Tube amp selection - EF2A vs Jade vs HTA-1 vs 336SE
Jun 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DemonicLemming

500+ Head-Fier
After using my HFI-780s and Travagan's White for about two years now, I'm ready to add a tube amp and another set of cans to my collection...and I forgot how confusing it all is.  Cans are taken care of with a set of K702s in the mail right now, but the amp is another story.

Before I jumped out of headphone stuff for financial reasons (car, job change, etc), I was pretty much set on the DV336SE.  Reviews seemed relatively positive, not too expensive, and ostensibly a good selection of tubes to roll.  After puttering around here for a couple hours this morning, though, I'm not so sure.  Reading through the review threads on the EF2A, Audiotailor Jade, and HTA-1, it seems that they're all solid tube or tube-hybrid amps in my approximate price range.  However, never having personally used (or even heard) a tube amp, I'm not sure which would really fit my music and headphone selection the best; music ranges all over, primarily around metal but including everything from Emilie Autumn to Andy McKee, using a set of well-burned-in HFI-780s (no mods), occasionally a set of K241s, and soon, K702s.

Since I don't have an RCA out on my computer, I'd either be using a USB-to-RCA DAC, like the nuForce Icon, or a headphone jack-to-RCA converter...honestly not sure which would work better.  Computer audio card is a Creative X-Fi Titanium, and while it's decent, I don't know how much of its meh would translate through a headphone jack converter and into the amp.

I'd like to stick to $450 or under for the amp (and, if necessary, the DAC).

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 2
Ouch...nothing, really?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back