Triple Fi's + Hifiman 601 = best value for uber-portable rig?
Apr 12, 2011 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sennshead

100+ Head-Fier
I recently upgraded from a zune 120 with ADDIEMs to UE Triple Fi 10s and a Hifiman 601.  I looked long and hard to find what appeared to be the best value.  The Triple Fi's are usually compared here to much more expensive IEMs (the MSRP on the Triple Fi's is much higher than what you can actually pay for them), and the HiFiman is....well, a Hifiman.  My use is exclusively on the go.  I listen on public transportation, and while working out (in the gym and running).  When it's all said and done, these two pieces together are an ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE value.

All together I spent just over 400 USD with shipping for both the Hifiman and the IEMs (both new).  Both are still available for that price several months later.  That got me thinking: 
 Is there a better go-ANYWHERE rig available for ~400 USD?

PS...yes you can run with the HIfiman 601.  I use a very cheap armband holder that I bought for a couple bucks.  It was designed for an ipod, but it is really stretchy and holds the 601 very securely.  I've run with it for 6-7 miles at a time and not only does it not bounce, but it's light enough that I forget it's there...and did I mention the sound is RIDICULOUSLY good (as has been said exactly a jillion times on head-fi...there is no comparison with the more popular sources).

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 15
Wow, you started a whole new thread to justify your purchases to everyone.

Personally, I think price/performace ratio would be better w/ a Clip +, 32gb sdhc, rockbox & either some RE0's or ER4s. You'd even have money left over to get a slim amp if you feel it's needed. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 15
jleewach-  C'mon that's a little 'conclusion-jumpy' isn't it?  Justifying my purchase had absolutely nothing to do with my post.  I had two reasons:

1. I have been extremely happy with the value of both components and the sound they produce when put together and wanted to praise both for sq and portability
2. Find out if there are similar or perhaps even better bangs for the buck when portability is a primary consideration.

Regarding the RE0's.  Yeah, to think they were giving those away for free with the HIFIMAN players a few months ago!  Unfortunately I wasn't in the market quite yet.  bummer.

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 15
Sorry if it came across as rude. I didn't intend it that way. We (myself included) are all trying to justify our purchases to each other. This forum is a huge collection of people trying to tell themselves that their money supply hasn't died in vain. :)

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 15
I don't see the HiFiMan as nearly the value that you do.  Check an RMAA test to confirm that it has rolled treble.  In fact, it might one of the worst values I've ever seen in this hobby, with the obvious exception of ridiculously overpriced cables. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 15
What source do you prefer when it comes to something small and light enough to run with, currently available, and that has no need to be sent off for "upgrades"?

PS...for me it's a toss up between the cables and the diminishing returns on the really high end phones that get into the high end speaker price range.  Or the "I could go and see several of these groups live for that price" range.

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 15
Clip+ for DAP. 

I don't think you can touch the triple.fi's, in terms of doing better for value.  I can't stand their fit, though, so as nice a value as they are, I would go for something that has better ergonomics.  If you want the best universal IEM currently available, the Westone 4 is the ticket. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 15
I think I'll need to check out the Clip+.  One of my biggest beefs with my previous players was the fact that they had limited space (except the zune 120...but sq wasn't really up to par).  I didn't know there were other players with expandable memory.  And geez, at that price you could afford to make a mistake.  Thanks!

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
I think I'll need to check out the Clip+.  One of my biggest beefs with my previous players was the fact that they had limited space (except the zune 120...but sq wasn't really up to par).  I didn't know there were other players with expandable memory.  And geez, at that price you could afford to make a mistake.  Thanks!

I bit the bullet about a month ago and got a Sansa Clip+, and I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. At least I wasn't 
etysmile.gif

It's also probably one of the best DAPs for running. No armband required.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 15
Not to mention that it also sounds awesome with my TF10s. I had to use a FiiO E5 with my iPod Classic to get similar results. On the Sansa, I got the same sound without the amp. I know it probably isn't saying a whole lot given that the E5 is by no means a high end amp, but I just thought I'd put that out there.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #12 of 15
To each his own. I haven't heard a 601 so no comment but I'm not a tf10 fan so your setup wouldn't work for me. I'm always surprised that players like the zoom h2 aren't more noticed here. http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h2  
Its bulkier than I want for a portable but about the same size as 601 and cheap. ($130) 24/96 capable, wav and mp3 only.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #14 of 15
i have cli + with triple fi too. Its a very nice compination , although i prefer the pk2 with it , due to fit problems with the tripl fi.

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 15
I bought my clip+ refurbed for about $34, the 32gb card was $40. Haven't seen anything new or used with that much memory or functionality for anywhere near $75. Phones are a bit more subjective but if you can get any kind of acceptable fit with TF10 then they are hard to beat pound for pound. That is a pretty big if though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back