Try listening to this on your full sized cans
Dec 20, 2009 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Specialzed

Head-Fier
YouTube - The Impossible Duet: Handel-Halvorsen Passacaglia for Cello and Violin

My HD25's just sang this to my ears with my sound card set to 24 bits 44100Hz (studio quality). The deep bass of the cello and the sweet high's of the violin were reproduced so well by these phones, I guess burn in and headband stretching can make some headphones sound really great. Please list which headphones you used to listen to this and how it sounded. You can list as many as you'd like.

P.S its songs like this that I wonder how bass light phones could do well with classical music, can they capture the bass of the cello's?

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 38
I should be writing a paper right now, so what else is there to do other than give this a listen with all my phones? :p

FWIW, I think when people say "bass-light", their reference tends to be rock or heavier. Bass-light doesn't mean the phones lack extension or detail, merely volume, and for classical the last is much less important.

Indeed, the warmest phones in my line-up, the Yammies, performed the worst here: the cello overpowered the violin. The Grados and the "bass-light" AT's were both pretty admirable. Actually, the bass wasn't all that different between the two, even though the Grados are much more capable of delivering volume at those frequencies. It just wasn't needed in this instance.

Although maybe youtube quality isn't the best for evaluating bass...

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 38
Lol, I wouldn't go about evaluating phones on ANY streaming media, much less youtube.?

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they both seem pretty talented.

It's just one dude.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 38
Dec 20, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #8 of 38
This are my impressions with my beloved Grado SR60:

The small instrument sounded sometimes so high with my SR60, that sometimes it is irritating to my ears.
However the bigger instrument is good to hear in my SR60, not irritating.
And when the two instruments go together, the sound is ok.

Conclusion: The highs sometimes in my Grado is irritating to my ears, however, mids and lows were good, based on the youtube video sound heard only.

Overall, it sounded so good with my Grado SR60, but I think other headphones would do better than my SR60 in this video only. I think headphones from AKG like K701 will be one that is good for this instruments (which I will have in a few days before X'mas).

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #10 of 38
Considering the focus is more on the music and less on the headphones, don't you think this should go to the music forum instead of equipment?

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #11 of 38
Sounded fantastic on my RE0. (don't have a full-size at this very instant)

The two instruments were evenly matched in terms of volume and they both produced great detail and presence.

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #12 of 38
Well it turned out to be more headphone oriented in the end.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #13 of 38
It doesn't do my HD650's justice on youtube...

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #14 of 38
Comon people, the youtube is not that bad. If your headphones are truly good they'll sound good regardless. Anyone with a D2000/5000/7000 take a listen?

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by stokitw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a CD with this work.
Amazon.com: Conversations: Sharon Robinson, Reinhold Gliere, George Frederick Handel, Zoltan Kodaly, David Ott, Jaime Laredo: Music

I just listened this CD with GS-1000, K271s, and HD-25-1-II.
Well, HD-25-1-II has great detail but crowded space.
K271s has the right space but not as touching.
GS-1000 gives you better detail than HD-25-1-II without force the music into your ears.
Also the sound is more natural than K271s.

What a great CD, alot of the kind of music I like to listen to. How did the GS-1000's do for bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back