Trying to narrow X-Mas list (DT880 vs. HE400 vs. HD650)
Dec 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #16 of 50
Again, thanks for the excellent feedback!  For the money I am leaning toward the DT880 (250Ohms) $283 Amazon or even possibly the DT990s (250Ohms) $253 Amazon - after what I've read.  I just hope my FIO E17 has enough juice to drive them properly.  These headphones will be for home use.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #17 of 50
  Again, thanks for the excellent feedback!  For the money I am leaning toward the DT880 (250Ohms) $283 Amazon or even possibly the DT990s (250Ohms) $253 Amazon - after what I've read.  I just hope my FIO E17 has enough juice to drive them properly.  These headphones will be for home use.

It will drive them just fine (in my opinion).  My thoughts on amplification is that people on this site over-emphasize it.  It certainly can alter the sound of a phone, tighten the bass, maybe soften a harsh treble depending on the tube etc....but overall its like the cherry on top of a sunday for most headphones.

Take this with a grain of salt as I continuously find myself buying and selling amps despite what I just told you.  lol.

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #18 of 50
As long as you stay away from the 600 Ohm version I too think the E17 will drive the Beyers just fine.  I own 2 HifiMan phones but not the 400,  which is said to have a more V-shaped sound signature.  Hence, can't say a lot about how that model sounds but regarding build quality it's semi-industrial design as far as looks go.  More importantly:  see if you can take the weight because they're not exactly light and for some people that can become an issue during long sessions.  I routinely wear my HE-500 or HE-6 for long stretches and the only real issue I have is that I'm quite lean and the pads exert some pressure on my upper cheekbones which can become uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

To my tastes the Beyers are too hot in the treble, I listen exclusively to classical though.  A harpsichord concerto can be downright painful after a while.  Otherwise they're very good cans and represent excellent value so if you like the treble presentation of the Beyer-family I'd certainly strongly consider these.

Haven't heard the Senns but they do have some ardent fans.

Bottom line:  all 3 are technically good and represent good value, the determining factor will be your sound signature preference and the music type(s) you prefer.  Pick one or purchase via Amazon and use the 1 month return feature if you don't like them.  Any of these cans can be sold off with minimal loss if you don't like them.  Good luck!

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #19 of 50

DT990 250 ohms is $150 on Amazon.

I've had the DT770 and 990 at one time, returned the 990 because the 770 sounded more natural.

After I got the HE-400, I couldn't even listen to the 770 again without wondering how I ever thought they were good. Head-Fi generally agrees the He-400 are the most detailed and fastest of the three, and the only people who dislike it are those who find it uncomfortable, or those who seek only neutral sounds.

This is why you don't have many people who like the 990 over the He-400 : Both are colored, the latter is plainly superior, in another league.

If you're getting a DT880 because of it's neutral sound, I'd suggest taking a look at the Sennheiser HD600. I seem to be against Beyer, but I love their products, but we're comparing things that are in completely different tiers here. The DT series of Beyer are much less detailed than Senn HD6XX, who are also a step behind the Hifiman (in detail only).

EDIT: For home use, there's no reason not to get a fully open pair of headphones. Also note that the DT880 are $100 more expensive than the 770 and 990 (Both around $150 on Amazon) only because of their flat frequency response, a trait that usually more expensive headphones have, with people who have more money going after them.

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #20 of 50

Just last month I was picking between the DT880, HE400, and HD600. I ended up getting the DT880/250 and didn't have any regrets. At first I leaned more on the HE400 but finally backed out after reading about their QC issues and saw the DT880 deals. The DT880's price fluctuate a lot. I got lucky and ordered them at $210, I believe you can get it for $230 if you check Amazon's price regularly. 
About the amp, I own Fiio X3, which I believe having the same AMP/DAC hardware with the E17. I listen to music at 50% volume, low gain, so you should be good to go. A side note is the DT880's treble can be harsh in some songs so I set the treble at -2

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #21 of 50
  Just last month I was picking between the DT880, HE400, and HD600. I ended up getting the DT880/250 and didn't have any regrets. At first I leaned more on the HE400 but finally backed out after reading about their QC issues and saw the DT880 deals. The DT880's price fluctuate a lot. I got lucky and ordered them at $210, I believe you can get it for $230 if you check Amazon's price regularly. 
About the amp, I own Fiio X3, which I believe having the same AMP/DAC hardware with the E17. I listen to music at 50% volume, low gain, so you should be good to go. A side note is the DT880's treble can be harsh in some songs so I set the treble at -2

Thanks to everyone for their great input!

z7nz - By any chance did you compare the DT880 with 990?  I am intrigued with the 990's bass since I am use to my COPs.

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #22 of 50

I've never heard of any QC issues with the HE-400, it's built almost as good as the Beyers. 

I'm also surprised that OP is interested in the 880s especially since he's obviously interested in boosted bass..

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #23 of 50
  I've never heard of any QC issues with the HE-400, it's built almost as good as the Beyers. 

I'm also surprised that OP is interested in the 880s especially since he's obviously interested in boosted bass..

There were some QC issues with HE400 like 2 years ago, right when it was announced and released. That's old news long since fixed, but I guess people aren't exactly informed on everything.

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #24 of 50
I've never heard the HE400, but have owned the DT880 600 ohm and currently own the HD650.  Both are great headphones and I personally don't feel that they are polar opposites as someone else stated earlier.  The HD650s do have slightly more bass presence and slightly rolled off highs, while the DT880s can be slightly bright to my ears on some songs (not too bad though, I'm sure many people who enjoy detailed treble will like this).  Overall I would say they sound 90% identical. 

The HE400s, from what I've heard from others, have a much stronger bass and treble presence than both the 650s and 880s.  This will most likely make them sound more "fun", but would most likely cause fatigue if you're sensitive to treble or bass.  I've known a few people who've owned and sold the HE400s after awhile since they found the highs to be too sibilant.  From reading reviews, it would appear that the DT990s share this same signature as well. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #25 of 50
Thank you for your additional input!  One of the reasons why I am also interested in the DT990s is that there bass may be more to my liking.  Part of my fear is choosing an headphone that is too lean sounding.

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #26 of 50
I don't think you will find the HD650 or DT880 to be too lean sounding, especially if properly amped.  The DT990, while having more bass, is known to have VERY sharp treble, which many people find to be unbearable (majority of head-fi will recommend the 880s over the DT990s for this very reason).  If you have a guitar center near you, you might be able to demo the 990s in person to get an idea of its sound signature.

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #28 of 50
Interesting.  I never considered that model.  I'll look at some reviews.

Thanks!

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #29 of 50
The he400 is probably the best sounding of the bunch they have an amazing almost subwoofer like bass, instruments sound realistic and distinct with amazing separation though vocals are slightly recessed. Also there is a pretty big treble peak not as big as say grados but still this is enough for people not to like them. The bad thing about this headphone well for one its expensive, another is that its very heavy and I personally found it uncomfortable after 30 minutes.

Now for then hd 650, I was honestly pretty disappointed with this particular headphone it sounded very veiled and require a good amp to make them sound good. The sound is overly polite to all the frequencies and gives it a very relaxing sound, but this in turns makes it so that you miss out on all the dynamics. I found the bass to be a bit bloated though I did have the he 400's at the time and comparing them is completely unfair since planar magnetics have such an amazing bass.

P.S. I hope you actually read this as it took quite a bit of time to type out.

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #30 of 50
I read all of these posts and appreciate everyone's opinion and analysis!

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back