Tube amp for hd650's, $1000 budget.
May 10, 2013 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

walls

100+ Head-Fier
The upgrade bug has finally bitten me once again and i am looking to upgrade from my LDII++ to something better. My budget is $1000 but that doesnt mean I have to spend that much. I want something that is proven to be paired well with the 650's and has the true tube sound.

THANKS!

p.s, or maybe a solid state???

May 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 16
Tube:
Woo WA2
Woo WA6 (w/ upgraded tubes)
Woo WA7 (DAC/AMP Combo, very good)
Bottlehead Crack + Speedball (w/ upgraded tubes)
Darkvoice 337

SS:
B22
Burson Soloist / SL
Violectric V181/V200
Yulong D100 MK II
Yulong A18

I've heard most of these amps, and they are all wonderful with the 650. It depends on what type of sound you are after, budget, and whether or not you want to maintain tubes. Personally, the Crack is the best bang for your buck if you can DIY, IMO. As far as SS goes, the Soloist is hard to beat, and the D100 is a great combo unit.

May 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
Tube:
Woo WA2
Woo WA6 (w/ upgraded tubes)
Woo WA7 (DAC/AMP Combo, very good)
Bottlehead Crack + Speedball (w/ upgraded tubes)
Darkvoice 337

SS:
B22
Burson Soloist / SL
Violectric V181/V200
Yulong D100 MK II
Yulong A18

I've heard most of these amps, and they are all wonderful with the 650. It depends on what type of sound you are after, budget, and whether or not you want to maintain tubes. Personally, the Crack is the best bang for your buck if you can DIY, IMO. As far as SS goes, the Soloist is hard to beat, and the D100 is a great combo unit.

+1

good list.

May 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 16
From everything I have read here the WA6 doesnt have the liquid tube sound but the WA3 does and the WA2 is over my budget. I would love the Crack as the price is WAY below budget but I am not near confident enough to build it. lol.

I know this question has been asked before but the 650 thread would take me DAYS to decipher as it is way long and hard to get through.

Was considering Schiit but I see a bunch of them for sale used all the time and that makes me wonder, also I am not sure they would be a decent upgrade from my Little Dot.

May 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 16
From everything I have read here the WA6 doesnt have the liquid tube sound but the WA3 does and the WA2 is over my budget. I would love the Crack as the price is WAY below budget but I am not near confident enough to build it. lol.

I know this question has been asked before but the 650 thread would take me DAYS to decipher as it is way long and hard to get through.

Was considering Schiit but I see a bunch of them for sale used all the time and that makes me wonder, also I am not sure they would be a decent upgrade from my Little Dot.

I would say, it depends on which Schiit you are considering. The Vahalla is a great amp, but I prefer every single amp I mentioned to the Vahalla. You can have Bottlehead Crack made for you with speedball for about 600 I believe. Just contact Bottlehead. As far as the WA6 being not as warm, that is true. The WA6 is more towards neutral/warm. It has greater dynamics and transients compared to the slower more lush WA3. To be honest, the HD650 need that control. With a very warm amp, they can sound congested and messy. Just keep that in mind.

May 11, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 16
i am trying to keep 1k for a tube to go with the hd650 too...
having given away my LYR..sobsob.
(secretly looking at Dacware  http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CKC.html    ...$875bucks )
totally unfamiliar with this ...is it good with the hd650?

FOr schiit amp, my vote goes to the LYR...
beats the LD2 n LD4se for a very energized warm sound..nothing sloppy.

May 11, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 16
I don't believe Bottlehead assembles them anymore for you for an additional fee. That being said, another vote here for the Crack

Others that I haven't personally heard but have heard good things about: La Figaro 339, Decware CSP2+

May 11, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
I don't believe Bottlehead assembles them anymore for you for an additional fee. That being said, another vote here for the Crack

Others that I haven't personally heard but have heard good things about: La Figaro 339, Decware CSP2+

Hmm, that is news to me. Thanks for the correction. Well, I'm sure you can commission someone from this forum to build one for you, if that is what you desire. The Crack is a wonderful amp, and performs well above its price. Excellent value, especially with upgraded tubes. Never heard a Decware, but have heard good things about them.

May 11, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 16
i'd go with the WA6-SE for the HD 650. some enjoy the liquid smooth analog sound the WA2 can give, but i found it a bit too slow with the HD 650s. i really enjoyed them with the WA6-SE, which i feel pairs a little better with them. much better soundstage and tighter cleaner sound.

May 11, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #12 of 16
I have always been curious how the decware csp2+ sounds.  That being said another vote for the bottlehead crack with speedball.  Its fun to build too. If you are really that against building it I bet you can find someone to build it for you. Other than that I would suggest the WA2 or WA6 as well.

May 11, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 16
ALO Pan Am.

May 12, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 16
Thinking I may go over budget and shoot for the WA2, thoughts??

May 12, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 16
If you can afford to go over budget it might be in your interest to upgrade your source and stick with a slightly less expensive amp.  If you don't have a dac already that would definately be a place to start if can afford to spend a bit more money.  But if already have a good source than the WA2 is an amazing piece.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back