Trying to find good headphones for around $150-$200
Feb 3, 2011 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BeastieFilms

New Head-Fier
I have never owned over-ear headphones and I am looking to buy a good entry level pair that will cover all my needs. I listen to mostly rap and hip hop so I like strong bass, but not the kind of shaky overpowering bass. I have been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50, Shure SRH750DJ, and Shure SRH840. They are all around the same price and have great reviews. What would be the best overall sound quality and satisfy my perfect sounding hip hop needs?

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 15
Grado sr125i. YUP, better yet get the 225's. Out of what you named SRH840 would be appropiate. Look at AKG 701/702 , and Ultrasone 780's.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 15
While I love my Grado's, I couldn't possibly suggest a pair for hiphop, as they definitely arn't bass-focused cans. Also I do beleive the K701 are out of your price range, and from what i've read they arn't especially hip hop focused cans either, but that part is just 2nd hand information and I'm just a guy on the internet.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 15
aren't we all 

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 15
Grado's line(with a few exceptions) and the K 701/2 are not really suited for bass heavy genres like hip-hop.  With that said here are some suggestions for ya:

Denon AH-D1100

Beyerdynamic DT 660

Sennheiser HD 438

Ultrasone HFi-580

Now, any one of these plus your initial selections are exceptional optons, especially for preferences.  So, which one is the best?  That's a tough one.  Hmm... I say go with the Denons.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 15
AH-D2000s might be good. I haven't tried them yet, but they're coming tomorrow. Based off how people have described their sound, they should be a good fit. Can be found for $190-200 by calling J&R and doing a phone order.

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
No need to start a new thread. There is a thread specifically for people looking for advice like this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-don-t-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

As much as people would like to stomp out headphone suggestion threads, I just don't see it happening.

Quote:
AH-D2000s might be good. I haven't tried them yet, but they're coming tomorrow. Based off how people have described their sound, they should be a good fit. Can be found for $190-200 by calling J&R and doing a phone order.

You can really get them that cheap? That's a damn good price for the sound. I really liked the D2000's, probably the best jack-of-all trade headphones I've heard.

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #9 of 15
not trying to stomp them out. just trying to tell people a better way (for them and everyone else) to find the information they are looking for.

it is pretty disappointing that people won't even bother to look at the first page of the forum that they are posting in to see that there is a place for their questions, but I'm not surprised. It's the internet... People want to be able to just ask it a question and get the answer they want without any effort whatsoever.

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #10 of 15
I will do my civic duty for the day and recommend the Ultrasone HFI 580. The bass is incredibly impactful, but not boomy and overpowering whatsoever. I used to hate hip hop and electronica...but my HFI 580's have made me put a few such songs in my playlist just because they sound so damned good.

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
No need to start a new thread. There is a thread specifically for people looking for advice like this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-don-t-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

People often ask for advice there, but don't get a good response. 

I wouldn't recommend grado's or Akg's for hip-hop...thats suicide. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Simply go for the M50's. Not sure if you can get the Denons for cheap...

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
which is different from starting your own thread how? 75% of these threads get less than a few answers and they usually aren't even detailed or particularly useful answers.

Agreed.  Head-fi should have a quota of 1 hour spent scrolling (hopefully reading) before you can start a thread.  
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 15
Thats why head-fi have helpful sections, such as: Buying guide for newbies, a glossary for describing sound etc...

@Shawn: i just gave my 2 cents on what people say to me (asking for advice on mp's sometimes) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back