TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Jul 14, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #19,668 of 24,683
Should have known at the beginning that the promise of a 6 driver IEM for $300 Canadian was too good to be true. I hung in there for a year plus, but couldn't hang any longer. I truly hope that they by some miracle can turn things around and start to deliver.
Sorry you had to go through that.
I also hope Trinity turns around and I'm still hanging around my order.

I sent Kieran an email monday about what's the status of shipments of PM6 and hunters. I didn't about my order specifically. He did say "your pm6 should be shipping this week. Thank you for your patience:k701smile:"

Even though it didn't ship this week.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #19,669 of 24,683
well, add me to the list of people unsure what to do with my Trinity orders :frowning2: currently waiting for:

Air (backed the kickstarter)
PM-6 (ordered last August)
Icarus 3 (ordered in March)

I ordered the Icarus after the litz cable i ordered for the PM-6 arrived and it seemed like things were going somewhere, but then of course i've heard nothing since and I have no other IEMs that use the .78mm connector to try it with. The 6 is out of paypal protection so i'm in trinitys hands, so I can't decide if I should try to cancel or not.

The Icarus is stil under paypal protection, and that order won't be lasting past that period at least.

I suppose I should look at other things the cable might fit while I think... As far as cheap stuff goes, I don't think the KS stuff will work?

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #19,671 of 24,683
You guys are making me want the ZS5 for my collection now - this hobby is relentless! :wink:

For the record (and just in case anyone is interested), the Hunter definitely sounds better to my ears running balanced with the new 8-core Litz cable. Admittedly, it's from the QP2R so that makes pretty much everything sound better, but with a bit more power pushing through, the bass seems to have thickened up a bit on my favourite gold filters and it has taken more of an edge off the treble without losing the detail. Separation/crosstalk is a little improved as well.

I know Bob has an Acoustic Research M2 or M20 as his audiophile DAP (or did when he used to frequent the pages here), so I wonder if he is tuning the higher end models using that as a reference? Both models kick out a LOT of driving power, so would explain why the Hunter definitely lights up with more juice. Just a guess.

@Midgetguy - will be interested to know what you think as and when you get your cabling - one thing you'll be happy to hear is that the little notch in the Hunter 2 pin connectors ISN'T on the Litz cables, so they can be used with other gear. They also fit just fine into the Hunter slots, so it's not such an unusual decision from Bob to put that there in the end.

The cables are thicker then a rapper's bling and not the most flexible, but don't have memory wire and also use a common sense but quite frankly genius chin slider - a piece of thick rubberised elastic you just roll up and down the cable. Combined with the weight of the cable, it's doing a great job keeping it in place over my ears and it feels like a good aftermarket upgrade.

All in all, while I'm still not able to condone or even hazard a guess at the current Trinity delivery behaviour (and have even sent an email to them saying as much), the cables and Kombi tips do bring the Hunter a little closer to the sort of high end performance people were hoping for when we all jumped aboard this crazy train 12-odd months back. Fingers crossed most of you guys get to hear this soon, and don't pass final judgement on the Hunters until you have the full package.

For the record, I'm neither a cable believer or agnostic, and not a devout "balanced if best" evangelist, so take these observations at face value as that is what I am hearing. Also, if Trinity just included one 3.5mm and one 2.5mm Litz cable from the get go then I think the overall wow factor of the Hunter would definitely have been higher, so I'm still confused why they didn't. Hey ho.
I didn't expect to the Litz cable to be incompatible with other IEMs to begin with, so that's good news to hear from you. It's the socket that has the male notch and the cable has the female notch. As such, even the standard braided cables would fit other recessed socket IEMs, but key point was that other standard cables would not fit the Hunter socket due to other connectors not having a female notch to match the male notch in the socket. I do wonder what I'll think about the cable. I'm also not a cable die -hard or even a balanced source user. They'll simply have to take your word about the balanced usage as I will continue to rock single-ended out of the trusty iPod Touch 5g. Not like they'll have a hard time trusting what you write :wink:. I do look forward to seeing how the ergonomics are though; cable ergonomics are very important to me. While I like the standard braided cable, I don't feel like it and its strain relief is up to the task in terms of weight threshold. Now, the Hunter isn't a super heavy IEM, but it does still make the cabling above the y-split and the strain reliefs at the connectors seem rather limp and flimsy.

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #19,672 of 24,683
Well I am another one that has given up waiting and bailed out. I cancelled my Hunter order on Wednesday. Kieran processed the cancellation and refund the same day - it showed up on my credit card account today.
I decided to not wait any longer because I'm going to Canjam London tomorrow which is an excellent opportunity to listen to a number of possible alternatives.
Good luck to you folks still hanging in there!

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #19,673 of 24,683
Well I am another one that has given up waiting and bailed out. I cancelled my Hunter order on Wednesday. Kieran processed the cancellation and refund the same day - it showed up on my credit card account today.
I decided to not wait any longer because I'm going to Canjam London tomorrow which is an excellent opportunity to listen to a number of possible alternatives.
Good luck to you folks still hanging in there!

Would love to here your impression on canjam and some good alternatives.

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #19,674 of 24,683
are you living near London? If yes, then I guess you should visit CanJam tomorrow and meet Bob there.
you can also test hunter and other trinity products(if exists) and share your experience here:)

Sorry I'm too far away about 2 and a half hours drive, and London is a nightmare driving at the best of times , I know I actually originally come from just outside London... Also last thing I want is to listen to something im not going to get anymore!
I spoke to schiit audio today and they asked me also if i could get to camjam as i could compare jotunheim and Valhalla 2 and lyr 2 , he ( a guy called Mark dolbear, schiit eu) also told me that if i was around to take delivery it is possible to send me the amps to try out first, obviously with a deposit and delivery costs buy hey that's a great service for you.

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #19,675 of 24,683
I ordered yesterday 3:00 pm or so Mountain Time and got the email that they have shipped as well. E-mailed Kieran and Bob around the same time yesterday (3:00pm) to cancel my PM6 and got my refund via paypal refund this morning. Kieran also sent me a reply saying are you sure we are expecting more to be arrive this week. Glad to be off this crazy train.

Did you purchase through the site or through Kickstarter/Indiegogo??

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #19,676 of 24,683
I didn't expect to the Litz cable to be incompatible with other IEMs to begin with, so that's good news to hear from you. It's the socket that has the male notch and the cable has the female notch. As such, even the standard braided cables would fit other recessed socket IEMs, but key point was that other standard cables would not fit the Hunter socket due to other connectors not having a female notch to match the male notch in the socket. I do wonder what I'll think about the cable. I'm also not a cable die -hard or even a balanced source user. They'll simply have to take your word about the balanced usage as I will continue to rock single-ended out of the trusty iPod Touch 5g. Not like they'll have a hard time trusting what you write :wink:. I do look forward to seeing how the ergonomics are though; cable ergonomics are very important to me. While I like the standard braided cable, I don't feel like it and its strain relief is up to the task in terms of weight threshold. Now, the Hunter isn't a super heavy IEM, but it does still make the cabling above the y-split and the strain reliefs at the connectors seem rather limp and flimsy.

One thing the 8-wire cable isn't is flimsy, so you should be fine there. Someone in my office commented my neck would probably break before the cable if I got it stuck in a lift door... :wink: Ergonomics are ok, but nowhere near as supple as something like the Effect Audio range. The chin slider is definitely required to keep the cables from misbehaving too. To give you some context, the 4-braid wires above the y-split are a shade thicker than the bottom half of their normal braided cable, and the cabling from the connector to the Y is roughly the same diameter as the connector itself. It is an impressively thick cable. One upside of not being overly flexible is the lack of tangling, too.

Have attached a pic so you can get a better idea of scale.
IMG_20170714_174339048.jpg

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #19,678 of 24,683
Can you pls take some more photos of 8w Litz cables especially at chin slider and connections to the iem?
Thanks in advance

Got one shot with all pieces in - the chin slider is literally a thick piece of rubber you roll up and down. So simple I'm not sure why I haven't seen it before - guess it only works well on super thick cables.
IMG_20170714_174908766.jpg
IMG_20170714_174908766.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back