TTVJ Slim and Grado 325si --- Warm?
Sep 14, 2011 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a warm sounding amplifier to go with my Grado 325si cans. (and sometimes my Yuin PK1's)  I'm using a 64GB Touch 3G as the source, although I may be adding a Cowon x7. I listen to jazz almost exclusively. Everything I've read about the TTVJ Slim indicates that it has a warm analog sound, but I was hoping someone here had some experience with this amp and phone combo before I pull the trigger. Anyone?

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 31
I'm guessing you are trying to take the edge off the treble on the 325s, right ? I had a pair for 12 months, read everything I could on the Symphones Magnum and all I can say is : good luck with that.

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 31

Quote:
does it have to be portable?

I haven't really considered going full size yet, so for this discussion I'll say yes, I do want portable.

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 31

Quote:
I'm guessing you are trying to take the edge off the treble on the 325s, right ? I had a pair for 12 months, read everything I could on the Symphones Magnum and all I can say is : good luck with that.

They can be a bit shrill with certain music, especially rock. Since 99% of my listening is 50's and 60's jazz, it hasn't been a problem. Nevertheless, even though I am about to get an amp, I have also been considering another set of full sized cans. I won't be limited to low impedance once I get an amp, which definitely opens up more possibilities.

Since being on head-fi, I've learned that:

1) You're only ever content with your gear for a little while.
2) If you think you're not going to upgrade gear, see #1.
3) If you want to save money, do NOT log on to head-fi!

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 31
Sounds like it's probably easier just to change your headphones!

As nice as the Grado reviews are, in practice I find them overly bright...by reviewers who complain that 'Sennheisers' are too dark or veiled.   With the digital noise from your iThing, you'd be best getting the TTVJ Slim with DAC option at least, to dampen the brightness due to white noise. 

Grado fans will be happy to relieve you of the 325is.   You're not going to find much in the way of a warmer amp than the TTVJ Slim without getting a proper portable tube amp 

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 31

Quote:

As nice as the Grado reviews are, in practice I find them overly bright...by reviewers who complain that 'Sennheisers' are too dark or veiled.   With the digital noise from your iThing, you'd be best getting the TTVJ Slim with DAC option at least, to dampen the brightness due to white noise. 

Grado fans will be happy to relieve you of the 325is.   You're not going to find much in the way of a warmer amp than the TTVJ Slim without getting a proper portable tube amp 

The Slim arrived this afternoon and I am listening to it as I write. My first impressions are here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/572006/ttvj-slim-first-impressions

I see HD650's in teh very near future. I also see a listing of my Grados. I almost feel guilty about not loving the Grados now. Like I'm dumping a girlfriend that doesn't deserve it, but I've moved on.

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 31

Quote:

BTW - love your sig!

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 31
Thanks for the Slim impressions - I was very keen until the uHA-4 came along for considerably less cash.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 31

Quote:
Even my uber warm MAD Ear+HD couldn't tame my (now sold) SR325is headphone's treble. FWIW.

They do have nice clarity, but I'll still get the Senns. I may keep the Grados though.
cool.gif

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 31

Quote:
They do have nice clarity, but I'll still get the Senns. I may keep the Grados though.
cool.gif

That is an illusion that headphone manufacturers sometimes use...crank up the treble to give that impression.
smile.gif
But with that said, there's always room for a Grado in one's headphone collection.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #13 of 31
I find the TTVJ slim to have about the same tonal balance as the ipod, but with maybe a bit more warmth in the midrange and a bit more treble (not upper mids) presence.  It has more clarity, dynamics and soundstage of course, but the tonal balance is about the same.  So the ipod is a good test to see if the TTVJ's balance will work. 

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
I find the TTVJ slim to have about the same tonal balance as the ipod, but with maybe a bit more warmth in the midrange and a bit more treble (not upper mids) presence.  It has more clarity, dynamics and soundstage of course, but the tonal balance is about the same.  So the ipod is a good test to see if the TTVJ's balance will work. 

Maybe an RSA amp? I found them on the "warmer side".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back