Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Feb 18, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #856 of 1,725
this bass mod had the same balancing effect on my heart mirror that was too bright without the mod, adding bass tames down the trebble perception because our brain averages the whole frequency spectrum, the only drawback of the bass boost mod with sticky filters is that the glue on the filter is not strong enough and it will come off in a few weeks so you'll have to reinforce it around the filter with regular tape, taking care of not blocking the vent with tape which will boost bass too much making the DD sound boomy
Yes I am aware of the perception but it works much better than I expected. I would be frank that the stock tuning didn't suit my taste with the fairly weak bass and lack of sub and then the slightly fatiguing treble. The taping mod fixes the first two issues mentioned in techpowerup's review I believe. Why isn't this the stock tuning?

Will see how my filters hold up, I have quite a few to spare, lol.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #857 of 1,725
short bus long review out on youtube. Its interesting to me how sensory perception can vary among people. My favorite wine back when I was collecting was 1990 La Mission Haut Brion. Can't even explain why, but it just ticked every box of my palate and nose. I sense that this set hits Michael like the LMHB hit me.

Thanks for posting that. Yes I fully agree. The fellow that posted last page sayng the staging is flat completely boggled my mind. It's exactly the opposite for my own hearing. I think possibly Olina does need decently deep fit. Nothing extreme but not shallow at all. Also, wide bore tips.. In any case I consider Olina EXTREMELY 3D.. go figure.

@saldsald your impressions are your own, so thank you for them. I might suggest you are not getting the intended tuning for some reason. Perhaps small bore tips and a shallow fit? Also Olina is very source transparent.. So try a few devices if you have the ability. Either way, sorry it's not doing the 'thing' for you.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #860 of 1,725
I would be frank that the stock tuning didn't suit my taste with the fairly weak bass and lack of sub and then the slightly fatiguing treble. The taping mod fixes the first two issues mentioned in techpowerup's review I believe. Why isn't this the stock tuning?
agree, most of us prefer some bass they just needed to emboss in the metal shell a circle the diameter of the filters around the vent hole 1mm deep so the filter would nor protude so we could tune it the way we want with 0,1,2 or 3 layers of filters wthout scratching them away against our ears (a no brainer low tech/low cost version of the over-engineered bqeyz summer that does offer this bass tuning option with non standard magnetic filters )

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #862 of 1,725
Thanks for posting that. Yes I fully agree. The fellow that posted last page sayng the staging is flat completely boggled my mind. It's exactly the opposite for my own hearing. I think possibly Olina does need decently deep fit. Nothing extreme but not shallow at all. Also, wide bore tips.. In any case I consider Olina EXTREMELY 3D.. go figure.

@saldsald your impressions are your own, so thank you for them. I might suggest you are not getting the intended tuning for some reason. Perhaps small bore tips and a shallow fit? Also Olina is very source transparent.. So try a few devices if you have the ability. Either way, sorry it's not doing the 'thing' for you.
Well with the set as you mentioned being source dependent and tips dependent (you use Comply, which is not supplied and obviously boosts the bass) I don't even think you are hearing the "intention" of the set anyway. You are "modding" the set in a way in fact. I am liking the set now with the boosted bass, good purchase for me that's enough so the Olina is recommended. IEMs are quite personal anyway.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #863 of 1,725
agree, most of us prefer some bass they just needed to emboss in the metal shell a circle the diameter of the filters around the vent hole 1mm deep so the filter would nor protude so we could tune it the way we want with 0,1,2 or 3 layers of filters wthout scratching them away against our ears (a no brainer low tech/low cost version of the over-engineered bqeyz summer that does offer this bass tuning option with non standard magnetic filters )
lol, I am thinking exactly the same. The Autumn.

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #864 of 1,725
Well with the set as you mentioned being source dependent and tips dependent (you use Comply, which is not supplied and obviously boosts the bass) I don't even think you are hearing the "intention" of the set anyway. You are "modding" the set in a way in fact. I am liking the set now with the boosted bass, good purchase for me that's enough so the Olina is recommended. IEMs are quite personal anyway.

It is tuned for comply tips. They don't add bass magically.. it is the intended tuning. It's fine if you don't like them, im just saying that they need a nice tight air seal, deep fit, and wide bores that do not constrict the airflow.

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #866 of 1,725
It is tuned for comply tips. They don't add bass magically.. it is the intended tuning. It's fine if you don't like them, im just saying that they need a nice tight air seal, deep fit, and wide bores that do not constrict the airflow.
But it doesn't come with comply tips...and I am not thr only person who can't find the bass and comply tips gives better bass... Anyway I like it this way now.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #868 of 1,725
i will when i get home. Did u guys get the card with the lyrics on them?

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #869 of 1,725
Hmm, maybe some folks assumed that the Olina (and by extension, the O2) has a large amount of bass - this is not the case. If you want a lot of bass, then other well-reviewed IEMs would be better, e.g., Timeless, Mele, OH10. O2 is Harmonish but fairly balanced tuning, although I hear enough sub-bass for my library. Just setting expectations, that's all.

If you find that your preferred sound signature requires more bass, then balanced IEMs in stock format won't be for you. If you can mod and reach the bass quantity you like, then great! Otherwise, I recommend other sets that can provide more bass (although you may have to give up on some other benefits of the Olina).

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #870 of 1,725
still trying to find it. Trying diff tips as well, i will get there, need that deep fit
Don't give up man!! All Im doing is using complys that expand and provide a good air seal.. and they are cut in half. Let me do a pic.
IMG_20220218_093245.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back