Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Feb 17, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #841 of 1,725
That would be awesome. I would assume some of us are also interested in how the Olina compares to the Hana 2021, which per *some* graphs has 2-3db more bass energy than O2 (*some graphs) and Olina (*some graphs). And yet on Dan's channel O2 and Hana 2021 sounded IDENTICAL.

I returned the Starfield b/c I just couldn't get into the lack of bass (plus it sounded slightly tizzy up top). So if the Olina has the same or less bass than Starfield, then it's a no go for me. That is why the graphs confused me... some show O2 with less bass than Starfield, and some with slightly more. And HBB shows the bass of Olina and O2 to graph the same.
I had the same experience with the Starfield: tip rolling helped bring some a bit more bass, but in the end it lacked note-weight and i sold it.

While I didn't get my Oxygen until after I sold my Starfield, based on memory, I believe the Oxygen has more sub-bass and bass. There is such good note-weight with the Oxygen that I never feel it's bass-deficient.

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #842 of 1,725
Stock the S12 is not my favorite. It's very hard for me to compare a set that I love to one I don't really want to listen to. On the other hand the S12 is very nice with Bass EQ for me. Extra bass offsets the extra treble and then I can enjoy it. I mean.. basshead vs true excellent tuning. Olina wins for me pretty easily unless im in a stupid basshead mood.
Thanks! I'm trying to figure out which one of these will be a good all-rounder for daily use. Looks like Olina is the answer. I also was just curious about planars and how they differ from dynamic in a bad/good way, don`t have any experience with them.

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #849 of 1,725
if you want more bass on olina have you tried the bass boost mod by blocking some air at the front vent by sticking the included nozzle filter on it ? it is a free and easy mod that is reversible if you dont like the sound
what I would really like is for HBB to use a superior driver to give us a MELE and its bass emphasis, but with better technicals and treble extension! I'm not really looking for a "complement" to the MELE with the Olina -- who wants two IEMs that are almost there vs. one that is all the way there? I want an Olina down to 200 Hz, and the MELE bass for 20-200... ONE IEM TO RULE THEM ALL! Can HBB use some internal chambering with an Olina v2 to get more bass impact?

It sounds from a couple of above posts that the Olina graph that HBB put up in his Olina review is indeed correct in its depiction of the bass region...

with every IEM released over the past five months I am realizing what an outstanding job HBB did with the MELE at its price point.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #850 of 1,725
The bass not enough tight and sub bass ??? !!

you means OLINA just MEH in bass sectors ???
I would say the bass is just right above average. There is not enough tightness in there. I put #200 filter paper to cover the inner side hole and it is better now with better bass volume but the tightness doesn't improve with filter paper. I will try with more tips to tighten up the bass.

Edit: notible bass improvement with Sprialdot tips and #200 filter paper.

I think the good thing about the Olina is that I can hear no odd phase changes between different frequency regions which makes it quite smooth in a way but there is this 15k peak that I do not really like and I will try to fix it. Also due to the smooth transition I find all the frequencies coming from the same plane so there is no 3D effect here which I actually like due to the smoothness as I have other sets that perform differently.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #852 of 1,725
Just to mention this, Olina isnt supposed to be a basshead lovers set. It should have great bass with excellent extension however.
As the saying goes, different horses for different courses. That’s why questions like “what is the best IEM” are completely pointless unless accompanied by a description of what the asker is looking for.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #853 of 1,725
I would say the bass is just right above average. There is not enough tightness in there. I put #200 filter paper to cover the inner side hole and it is better now with better bass volume but the tightness doesn't improve with filter paper. I will try with more tips to tighten up the bass.

Edit: notible bass improvement with Sprialdot tips and #200 filter paper.

I think the good thing about the Olina is that I can hear no odd phase changes between different frequency regions which makes it quite smooth in a way but there is this 15k peak that I do not really like and I will try to fix it. Also due to the smooth transition I find all the frequencies coming from the same plane so there is no 3D effect here which I actually like due to the smoothness as I have other sets that perform differently.
Not a bass head but this is pretty good:

Olina 200.jpg
Olina.PNG

Edit: This balances out the upper treble peak and makes the sound smoother. I am listening to Soprano with the Olina. Great sound.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #854 of 1,725
short bus long review out on youtube. Its interesting to me how sensory perception can vary among people. My favorite wine back when I was collecting was 1990 La Mission Haut Brion. Can't even explain why, but it just ticked every box of my palate and nose. I sense that this set hits Michael like the LMHB hit me.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #855 of 1,725
Not a bass head but this is pretty good:
This balances out the upper treble peak and makes the sound smoother. I am listening to Soprano with the Olina. Great sound.
this bass mod had the same balancing effect on my heart mirror that was too bright without the mod, adding bass tames down the trebble perception because our brain averages the whole frequency spectrum, the only drawback of the bass boost mod with sticky filters is that the glue on the filter is not strong enough and it will come off in a few weeks so you'll have to reinforce it around the filter with regular tape, taking care of not blocking the vent with tape which will boost bass too much making the DD sound boomy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back