TTVJ Millett Portable Hybrid = Awesome
Jan 7, 2010 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

jelt2359

Headphoneus Supremus
I can't figure out why all the other threads on this are in the 'fullsize amp' category. This thing is so small! Certainly smaller than my iQube, and thinner than my D10.

Anyway, just got it to use with my JH13s. The synergy is amazing. It is so soft and seductive. It sucked me into the music, like soft pillows that massaged the music gently into my ears. Reminds me of a sensual woman.. Diana Krall is singing to me in a dark smokey jazz club.

Very different from my iQube (which give more of a 'clean' sound) and my D10 (more of a 'wow' noise).

I don't know how many other portables with tubes there are out there now, but this is an amazing one that is probably going out of production soon. Love it.

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is so soft and seductive. It sucked me into the music, like soft pillows that massaged the music gently into my ears. Reminds me of a sensual woman..

very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 77
Quote:

I can't figure out why all the other threads on this are in the 'fullsize amp' category. This thing is so small! Certainly smaller than my iQube, and thinner than my D10.

Anyway, just got it to use with my JH13s. The synergy is amazing. It is so soft and seductive. It sucked me into the music, like soft pillows that massaged the music gently into my ears. Reminds me of a sensual woman.. Diana Krall is singing to me in a dark smokey jazz club.

Very different from my iQube (which give more of a 'clean' sound) and my D10 (more of a 'wow' noise).

I don't know how many other portables with tubes there are out there now, but this is an amazing one that is probably going out of production soon. Love it.

People tend to dismiss this little amp because it is a portable but it is really as good as a desktop. I run my 701s with it and it does so with ease, contrary to conventional wisdom that portables don't have enough power to drive cans like the K701s decently.

It provides the best of both worlds, the seductiveness/musicality of a tube amp and the drive of solid state.

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 77
The TTVJ Milletts Portable Tube amp is my first proper portable amplifier - the Fiio5 just doesn't count
biggrin.gif

I'm so wowwed by mine I can't bring myself to describe how indescribably brilliant the sheer sonority of the warm amp's resonances sounds. Just superb. Would like a second one in case this one dies.

Write a review of it will ya?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The TTVJ Milletts Portable Tube amp is my first proper portable amplifier - the Fiio5 just doesn't count
biggrin.gif

I'm so wowwed by mine I can't bring myself to describe how indescribably brilliant the sheer sonority of the warm amp's resonances sounds. Just superb. Would like a second one in case this one dies.

Write a review of it will ya?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Get a good source like a decent desktop CD player or turntable and play audiophile quality recordings through it and you will find out how brilliant this tube hybrid amp really is.

I believe that people who have dismissed it have:

1. Either never listened to it at all.
2. Listened to it hooked up to portable sources like ipods/mp3 players and portable cans. While it is a portable amp, partner it with upscale sources and cans, and it will perform as well or better than some desktops.

I can only imagine how good this amp would have been if it had a beefier linear power supply instead of a battery powering it.

So good is the amp that I had to acquire a second one as a spare.

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 77
Thanks for that! What does the registry do? Apart from encourage identity theft (j/k)
biggrin.gif

Here's my TTVJ. Thanks to Velogreg for sending it over to these remote isles. Thanks to Boilermakerfan for the headphones too. You guys really make it a great place here.

I would've ended up with a Ray Samuels amp. Switched 'blind' to the TTVJ just because I prefer the tube amp sound. Actually, there hasn't been any significant negative press that I've found about the TTVJ Milletts. Everyone universally loves it
biggrin.gif
Those who quaver over its merits, either don't like its echophonics which aren't an issue I've found noticeable or troubling, or the background detectable hiss of the amp at high volumes and quiet passages. These negative points, are completely irrelevant when you blast some great music through it! It don't matter which headphones I use with it - I enjoy them all far more than I do without
smily_headphones1.gif

Photos show my current trendy set up: TTVJ with Sony Hi-Minidisc PCM Linear recording (CD quality) and a Shurbrook interconnect to the Grados. Size comparison against a CD jewel case. This one is Joanna Brudowicz's String Quartets played by the Varsovia String Quartet. The resonance of the cello and the timbre of the viola acquire a 3 dimensional spaciousness which I could never envisage possible. This is an incredibly well recorded set along with the Julius Zarebski Piano Quintet - and the life that the TTVJ Millett's endows to this already superb disc is enough to break me into flower.
atsmile.gif

Would love to see other TTVJ set ups too
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that! What does the registry do? Apart from encourage identity theft (j/k)
biggrin.gif

Here's my TTVJ. Thanks to Velogreg for sending it over to these remote isles. Thanks to Boilermakerfan for the headphones too. You guys really make it a great place here.

I would've ended up with a Ray Samuels amp. Switched 'blind' to the TTVJ just because I prefer the tube amp sound. Actually, there hasn't been any significant negative press that I've found about the TTVJ Milletts. Everyone universally loves it
biggrin.gif
Those who quaver over its merits, either don't like its echophonics which aren't an issue I've found noticeable or troubling, or the background detectable hiss of the amp at high volumes and quiet passages. These negative points, are completely irrelevant when you blast some great music through it! It don't matter which headphones I use with it - I enjoy them all far more than I do without
smily_headphones1.gif

Photos show my current trendy set up: TTVJ with Sony Hi-Minidisc PCM Linear recording (CD quality) and a Shurbrook interconnect to the Grados. Size comparison against a CD jewel case. This one is Joanna Brudowicz's String Quartets played by the Varsovia String Quartet. The resonance of the cello and the timbre of the viola acquire a 3 dimensional spaciousness which I could never envisage possible. This is an incredibly well recorded set along with the Julius Zarebski Piano Quintet - and the life that the TTVJ Millett's endows to this already superb disc is enough to break me into flower.
atsmile.gif

Would love to see other TTVJ set ups too
smily_headphones1.gif

I have compared mine using the K701s with several desktop amps including the Phonitor, Lehmann Cube, and EF-1. The TTVJ MHP is still not shamed by the likes of these amps. As a matter of fact, it is better than the EF-1 (not only my opinion but also that of several audiophile friends of mine). I prefer it to both the Phonitor and Lehmann, even though it may not excel in a couple of areas that they do.

I have not compared it to a Millet Mini-max I have recently acquired.

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 77
Not sure where the 'these amps are underrated' sentiments are coming from guys - I speak purely as a regular visitor to the amp forums and I dont see any negative posts re either the Portable or Mini-max. They might not be a raging FOTM, but is that necessarily a bad thing ?? Be happy that you found an amp that works with your cans.

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure where the 'these amps are underrated' sentiments are coming from guys - I speak purely as a regular visitor to the amp forums and I dont see any negative posts re either the Portable or Mini-max. They might not be a raging FOTM, but is that necessarily a bad thing ?? Be happy that you found an amp that works with your cans.

One of the regulars that used to say that it could not run the 701s has since been banished (thankfully) but there are still a couple of others who are still on the forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was not referring to the Mini-max when I said that these amps were underrated.

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 77
Apologies - I included the Mini-max by mistake.

Personally, having endured the K601, I really dont think its an insult to any amp that the 'wont drive my K701/2/601'. Forget the graphs, the impedance figures etc - these are just flatout pigs in terms of their voltage swing requirements. I would be happier if I could find an amp that drove my other cans superbly than one which drove the K601 but was overkill for the others, but I appreciate that mine will be a minority viewpoint.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 77
I toast this unique little giant killer. The RS-1s on this amp is better than any portable should. I'm sure there are better amps but the MPH would only be limited by its power supply. For relatively small size and limited portability, this amp would rate well with desktop amps of the same price. An excellent road amp. imo

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 77
I think TTVJ Portable Headphone Amplifier (or TTVJ Slim) is a little bit better than the older brother. And it is much slimmer and easier to be called as a portable amp as it is a solid state but sound just like a tubey one.

This review is also confirming this. http://www.headfonia.com/amplifiers/ttvj-ttvj/

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #14 of 77
Actually Todd mentioned in an email that they both actually sound quite similar. Since most people won't get to compare both and Headfonia is just one opinion, I decided to get the limited-edition one that had actual tubes.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #15 of 77
Quote:

Actually Todd mentioned in an email that they both actually sound quite similar. Since most people won't get to compare both and Headfonia is just one opinion, I decided to get the limited-edition one that had actual tubes.

In years to come, the tube version will be more desirable as these tubes are themselves hard to come by. I am glad I have stocked up on some spares while they were available which should last me a life time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back