Trying to get in to Stax! need advice on price/match for Airbow Sr SC-1 + 212 Amp
Oct 10, 2010 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rokkyboy

Head-Fier
Hello,

I sold all my portables and desktop rig to quit this hobby..but just became helpless.
I would like to try STAX this time and I'm in S.Korea right now so my options are quite limited when it comes to purchasing (worried about tax and all). I found someone selling Stax Airbow SR SC-1 + 212 amp for $550. 
It was purchased February (the phones) and not sure about the amp. 

1. Is this a good match?

2. Is this a good price?

3. I'm trying to purchase everything second-hand, but read someone saying that STAX vintages are quite overpriced. What would be a good match to look out for in the sales forum?

I've had HE5/EF5 with Dacmagic before and am willing to spend up to $1500, but trying to keep it down to $1200 if I can help it
wink.gif

Please advise.

Thanks =]

Rk

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 2
I'm very happy with my SR-404 and SRM-252A which i believe should be pretty close to the airbow set up. I'd say, go for it. I think i've gotten over the headphone hoarding period of my life and am contemplating selling everything off but this setup and my baby stax setup (i love that too).

The transparency of stax is well better than any dynamic i have had (HD650, HD600, K271s, HF1, HF2, K501, K701, K240M, MS1, MS2). If you don't mind some upper midrange coloration, or are welling to eq it away, and don't mind its somewhat diffused headstage, i think you'll be happy with the airbow setup. Also, i'm probably alone at saying this, but SR-404 is fairly easy to drive; i can barely tell the difference between it driven by the little SRM-252a and my previous SRM-313.
have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back