Try listening to this on your full sized cans
Dec 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #16 of 38
ok, I took the time to drag out my ad2000's..........it sounded great for streaming...... why full size cans? Are we headed towards a debate on iem's bass limitations?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specialzed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S its songs like this that I wonder how bass light phones could do well with classical music, can they capture the bass of the cello's?

First, thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it on my rig and wish I could get a higher quality recording of it.

Second, when people say "bass light," that's a fairly large misconception.

Headphones that are "bass heavy" are typically those with exaggerated bass used to make electronically amplified music (e.g. rock guitars, keyboards, synths, et al.) sound good. This is because rock musicians deliberately overdrive their amps into saturation and frequently blow speakers from pushing them into distortion and overheating the voicecoils. That's what's happening at rock concerts and bar shows.

Some headphones are very, very good at reproducing that sound. They don't just reproduce it, they also add their own sound to the mix. Just like how cheap speakers and car subwoofers do the same.

You might not have noticed because pretty much all speakers and headphones do this. Every live event where you listen to rock or other amplified music has this exaggerated, unnatural bass. People get so used to this sound that they think that's the way things really sound.

But it isn't. Spend some time listening to live classical, jazz or other acoustic music. Then play that back through "bass heavy" headphones or speakers.

You'll notice that the bass is distorted, does not sound like the real thing and, even worse, throws off the balance so what you mostly hear is sloppy inaccurate bass that ruins the mids and highs.

But if you take something like a K-501, DT-48, K-1000, HD-600, HP-1000, HD-800, and a number of other similar headphones, you're going to get reproduction very close to the live event you heard. The bass will be about the same and it will not drown out and ruin the rest of the music.

If you're looking for a "thump" in the bass, go to a classical concert and concentrate on feeling the thump from the cello. It ain't there. It would be there if you put a pickup on a cello and fed that into an amp with overdriven tubes and into a distorting 12" folded horn, but that would ruin the music. You wouldn't be able to hear the violin over that.

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #25 of 38
No doubt the performance was excellent. Youtube quality is just barely passable.

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No doubt the performance was excellent. Youtube quality is just barely passable.

Agreed, but it was far better than most you tube streams.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #27 of 38
That I'll give it this time. The sound wasn't grainy or mono sounding.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #28 of 38
Simply put.
It gives you the bass without saying the word "bass".
It's cello, you don't need unrealistic bass to reproduce it well.
While my other phones doing ok, only GS1000 reproduce the natural cello sound EFFORTLESSLY.

Lossless ape format

Thanks to you, I also try to get some other versions to listen.
Laredo and Robinson's rendition is actually slower, but I love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specialzed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a great CD, alot of the kind of music I like to listen to. How did the GS-1000's do for bass?

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #29 of 38
Dec 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #30 of 38
Well youtube is not a very good source, but I put on my AD700's and listened nonetheless.
Sounds great, aside from the mediocre quality. The soundstage is very wide and it sounds like I am sitting between the two performers in a large cathedral. The bass isn't low enough or heavy enough to really require any heavy bass, and my 700's handled it just fine. The highs sound very clear and not shrill at all. I have to say it was one of the better experiences I've had with youtube audio.
But once again, youtube audio.
Thanks for this, it was an interesting "experiment".
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back