TTVJ SLIM
May 25, 2011 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TRACKMAN

New Head-Fier
Hi guys ,just talked to TTVJ and i told him i have a sony mp3player nwzs544 along with my sony mdrex1000s iem .to tell you the truth i really do love the sound of this mp3 with my ex1000s. btw this is my first mp3 player and my first and hopefully last iems sony ex1000s .my wife almost KILLED me . like i said the sound is very good . so why aint i satisfied? cause im a junkie ,audiofile nut. for the last 20 yrs it was home audio. i have the counterpoint sa220 amp, sa2000 preamp, b&w 801 matrix, now i do alot of traveling to work with the bus and subway ,and since then ive been very portable. and looking for the best sound that i can get on the road.When i first wanted to buy an mp3 player , i went right to sony ,didnt really do any reserch on mp3s like i should have . but i think i made a good choice from what i read about them. Idid do some homework on portable amps and liked what they said about the slim . and Todd did say it will be a big improvement with my ex1000s. he told me to hook up the slim to my sonys mic ,and my ex1000s to the slim mic. does that sound right ? as ive noticed alot of i guess ipods in photos hooked up from their ipods via usb to the slim. could i do that with mine? or should i just do with he said from the sony mic to the slim. btw how do u guys think about the sound quality i will now have ? i did order it today and will write a review with my sony mp3 and my ex1000s . cant wait to get it .any feed back will be appreciated    

May 25, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 12
I'm not familiar with your Sony player but if the bottom port (WM-PORT jack) where the usb plug goes can act as a line out (LOD), then that is the best way to connect an amp.  Using a line out port allows your music to bypass the players built in amp and go straight into the TTVJ. Otherwise you have to go from your headphone out on the player to the amp.  This type of connecting is called double amping and generally doesn't sound as good as a line out but there's nothing wrong with doing it this way.

Hopefully someone with more experience in Sony mp3 players will chime in.

May 25, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Apparently the bottom port of your player can act as a line out.  Here is an example of the cable to use to connect to the TTVJ:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-ft-30cm-LINE-OUT-audio-cable-3-5mm-4-SONY-Walkman-MP3-/300506245559?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item45f79169b7#ht_530wt_905

Actually, that LOD cable is from Hong Kong - and, depending on your location, it might take a bit of time to get to you.  Also, it states that the cable is 1' long.  This might be a bit excessive in some portable applications.  Instead, you might consider the FiiO L5 (for the Sony Walkman).  They usually sell for about $10.00 from several U.S. vendors + shipping.  Also, the cable length is only about 5" - nice and compact for portable applications.

I'll agree with you in regards to the Sony quality of sound.  I think that mine, edges out the Sansa Fuze ever so slightly.  However, I do think that both are pretty good players.  I just wish the Sony would allow me to use additional memory via MicroSD just like my Fuze does.  If that was the case, the Sony would be ever so better.

May 25, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 12
Yes thats the cable i was thinking about ,and was wondering if that was the best way to go and if that would work? Todd  TTVJ told me to go from the sony mp3 mic to the slim. Maybe because he didnt know the bottom port can act as a lineout? Todd TTVJ also sold me a $200.00 mini used for $100.00 to go to my sony mp3 mic to the slim. He said it was an awsom cable.But if thats not really the right way i should go to hook it up(from the mp3 mic) and the right way to go is the port from the bottom of my sony mp3 to the slim. then thats the way i want to go.,,then i dont want to double amp. i want the best sound from the slim. also that cable link from ebay that u gave me . ARENT THERE ANY BETTER cables out there for my sony mp3? $7.99??  lol i spent 500.00 on my sony mdrex 1000s iem 350.00 on the slim to get the best possible sound i can get. Also its a 1 ft. cord .... i need the shortest cord possible ...The Sony mp3 player will sit ontop of the Slim . I will be traveling .thank you for all your help. Very much

May 25, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 12
I think the Fiio LOD WJE mentioned is your best bet. Fiio makes good LOD's for very little money. You can buy them from Micca Store direct or through micca's Amazon store.

I don't think you need cables that cost hundreds of dollars but they do look cool. Just my opinion.

May 25, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 12
May 26, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 12
Just out of curiosity, you do know that 'TTVJ' stands for 'Todd, the vinyl junkie', dont you ? Most of us will know who you are referring to if you simply refer to him as 'Todd'  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back