Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Sep 8, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #361 of 1,725
Received my Mele yesterday. Got the gold/yellow version. Nicely understated, good size, and good fit. Using Azla Sedna Earfit Xelastec tips L and a TRi Through cable. Out the box before burn in the Mele has a tonally rich sound with exceptional timbre. Vocal timbre is excellent. Seems to suit my library. Slight lack of extension in the treble, the but treble very sweet , but sub-bass, Hans Zimmer, Why so Serious, 3.20 onwards, good, mid bass 2Pac, Ambitionz Az a Ridah, punches well. Guitars reproduced well, suits rock perfectly. Good for vocal music. May not pick up the ultra details of classical music, nevertheless the Mele is really well tuned. HBB has done really well. After burn in I will compare with various IEMs in the $50-$100 price range and also the Blon 03. So far tonality and timbre exceptional

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #362 of 1,725
I'll leave here some impressions I found on Mele's official thread that might help some people here with libraries or comparitions.

1631097942409.png

1631097973439.png

1631098048323.png

Sep 8, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #364 of 1,725
Just got mine, these are just initial impressions as I have not had alot of time with them, but the bass on them is good, everything else is meh.

Fit for me is ok, nozzles are fairly large and not super comfortable.

Compared with the Aria, these def have more sub-bass, but other than that, the Aria was superior in every way for me. Fit was better, detail is better, imaging is better, sound stage is better. Speed and tightness of the bass is better.

If I could do it again, I would of passed on these and kept the Aria.

I have the Mangird Tea arriving tomorrow so that will hopefully become my main IEM to compliment my over ears. At $50, these are good, but in my opinion, save up a bit more and grab the Aria.

I'll do more listening, but it was obvious very quickly that the Aria is better all around except for the sub-bass.

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #365 of 1,725
Mine have not been shipped yet, I ordered on 23.08. Sadness. Have to keep waiting... If they do sensationally well with Slipknot, Soulfly or Pantera my wait will be even longer. :sob:

I wouldn't expect much for slipknot, I love some metal but metal is one of the most difficult genera's for a headphone/earphone to do well as there's just so much going on across the whole frequency spectrum. Cymbals feel recessed, bass is a bit slow to really make metal shine, and detail is lacking on the distorted guitars. Compare to my Hifiman Sundara, which I consider one of the few headphones that are not mega expensive to do metal well, it's def falling severely short.

If you just want a smooth listen that's a step up over most of the $50 and below Chifi sets, it's great.

They are well tuned and things sound right, they just suffer from lacking in technicalities. These are much better suited to things in Hawaii bad boy's library. Hip Hop, Old-school rock, etc.

These do very well with hip-hop.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #366 of 1,725
So I've been listening to the Mele as much as I can and decided to A/B them with other DD IEMs in a similar ballpark and one other IEM with a DD and a BA. So I listened to the Mele, the Blon 03, the iBasso it00, the Moondrop Starfield and the hybrid DD, 1 x BA, Shozy Form 1.1. They are all IEM's that I really like. One thing that stands out is the Shozy Form does not have the timbre of the rest, but on orchestral classical music the Soundstage, Imaging, separation and spaciousness and sometimes note weight is way better on the Shozy than all others (Sibelius Violin Concerto, Philarmonia Orchestra, Violin Adrian Justus). The Mele has a firmer mid-bass than the Blon 03 and the timbre is really good on both. Tonally I prefer the Mele, it is certainly a well improved Blon 03. The iBasso has a good bass hit, but it's overall sound is comparatively darker, and duller compared to the Mele. Although the Mele cannot be called bright it has a more musical tone than the it00. There are some similarities to the Starfield. The highs on the Starfield though are a little more extended, but the bass on the Mele is much more realistic and the timbre of the Mele more true to life. The Starfield does not handle complex pieces well. The Mele is not the most detailed but it's musicality, timbre and tone give it, to me, the edge over the others. What all of have not got, compared even to the Shozy Form 1.1 is soundstage, spaciousness and air. The most airy of the DD group is the Mele, but to really get some holographic staging, hybrids of many kinds will be much more likely to expand the stage. So it becomes beautiful timbre and tone vs spaciousness, air and staging. If spacious, separation and air are what you want you will have to look elsewhere. For my general library the Mele is excellent, very musical, lovely tone, and a pleasure to listen to.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #367 of 1,725
So I've been listening to the Mele as much as I can and decided to A/B them with other DD IEMs in a similar ballpark and one other IEM with a DD and a BA. So I listened to the Mele, the Blon 03, the iBasso it00, the Moondrop Starfield and the hybrid DD, 1 x BA, Shozy Form 1.1. They are all IEM's that I really like. One thing that stands out is the Shozy Form does not have the timbre of the rest, but on orchestral classical music the Soundstage, Imaging, separation and spaciousness and sometimes note weight is way better on the Shozy than all others (Sibelius Violin Concerto, Philarmonia Orchestra, Violin Adrian Justus). The Mele has a firmer mid-bass than the Blon 03 and the timbre is really good on both. Tonally I prefer the Mele, it is certainly a well improved Blon 03. The iBasso has a good bass hit, but it's overall sound is comparatively darker, and duller compared to the Mele. Although the Mele cannot be called bright it has a more musical tone that the it00. There are some similarities to the Starfield. The highs on the Starfield though are a little more extended, but the bass on the Mele is much more realistic and the timbre of the Mele more true to life. The Starfield does not handle complex pieces well. The Mele is not the most detailed but it's musicality, timbre and tone give it, to me, the edge over the others. What all of have not got, compared even to the Shozy Form 1.1 is soundstage, spaciousness and air. The most airy of the DD group is the Mele, but to really get some holographic staging, hybrids of many kinds will be much more likely to expand the stage. So it becomes beautiful timbre and tone vs spaciousness, air and staging. If spacious, separation and air are what you want you will have to look elsewhere. For my general library the Mele is excellent, very musical, lovely tone, and a pleasure to listen to.
What genres do you listen to?

Sep 9, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #368 of 1,725
What genres do you listen to?
Hi there Zack,
Mainly Rock, World Music, Indian Music, African Music, Reggae, Hip-Hop, Folk, Classical, Jazz, Mongolian Rock, Klezmer Rock, Flamenco. I'm an oldie and my genres do not test the Mele out with extremes. My guess is that with anything very complex or chaotic the Mele and the others would struggle a bit.

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #370 of 1,725
Some types of classical music, particularly some piano, sound really good on the Mele.

If you can listen to this on Amazon HD, Tidal or Qobuz, in high quality on the Mele, the timbre of the piano is so good and suits this Satie-esque piano music.

The Album is

The Golden Fly

Alessandra Celletti

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #371 of 1,725
Just got mine, these are just initial impressions as I have not had alot of time with them, but the bass on them is good, everything else is meh.

Fit for me is ok, nozzles are fairly large and not super comfortable.

Compared with the Aria, these def have more sub-bass, but other than that, the Aria was superior in every way for me. Fit was better, detail is better, imaging is better, sound stage is better. Speed and tightness of the bass is better.

If I could do it again, I would of passed on these and kept the Aria.

I have the Mangird Tea arriving tomorrow so that will hopefully become my main IEM to compliment my over ears. At $50, these are good, but in my opinion, save up a bit more and grab the Aria.

I'll do more listening, but it was obvious very quickly that the Aria is better all around except for the sub-bass.
Nice to read a review thats not based on fanboy hype. I've read some outrageous comparisons saying they compare with or are better then sets £100s more and even pairs at a £1000+

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #373 of 1,725
Nice to read a review thats not based on fanboy hype. I've read some outrageous comparisons saying they compare with or are better then sets £100s more and even pairs at a £1000+

Where are you reading that rubbish?

Sep 10, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #375 of 1,725
Could someone with the Mele give this song a listen? I was listening to this with the BL-03 and the instrument separation and bass was lovely, wondering if the Mele will make this song sound even better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back