HiFiman is for 110/120V only?

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just don't get it why c&c ike to use impractical shape for the case design...

they were smoking some really good stuff i guess.

like the f1, funky shape and too small to really attach to the back of anything :/

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nlhk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I want to buy a portable amp that sounds like a tube amp, which one should I go for? TTVJ or C&C ?

What is the price of C&C TU in Beijing? I found that it is selling RMB2180 in TaoBao.

I have ordered HiFiman HM-801 in the 3rd batch. You mean the charger for HiFiman is for 110/120V only?

The C&C TU rings more than the TTVJ, and for longer, upon less contact. I'm not sure how this will pan out on-the-go. I certainly wouldn't carry it around in my pocket. On the other hand, they also have the option for turning off the tube preamp. However, if you do that you're left with basically a C&C SS amp- and there are better options at that price point.

I have used the TTVJ on-the-go, in my sling bag, when walking around. This worked fine.

In terms of build quality, the C&C TU beats the TTVJ hands down. My TTVJ has been here less than a week, and already the volume knob has fallen off. The C&C TU looks very sturdy.

Finally with respect to tube-like SQ, with the big caveat that both my amps are not really burned in (got the TTVJ last week, and the C&C TU just yesterday), at this point I would go for the TTVJ. The C&C TU has a more solid-state (sharper, more defined) sound; while the TTVJ is more mellow, laid-back, and more tubey. However if you want more of a 'wow' factor, and you want your music to sound like it's playing at the newest, swankiest R&B club in town, go with the C&C TU. If you want something laid-back, more akin to a dark smokey jazz or blues bar with Buddy Guy playing as it snows outside in cold Chicago, then go with the TTVJ.

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

BTW, I bought the C&C TU for RMB2180. And yes, the charger doesn't work in China. In fact, my 100W converter doesn't help it charge either! Weird, right?

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The C&C TU rings more than the TTVJ, and for longer, upon less contact. I'm not sure how this will pan out on-the-go. I certainly wouldn't carry it around in my pocket. On the other hand, they also have the option for turning off the tube preamp. However, if you do that you're left with basically a C&C SS amp- and there are better options at that price point.

I have used the TTVJ on-the-go, in my sling bag, when walking around. This worked fine.

In terms of build quality, the C&C TU beats the TTVJ hands down. My TTVJ has been here less than a week, and already the volume knob has fallen off. The C&C TU looks very sturdy.

Finally with respect to tube-like SQ, with the big caveat that both my amps are not really burned in (got the TTVJ last week, and the C&C TU just yesterday), at this point I would go for the TTVJ. The C&C TU has a more solid-state (sharper, more defined) sound; while the TTVJ is more mellow, laid-back, and more tubey. However if you want more of a 'wow' factor, and you want your music to sound like it's playing at the newest, swankiest R&B club in town, go with the C&C TU. If you want something laid-back, more akin to a dark smokey jazz or blues bar with Buddy Guy playing as it snows outside in cold Chicago, then go with the TTVJ.

Thanks.

BTW, someone said BluTack can be used in TTVJ to minimize ringing, don't know if it works in C&C.

p.s. :
Then how do you charge your HM-801 ??
eek.gif

But from the pre-order thread, it said "Charger/External Power Supply (110-240VAC, 50-60 Hz);". May be I better ask them to confirm this.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 24
All the TTVJs now come with blu-tack already 'installed'. The C&C has the tubes length-wise right at the surface, so they have more contact with the surface- not surprising they ring more.

My HM801 charger says Power input: AC 110V. Good thing I'm only in Beijing for a week, will return to the US and charge it then.

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it hot?

If you mean does it get hot, then no. If you mean does it look good, I think it does!

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

PS, I found this post on Erji (ÌýÁËCC TU¡£¡£¡£ ¶ú»ú´ó¼Ò̳ ¶ú»ú,¶úÈû,¶ú»ú·Å´óÆ÷,ËæÉíÌý,DIY,ÒôÀÖ) by the maker of the amp:

胆耳放的胆味,可以做得比较浓、厚,人声感染力会很强,但C&C TU的胆味调整的并不是非常浓的。
因为很浓的胆味人声很好听,但纯音乐就会不好,尤其是大编制音乐,停过胆机的都会有这种体会,我听纯音乐多 ,所以TU胆味不没有调很浓。
阴出胆味和胆+石效果也是差别很大的,相比之下,胆+石有很强的动态和对耳机的适应性。

So he was actually going for less of a tube sound, so that the amp will have better synergy with non-vocal music. That explains why my jazz doesn't sound as good on the C&C TU.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not impractical at all - hip flask shape to fit in your jeans pocket, quite ingenious ..dB

Tubes in pants
biggrin.gif
not sure if I like something glowing and hot in my pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back