Triple-Fi's plus Comply large Tx-500 - what a difference comfort and fit make!
Sep 11, 2009 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

cooperpwc

Headphoneus Supremus
I have had my Triple Fi's for almost two years now. With a modified Westone E2 cable and the reverse mod, they have been a joy to use: easy fit and good SQ. The only issue I had was that I could not use them with the medium silicon tips for more than about two to three hours before my ears started to ache from the massive barrel pushing into my ear canals. During my recent crossing of the Pacific, I gave up on watching a third movie - it just hurt too much (and I'm not using Air Canada's phones and turning up the volume to drown out the engines).

I did try Comply's before. The old gray 'one size fits all' had a narrow definition of 'all' that excluded me. I got zero seal, especially in my left ear.

Then Comply, perhaps under pressure from Shure black olives, released their own redsigned black tips - these in multiple sizes and also available with a wax guard. I ordered 5 pairs in large with the guard.

Short review: They're excellent. They have a smooth surface so they slide right in with a bit of twisting. They are much longer than the silcon tips and the length extrudes forward so less of the barrel of the Triple-fi's enters my ear. I have not yet tested them over extended periods but based on the feeling now - just soft foam against my ear - I have high hopes for long term use. They are comfortable.

Then there is the seal. I thought that I was getting a good seal before but this is really different. Isolation is extreme. Bass it full. The overall sound is warmer and more integrated. With that integration, I feel that there may be a little less isolation of individual instruments in the sound stage than before. It is a worthy trade off. My Trips are simply more musical now.

Regarding the thin foam 'wax guard' that covers the front holes in the tips, it seems like a good idea. I believe that Etys have used foam filters for years. I am happy with it so far.

I am also guessing that many people might benefit from the large Tx-500 tips. The soft foam molds to the ear. The size provides a great seal. It makes a big difference IMHO. Triple-fi owners, this may be worth a try.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting custom tips for £50, complies are still fiddly, expensive and don't provide a great seal.

Custom tips sound good to me. But these large Comply tips are a new design - suspiciously olive-like but they are made for the Triple-Fi's. I am getting a very good seal.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 29
Here is a surprising and remarkable discovery: with the Tx-500 tips on my Triple-Fis, the percussive effect in my ears from feet hitting pavement has almost completely disappeared. Thought you might like to know.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 29
I have no experience with the Olives since they don't fit on Triple-Fi's (without extreme mods anyway...) As I understand, Olives are a bit harder and more durable while Comply's are softer. FWIW it looks like the Comply's will last quite a while. I have been using one pair continuously for almost two weeks and I see no signs of wear.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 29
I've used the Olives on my Etys and now use the new COmplys. The COmply seems to be a new and softer, more pliable design. Now prefer Comply over the Olive. I know this doesn't answer the Triple Fi query, but I'm only addressing the comfort of one tip over the other.,

Dec 5, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 29
I used the Olives on my Shure SCL4 to great affect. I didn't really notice a big difference in isolation compared to the tips I was using with my e2c's prior (I think they were the black rubber/silicon ones), but they were perhaps slightly more comfortable. Which is to say that the black rubber deals with the e2cs where really comfortable and the Olives were perfectly comfortable even after 7-8 hours of use (Yes, there are days when I don't take my earphones out at work - my coworkers hate it!
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I'll deffinately check out the Tx500's if they are similar. They're a bit more expensive than the already expensive regular Comply tips, but hopefully they will prove to be sufficently durable. I think I used the one pair of the Shure olives for at least eight months. It's gotten a bit soft with all that use, but not at all unsightly.

Dec 5, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 29
They're $19.95/$27.95 for 3 and 5 pairs respectively on Amazon. Hopefully there is somewhere a bit cheaper.

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 29
I recently bought a set of 3 Comply TX400's for my sennheiser CX500 and mylarone X3i's.

When they're on, they feel and sound great - the wax guard is perfect since my mylarone's paper filters died long ago.

I have two concerns - first of all, I hear they degrade quickly. I've only used them for a couple weeks so we'll see. Secondly, they can be difficult to get on the IEM's. I actually tore one pair (two individual tips) trying to get them on my Crossroads. It must have taken me 15 minutes to get a pair of tips settled on the IEM's. So be careful, and do it slowly. I made the mistake of trying to pull on the foam too much to get the opening to stretch ever so slightly. Though the size was supposed to be accurate per the Comply website.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #13 of 29
I used them on the Super.Fi 5 v2's and a pair of RE0's for a little over a month. T-400, I believe. Of course they fit wo/ any hassle, but what really surprised me's how long they lasted. I'm looking at them right now and see no reason why they won't go another 3 months.

I read on here awhile ago that by getting some soap in your ears and letting the shower go at them for awhile, you can really decrease the amount of nasty in your ears wo/ qtipping. I use face cleaner, then turn on each side for about 30 seconds each and never have any problems w/ ear wax. IIRC, I used to get my Ety foamies and silicon tips grungy before.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass it along to maybe help you guys prolong the comply's life.
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #14 of 29
Bringing the topic back from the dead

Have people tried both T-500 and TX-500 "wax guard one".

does the Tx does what it claims without compromising sound quality? sounds like a nice feature, I just don't know if it changes the sound signature

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #15 of 29
Yeah...I don't wear these anymore on the TF10's. They kill sound quality. Sony Hybrids are just as comfy and provide MUCH better sonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back