Tube amp suggestions for W2002
Nov 9, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #32 of 38
Hirsch, how is the Melos with the W2002 when compared to the Sugden and Fischer? Would you ever use the word "transparent" when describing that combo? Or does it have the midrange blur or is it not the same degree of synergy? (I know that Pigmode is selling his Melos but I have one and am considering the W2002 so this would be very useful information).

Nov 9, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #33 of 38
QG, I'll try and listen in the next day or two and get back to you. I just did some work on my Fisher 400, and am enjoying the results with the K-1000 greatly
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
So, the conclusion is Sugden Headmaster is the best amp for W2002!! Everyone agree?!?

Then, I am going to not eat my lunch and save money for it.

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

HMMM, I think Gregor has one for sale.

Nov 10, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

So, the conclusion is Sugden Headmaster is the best amp for W2002!! Everyone agree?!?

No! Sound88 loves his Ear Max Pro. I wouldn't count it out till I've had it in my system.

I listened for about 3 hours just now, and can see why that choice might be a good one. With the setup I am using the lower midband seems a tad light--just a bit wanting of some added weight in that region. I have no way of knowing whether this is a trait of the W2002 or the Melos or both. The W2002 has remarkable clarity and authority, but that slightly thin midrange prevents the musical experience from taking hold of your insides, so to speak. A strange turn of words, I know, but if you were to hear my speaker system, you would know what it means.

Nov 10, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Maybe it sounds stupid, but it is possible to add crossfeed into Sugden headmaster?

There are two options here:

1) Buy or build a crossfeed filter in an outboard box. This would go between your source and the Sugden so that the signal the Sugden receives has crossfeed. The disadvantage (other than the extra interconnect and having another component) is that whatever circuit you use will have a signature and that signature will be passed into the Sugden.

2) The more ideal way of adding crossfeed would be to reverse engineer the Sugden and build the Meier crossfeed using essentially another amp circuit as a buffer. The disadvantages here are that reverse engineering the Sugden isn't going to be easy with unlabeled parts and no schematic available and that even if you had everything to build it, essentially doubling the headphone circuit is somewhat expensive.

Eventually I would expect that someone will try option 2 with the Gilmore design that the schematic IS available for. Like the Sugden, the Gilmore is a discrete circuit and if anyone were to take on this project, it would be the first all discrete crossfeed circuit in existence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back