Try listening to this on your full sized cans
Dec 21, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #31 of 38
This vid gave me an excuse to get my new iBasso D4 out of the travel and see what those duel DACs could do. So it was Macbook direct out => D4 => LD MKIII => HD600. Both instruments sounded great. The violin was not too shrill and plenty of low end for the cello. I had my ten year old take a listen and he's the one who pointed out the gimmick.
redface.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #32 of 38
Considering the guy is monitoring on PRO 750s, I suppose that's a good place to start. To my ears, it's absolutely delicious.

Tip: append &fmt=18 to the end of any non-HD YouTube URL to get a slightly better audio (and video) track. This code directs you to the H.264 version intended for the iPhone which uses an AAC audio track.

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #33 of 38
Sweet jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick. As others mentioned, nice performance. But what is the point of this thread other than the one on the OP's head? A few minutes on my life that I'll never get back.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it on my rig and wish I could get a higher quality recording of it.

Second, when people say "bass light," that's a fairly large misconception.

Headphones that are "bass heavy" are typically those with exaggerated bass used to make electronically amplified music (e.g. rock guitars, keyboards, synths, et al.) sound good. This is because rock musicians deliberately overdrive their amps into saturation and frequently blow speakers from pushing them into distortion and overheating the voicecoils. That's what's happening at rock concerts and bar shows.

Some headphones are very, very good at reproducing that sound. They don't just reproduce it, they also add their own sound to the mix. Just like how cheap speakers and car subwoofers do the same.

You might not have noticed because pretty much all speakers and headphones do this. Every live event where you listen to rock or other amplified music has this exaggerated, unnatural bass. People get so used to this sound that they think that's the way things really sound.

But it isn't. Spend some time listening to live classical, jazz or other acoustic music. Then play that back through "bass heavy" headphones or speakers.

You'll notice that the bass is distorted, does not sound like the real thing and, even worse, throws off the balance so what you mostly hear is sloppy inaccurate bass that ruins the mids and highs.

But if you take something like a K-501, DT-48, K-1000, HD-600, HP-1000, HD-800, and a number of other similar headphones, you're going to get reproduction very close to the live event you heard. The bass will be about the same and it will not drown out and ruin the rest of the music.

If you're looking for a "thump" in the bass, go to a classical concert and concentrate on feeling the thump from the cello. It ain't there. It would be there if you put a pickup on a cello and fed that into an amp with overdriven tubes and into a distorting 12" folded horn, but that would ruin the music. You wouldn't be able to hear the violin over that.

Hmm I never thought of it like that, makes perfect sense though
beyersmile.png
I guess the reason bass enhanced headphones and speakers were developed though because some people enjoy a deeper bass sound. I do recall witnessing an orchestral performance in a concert hall once, I believe it must have been the acoustics of the hall but the bass of the cello's was very prominent over all the other stringed instruments. What you say still makes perfect sense.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #35 of 38
Sounds good on my current Stax setup (SR-Lambda / SRM-1/Mk 2) through a Cambridge Audio DacMagic - - - however, I would much prefer wav or at least flac format, rather than streaming youtube audio.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick. As others mentioned, nice performance. But what is the point of this thread other than the one on the OP's head? A few minutes on my life that I'll never get back.

Hmm? I dont understand your problem. Seems to be one that nobody else here is having.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back