Tube amp suggestions for W2002
Nov 8, 2002 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

pigmode

Truck-Fi
I can't decide on an amp. I guess the zotl is the easiest to acquire, and the RKV has problems with low impedance phones. I want an all tube topology so the Melos is also out.

What else is worthy and why?

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 38
It's been awhile since I used the W2002 with a tube amp. I really didn't like the sound of the W2002 with either the ZOTL or EAR, but I should probably try again with new source and cables. There seemed to be something screwy in the midrange I couldn't figure out. All issues seemed to resolve with a solid state amp, which is what I would have recommended until I read your post and decided to try something. I'm listening to the W2002's with the Fisher 400 receiver, and it's the first tube amp that I've seriously liked with that headphone (Melos is also good, but hybrid). Very easy and natural sound, clean midrange, bass is a bit exaggerated, vocals smooth and seductive, highs are good, lots of air. What's not to like?

I've got to try this headphone with the ZOTL again, if only to remind myself why I didn't like the pairing, and see if I still feel the same way.

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 38
Wow, I didn't know you had a W2002. I must have blinked.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
What did you like about it?

Nov 8, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 38
I really liked the W2002 with the Sugden Headmaster. That combo worked really well together. I'm using it now with the Grado HPA-1, when I need a closed headphone in my work system. However, the experiment with the Fisher has given it a potential place in my home system.

I just retried it with the EAR HP4 (ZOTl wasn't hooked up just then), and it still doesn't fit right with that amp. The midrange seems to compress, and the whole sound seems artificial. Almost a parody of the R10. OTOH, both the R10 and HP-1 do just fine out of the EAR, so I'm pretty sure the amp is set up pretty well.

So far, the Fisher 400 is the only pure tube amp that I'd recommend for the W2002 (although the person I bought the EAR from used the W2002 with it, so who knows?)

Nov 8, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #6 of 38
How about you listening with my Fisher so I can listen to those W2002s?
md

Nov 8, 2002 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 38
I feel like a problem child--there is nothing out there I want (or can afford)

Kelly,
Are you refering to the headphone amp that was discussed a while back, or using an SET? I have a feeling Doc's HP amp may be a year away or something like that.

What's wrong with an MG Head OTL? What are it inadequacies? Strengths?

MD,
Okay, soon. One of the reasons I passed on that nice Fisher at eBay was its tube complement--too many. Plus its too big.

Nov 8, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 38
pigmode
MG Head and RKV are both a little muddy sounding with the W2002. I guess the headphone is somewhat sensitive to impedance and such. RKV + Impedancer may be a different story, but I don't know anyone planning to try it yet.

Nov 9, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 38
Melos, Melos Melos!!!

Melos is a great answer to almost any headphone amp question. It's a classic amp even if you switch between phones, as it can handle any phone, any impedence and can still provide you with excellent performance.

Worked great for me with the W2002. Technically, it's a "hybrid" tube/ss amp, though....

Mark

Nov 9, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #12 of 38
Considering pigmode just sold a Melos...I doubt he'll be going back to one anytime soon.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Considering pigmode just sold a Melos...I doubt he'll be going back to one anytime soon.

Doh!! Too bad.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back