TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Apr 6, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #13,638 of 24,683
Anyone experiencing sibilance with the new Masters? My pair seem to have a rather harsh treble somehow compared to the PM4s. I've tried the gun metal filtered, silver and silver damped and the same thing happens.

Perhaps the new green and blue filters do something? I can't see any description for them so I don't really know what they're supposed to do, may give them a whirl.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #13,639 of 24,683
Anyone experiencing sibilance with the new Masters? My pair seem to have a rather harsh treble somehow compared to the PM4s. I've tried the gun metal filtered, silver and silver damped and the same thing happens.

Perhaps the new green and blue filters do something? I can't see any description for them so I don't really know what they're supposed to do, may give them a whirl.

Ugh. Hoping this is not the case. My sw3s have this. Near perfect iem....ruined by sibilance.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #13,640 of 24,683
I'm still waiting on the Master's, so can't compare them yet, but I've spent a while messing with the filters.
Impressions..

At first, I thought they didn't sound as good as my Vyrus 1's. They didn't sound as full and something didn't sound right. Then I realised something... The tips weren’t as far down the tip as they could have been... they are a bit of a person to get on sometimes. The difference was ridiculous! I'm certain that this is something most of you are mocking me from behind your screen about lol... but It wasn't even that far off! I pushed the tip down a little more and BOOM!!! Spacious, full bodied sound with PLENTY of detail!!! I even listened to a song I don't really 'listen to' (Thunderhorse by Metalocalypse lol), and there was an extra guitar track I don't remember hearing before! To be fair, I didn't try with the Vyrus 1, and am sure it will be just as clear with them, but it just took me back a bit!

Now I know most of you are a different audience, and you know about these things... but if you showed these to anyone else, and asked how much they thing they cost... there's no way they'd say £59!!!  (or less with the discount :wink: ) The packaging, the accessories, and finish, and obviously the SOUND.

Now some personal opinions:

For me... I slightly prefer the shape of the Vyrus 1, as the connector gave me a little more to grip on to when trying to shove them down my tiny ear canals. The lack of that bit just made them a little fiddly to put in (not much though, I'm just saying). The Vyrus 2 will definitely be more robust with the high quality cable (which feels REALLY nice BTW).

The ability to swap the cables on the Vyrus 1 did make them seem more premium - but if this comes at the expense of the durability, It's easy to see why this decision was made. The cable on the Vyrus 2 feels very high quality and not like a trade off at all.

The blocks of aluminium with the filters in look good for display purposes, but not as good for portability. Having said that... it's rare that ever take my Vyrus 1 filters with me to change them. It's a fair old block though! they could have saved some money and made it half the thickness! lol

So, I have Vyrus 1 & 2's, and am waiting for the Master's to arrive (once they've been shipped). I've not decided what to do with one of my pairs of Vyrus's yet... keep the 2's for the Gym and out and about...give the 1's to my Dad.. Use the Masters for more serious listening... or just keep them all to myself!!!!

I said this about the Vyrus 1's.. but if you're reading this and wondering if you should buy some or not.. just do it! They are fantastic little things, and will only be better if you have something to drive them. They sound great through my IPhone and Axon mini, and that's without driving!

Superb little things, with unbelievable sound for their size and price! Well worth the wait, and can't wait to listen to the Masters!! 

Just curious, but how far did you push them down exactly?
There's a kind of metal lip that seems like the intentional limit point. Then a smooth area, followed by another lip at the base.
That smooth area has a tiny hole it seems; a bass port I'm guessing?
Did you push the tip over that bass port/vent or just to the first lip (from the top of the filter)?

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #13,642 of 24,683
Seems like the other set of filters reduces the sibilance slightly but it's still present, I think the more narrow soundstage of the new Master might be what's causing the sibilance to stand out.

I'm kind of appreciating my PM4s more at this point in time which is a bit of bummer since the Master looks nice. The bass is great, but the sibilance is really killing it for me right now.

Hopefully I just have a faulty unit or perhaps my ears are faulty..

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #13,643 of 24,683
Seems like the other set of filters reduces the sibilance slightly but it's still present, I think the more narrow soundstage of the new Master might be what's causing the sibilance to stand out.

I'm kind of appreciating my PM4s more at this point in time which is a bit of bummer since the Master looks nice. The bass is great, but the sibilance is really killing it for me right now.

Play three doors down - kryptonite. You will know for sure.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #13,644 of 24,683
  Well, I too got my Vyrus 2's delivered today..
Have to say, was a bit of a shock.. I thought (from the pics on the webpage), they were going to be matte black, or at least gunmetal.
Not much keen on the aluminium look, but I guess that's partly because of different expectations lol
tongue.gif

Haven't listened to them yet.
Will post on here when I do, if there's anything noteworthy immediately, otherwise after a period of (brain) burn-in.
I haven't heard the original Vyrus, but I've heard PM4 and Hyperion plenty :)

Will remember to push those tips down properly too
tongue_smile.gif

Yeah, my exact thoughts when I saw the pics of the Vyrus V2 earlier. I really liked the gunmetal finish, not so much a fan of this polished aluminum. I knew the pics on the website were just the old pics zoomed in with a gradient, but I had hoped they preserved the gunmetal color. Oh well, not a huge issue in the grand scheme of things
tongue.gif

I am using a Violectric set up, amp and DAC fed from my Squeezebox Touch connected to a MacBook Pro. At first they sounded not quite right for my ears, so I changed to the gold filters with spinfit tips and ran through my test tracks. As I listened they began to fly, they are a mixture of analytical and fun which really appeals to me. But, I have very small ear canals and it might be that the big bore filters will not be comfortable for long sessions.

I let my son listen to The Menzingers new album and his comment was "really good Dad, you can hear the hi-hat sizzle after its been hit", I take it that this means that there is good separation and a lack of sibilance.

I don't listen without an amp, Violectric indoors and a Chord Hugo for portable duties, so I can't comment on how easy they are to drive.

......what if you unplugged your Hugo and went straight from your phone or DAP? Unless you've got everything tied together and whatnot in which case I can see why you'd wanna avoid the hassle.

That sounds unfortunate. Bob said that part of the reason they had to retune the PM4 into the Master was because people were reporting hot treble on the PM4 and the Master would have that fixed. Maybe not quite as tamed.....

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #13,645 of 24,683
How many of the new filters have the dampers? I never liked the damped filters on the PM4 because of the noticeable loss of detail. I know Bob said there's a new damping material so maybe that helps out. I would think that the filter system would be a big selling point in Trinity's lineup so it's weird to be in the dark as to what they actually do. 

On a side note, I removed the damper on the gunmetal for the PM4 and I'm a really big fan of the tonality. Dampers are applied with adhesive so if anyone wants to try it, it's kind of reversible if removed correctly.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #13,646 of 24,683
  How many of the new filters have the dampers? I never liked on of them on the PM4 because of the noticeable loss of detail. I know Bob said there's a new damping material so maybe that helps out. I would think that the filter system would be a big selling point in Trinity's lineup so it's weird to be in the dark as to what they actually do. 

On a side note, I removed the damper on the gunmetal for the PM4 and I'm a really big fan of the tonality. Dampers are applied with adhesive so if anyone wants to try it, it's kind of reversible if removed correctly.

Did you not get the undamped filters with your PM4? 

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #13,648 of 24,683
Play three doors down - kryptonite. You will know for sure.

Yeah, fortunately I have this song. I see what you mean, it sticks out quite a bit on the lyrics. It seems my PM4s have it as well but it's much much less, I'm preferring the sound signature of the PM4s a lot more than I ever thought I would've.

The reds and deep oranges (not the traditional orange/gold that the PM4 shipped with) seem to reduce sibilance for me, haven't tried the regular filters yet though.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #13,649 of 24,683
Yeah, fortunately I have this song. I see what you mean, it sticks out quite a bit on the lyrics. It seems my PM4s have it as well but it's much much less, I'm preferring the sound signature of the PM4s a lot more than I ever thought I would've.

The reds and deep oranges (not the traditional orange/gold that the PM4 shipped with) seem to reduce sibilance for me, haven't tried the regular filters yet though.

Sigh. Waited so long for a new pair of iems. Especially, without sibilance. Time to look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back