Trying to narrow X-Mas list (DT880 vs. HE400 vs. HD650)
Dec 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #31 of 50
Xinze's suggestion regarding the T90's has complicated the process :)  Headfonida had a great review on these headphones.  My main concern is that I question whether my FIO E17 can power them sufficiently until I can save up for a proper desktop amp.  Is it better to have matching amp and headphones vs. getting the best you can for each component?

Thanks for the great reference!

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #32 of 50
Xinze's suggestion regarding the T90's has complicated the process :)  Headfonida had a great review on these headphones.  My main concern is that I question whether my FIO E17 can power them sufficiently until I can save up for a proper desktop amp.  Is it better to have matching amp and headphones vs. getting the best you can for each component?

Thanks for the great reference!

Well thats going to be a different choice for each person, but i personally think you should just get the headphone you want first then upgrade the amp later when you can.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #33 of 50
Generally I'd say go first get the best headphone you want, then later focus on finding a dac/amp that pairs well with it. The t90 will require some sort of amplification though if you want it to sound half decent. It really is your call. Fwiw and shooting from the hip here: if bass is your thing the I think I'd go for the HE-400, based on reviews and the general characteristics of the beyerdynamics and hifiman families of cans.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #34 of 50
I currently have the FIO E17 so it offers a bit of amplification, but not what a desktop amp would do.  I have considered the HE400s but from what I've read regarding comfort and weight concern me a bit.  Also, I missed out on the great price too :frowning2:  My COPs are my fun sounding headphones that I can listen too on portables without an amp.  The next set would be more of an audiophile setup so the T90s seem like they might be a good match from what I've read.

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #35 of 50
  I've never heard the HE400, but have owned the DT880 600 ohm and currently own the HD650.  Both are great headphones and I personally don't feel that they are polar opposites as someone else stated earlier.  The HD650s do have slightly more bass presence and slightly rolled off highs, while the DT880s can be slightly bright to my ears on some songs (not too bad though, I'm sure many people who enjoy detailed treble will like this).  Overall I would say they sound 90% identical.

Really? In 12 years on Head-Fi I've never heard anyone say that the HD650 and DT880 sounded 90% identical. In fact, having owned both, I'd have thought that was pretty much a 90% impossible conclusion.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #36 of 50

Really? In 12 years on Head-Fi I've never heard anyone say that the HD650 and DT880 sounded 90% identical. In fact, having owned both, I'd have thought that was pretty much a 90% impossible conclusion.

Did you happen to own the newer silver silkscreen HD650s?  I know that many people claim that the older HD650s with blackscreen covers tend to be "veiled" sounding, but I didn't notice any veil at all with my silver silkscreen HD650s.  My pair of Brainwavz HM5s definitely were veiled as if someone threw a blanket over it, but the HD650s were just as forward and clear as my pair of DT880s 600 ohms.  The only blaring difference between them were that the HD650s has slightly rolled off highs, while the DT880s were slightly brighter.  Bass wise, the HD650s were maybe a tiny bit bassier, but both had about the same level of sub-bass.

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #37 of 50
I actually owned several HD650s over the years; all were silver screened. I respect your opinion of the two phones, but disagree. To me the 880 (I have the Pro version) is a much lighter, brighter phone than the 650, to the point where comparisons are odious. However, I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who thinks the phones sound similar.

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #38 of 50
I just found the T90's on Amazon for $480.   Does that seem like a good deal?

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #39 of 50
Financially it looks good to me given their normal RP but this presupposes of course that it has the optimal sound signature for you.  If you're set on the T90 then I'd go for it.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #42 of 50
Order the damn thing already 
normal_smile .gif
.  You're wasting precious seconds of your life prevaricating over chicken feed price differences.  If you want to save money this site should be on your banned list.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #43 of 50
LOL.  In the pass I spent an obscene amount of money on home audio equipment so I am a tad reserved now.  In the past I spent more than this on a pair of cables :)  

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #44 of 50
I have owned two out of the three headphones listed. I have briefly heard the 650s a while ago but cannot really comment on them aside from comfort (very close to DT-880 but i think Beyer has the comfiest headphones ever, great build quality too). HE-400s like Whitetriton said, can be incredibly sibilant, at least in my opinion. The DT-880s are also a very bright headphone, from comments and personal experience. I always EQ'd mine down a lot, but not as much as the 400's. I sold my Hifimans also. 

*Btw I can't say what these headphones would sound like through different amps, I am currently using a Xonar STX sound card, may add brightness and different sound overall I don't know for sure. 

You said you were looking for enhanced detail and soundstage, but not so fatiguing (I'd say HE-400 may have slightly better detail and soundstage, but can easily be fatiguing. DT-880s are a little smoother sounding and more neutral, decently dropped bass, and slightly dropped highs.)
Also you said you want the extended bass, The DT-880's do a fine job of reaching low, but I will say it is subtle, HE-400's win here.
Lastly you asked for quality and reliable build (not to mention the comfort) I say DT-880's win here. HE-400's seem legitimate on build don't get me wrong, but I love the sturdiness and feel of the DT-880's, compared to the arguably fragile feel of the 400's. 

In the end, I say you look for some DT-880's if you aren't afraid of some true natural sound. As Whitetriton said, probably best value. I say DEFINITELY best value, at around $200, I'd say its a way safer choice than any other option.

Sorry I cannot comment more on the 650's someday I need to get more familiar with the sennheisers, all I own are the HD-280's.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #45 of 50
Thanks for the great information.  Have you ever listened to the DT990s?  Many of the comments suggests that the treble on the DT880/DT990s can be a bit bright.  I am wondering if a nicely matched DAC/AMP combo might smooth that brightness out?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back