Tube amps (or dac/amps) under 1000$?
Nov 3, 2023 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Warsoul

New Head-Fier
What are your recommendations regarding headphone tube amps (or dac/amp) under 1000$? Do you think they are worth the price for sound improvements over a cheap Little Dot MK2 with Voshkod tubes?

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 5
I was quite surprised at how big of a jump the Bottlehead Crack was from the DarkVoice 336SE. I never tried the Little Dot Mk2, but I imagine it's on a similar tier to the DV.

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 5
The Crack is a phenomenal amp, especially with the Speedball upgrade. It's a fantastic project that only requires a soldering station and maybe a strap for gluing the wood. I modified the hell out of mine (choke filter, output caps, etc) but the forums and instructions are outstanding. If you have zero soldering/electronics experience, it might take a couple of hours a day for a week.

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 5
A used Quicksilver is an excellent amp to keep an eye out for.

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 5
What are your recommendations regarding headphone tube amps (or dac/amp) under 1000$? Do you think they are worth the price for sound improvements over a cheap Little Dot MK2 with Voshkod tubes?
• For high-impedance dynamic-driver headphones, Eufonika (in Poland) makes very good / excellent tube headphone amplifiers.
• Any question pertaining to being ‘worth the price’ can only be answered for you by you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back