TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Mar 21, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #12,166 of 24,683
The fabric braided is my favorite cable. Friend hated it and gave me an extra. Love it. It probably tangles a little more, but worth it for comfort. Especially when worn over ear. I put a micro O ring on ear piece end as a quick second slider to keep them together during storage. Since there are 2 3.5mm connectots for Pono balanced, I also added a micro O ring there. Cable doesn't tangle too bad when each end is held together.

I agree the fabric cable is fantastic. Light comfortable sounds great

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #12,167 of 24,683
Mar 21, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #12,168 of 24,683
  Yes that was my experience with them too. The highs were harsh and those strange resonances... almost felt like ringing in my ears. As if it was like distortion guitars in rock music, in a live concert where the volume is turned up too high and it starts to completely dominate everything you hear. None of the filters could tame it.

Not even counting the quality issues (I had to get a replacement ear piece due to some filters not threading on at all) they just fell flat for me on sound. Which is a shame because there were definitely hints of some great things there. The bass especially stood out to me as quite nice. It was clean and fast and had good impact. Which I am sure was due to the push pull dynamics. It just felt like the BA portion of the IEM just didnt work well.

Even with all the QC issues, the resonance in the highs are what had (and still have) me most concerned about the currently shipping models.  These are likely caused by phasing issues due to not using crossovers, or at least that's what it sounds like based on the measurements and the description.  Yet Bob either didn't hear them, or felt they weren't bothersome enough to justify adding crossovers.  When he addressed the question about why they don't use crossovers in the Q&A video he would only say "we don't need them" and it is easier to tune without them.  There was no valid technical reason given that satisfied me, and then he ignored me when I pushed for further clarification. I really question how much technical knowledge he actually has at this point.  Is he really trying to tune a TOTL worthy iem without measurements?  Does he even know the impedance of these models or any of the technical specifications? The only reason at this point I still have Hunter on order is because I don't want to pay the cancellation fee.  

And I'm not trying to bash or troll here, just expressing my regret for tying my money up in these.  If I didn't have so much doubt I'd be much more patient waiting for impressions, but to add to my already mounting concerns there seems to be some dishonesty or at the very least negligence going on with the shipping... 

And I really hope I'm wrong.  The Hunters may turn out great.  He may be taking measurements and have very good reasons for what he does, but is just bad at communicating those things.

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #12,169 of 24,683
For those that don't get even bass on pm4 pro tip
I noticed when I screwed filter tighter I got more bass. The filter thread plane isn't even with filter especially at one end where it slips away which prevents making a seal when screwing in filter. I took a filing tool for small metal tools and grinded away some of metal to make straight slant to filter now equal bass. I grinded right iem and bass was slanted and figured to do same on other and it's epic equal bass. Those shells kinda not exactly even which all of iems are. And for pins I bent with small pliers now no disconnection. Hihi

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #12,170 of 24,683
dam last  year  we should have had a competition  when  the  iems we ordered will  arrive  , I said  April and reckon ill be right ,  i  learnt previously,  just add 4 months onto  the expected original shipping date with Trinity products 

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #12,171 of 24,683
I ordered a hunter on June 24th, I bring that up because I doubt I'm more than a few dozen from the front of the line.
I'm in the states (only 4 hrs drive from Alabama, Trinity's US hub). I will update you guys within 30 minutes of receiving it - guaranteed.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #12,172 of 24,683
It would have been nice to see a second part to the Q&A and also that video mentioned of heat-treating the Ti Hunter shells. It has been a month since they were mentioned but maybe we'll see both them when all the shipping is done

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #12,173 of 24,683
Patience is a virtue, let bob sort things out

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #12,174 of 24,683
  Even with all the QC issues, the resonance in the highs are what had (and still have) me most concerned about the currently shipping models.  These are likely caused by phasing issues due to not using crossovers, or at least that's what it sounds like based on the measurements and the description.  Yet Bob either didn't hear them, or felt they weren't bothersome enough to justify adding crossovers.  When he addressed the question about why they don't use crossovers in the Q&A video he would only say "we don't need them" and it is easier to tune without them.  There was no valid technical reason given that satisfied me, and then he ignored me when I pushed for further clarification. I really question how much technical knowledge he actually has at this point.  Is he really trying to tune a TOTL worthy iem without measurements?  Does he even know the impedance of these models or any of the technical specifications? The only reason at this point I still have Hunter on order is because I don't want to pay the cancellation fee.  

Yup that is exactly what I heard. Some kind of distortion that makes the upper frequencies sound super harsh, and... just too in my face for lack of a better word. My guess would be similar to yours in that the ba drivers here are interfering too much with each other in a certain frequency range.

But... I am certainly no expert on this, so that might not be it at all. And as for whether or not crossovers are needed. It is my understanding that they are not always needed as there are other ways to tune them, and driver selection can make a big impact on that. And I have to defer to those who obviously know a lot more than I do, so who knows. Lots of people seem to really like the PM4, so I dont know what that means.

And the newer iems all use totally different drivers, so hopefully none of those sound issues will be there, and I really do hope the QC issues are solved. Worst case scenario, I already own a CA vega which I love, and I also have a noble x on order that at this point will probably arrive first. And if the PM6 or master arent to my preferences, I am sure someone will be happy to get them at a discount who will enjoy them more than me, just as there are plenty of people who enjoy the PM4... maybe time to sell that one on.

Anyways, back to waiting patiently.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #12,175 of 24,683
  Yup that is exactly what I heard. Some kind of distortion that makes the upper frequencies sound super harsh, and... just too in my face for lack of a better word. My guess would be similar to yours in that the ba drivers here are interfering too much with each other in a certain frequency range.

But... I am certainly no expert on this, so that might not be it at all. And as for whether or not crossovers are needed. It is my understanding that they are not always needed as there are other ways to tune them, and driver selection can make a big impact on that. And I have to defer to those who obviously know a lot more than I do, so who knows. Lots of people seem to really like the PM4, so I dont know what that means.

And the newer iems all use totally different drivers, so hopefully none of those sound issues will be there, and I really do hope the QC issues are solved. Worst case scenario, I already own a CA vega which I love, and I also have a noble x on order that at this point will probably arrive first. And if the PM6 or master arent to my preferences, I am sure someone will be happy to get them at a discount who will enjoy them more than me, just as there are plenty of people who enjoy the PM4... maybe time to sell that one on.

Anyways, back to waiting patiently.

You've got the Vega if this doesn't work out? Lucky you
biggrin.gif
. At least I've also got the Noble X on order though so we're sitting in the same boat there. I think I'll be able to find a tuning I like with the Hunter. Plus, maybe that heat-treated look will just be too cool to sell
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #12,176 of 24,683

I don't know for sure either, it could be resonance in the shells or something causing it too.  Or it could be a QC related issue and not present in all of them.  But after asking about it 3-4 times and getting no response I am left to making my own assumptions.  Didn't Bob say he would be posting some graphs of the new models a while back or was that my imagination?  All it would take to ease my mind is a waterfall plot and some THD measurements.  

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #12,177 of 24,683
  You've got the Vega if this doesn't work out? Lucky you
biggrin.gif
. At least I've also got the Noble X on order though so we're sitting in the same boat there. I think I'll be able to find a tuning I like with the Hunter. Plus, maybe that heat-treated look will just be too cool to sell
tongue.gif

Hah, yea, while I was waiting for the noble x and pm6 I got tired of trying to make the it03 I own fit better (I am apparently one of the unlucky few where it really does not fit well), and figured I would see if I there was a better option. I got the LZ A4, which everyone was raving about, but honestly wasn't super thrilled with it. And at that point I think I realized I might have been chasing something that didn't exist. A mid-fi iem that fit great and had a really nice fun sound that just didn't leave me wanting more. I am just not sure that exists in that price bracket. I happen to be in a good place financially so I said screw it and decided that I could justify one super expensive totl pair, and the vegas ticked off my boxes, single dd to keep them small, and a sound signature that seemed pretty unique from what I understand. Had them a month or so now, and I love them.

Without derailing the thread too much, I am still excited about my PM6. As much as I love the vegas, I want a nice middle of the line pair too that I can essentially count as a beater, or maybe a travel pair if I am not comfortable taking around such super expensive IEMs with me. And having spent as much as I have now, part of me does wish I had sprung for the hunters, especially because the heat treated titanium should be really cool and I would like to hear the absolute best trinity can put out. But... at the time, I considered them way out of my price range. Hah.

I don't know for sure either, it could be resonance in the shells or something causing it too.  Or it could be a QC related issue and not present in all of them.  But after asking about it 3-4 times and getting no response I am left to making my own assumptions.  Didn't Bob say he would be posting some graphs of the new models a while back or was that my imagination?  All it would take to ease my mind is a waterfall plot and some THD measurements.  

He might have said that. It sounds familiar. But... at this point, I wouldn't expect it. The focus right now is clearly on getting everything out the door, and that needs to be the priority or else this thread will go even crazier than it already has been. So hopefully after all this settles down and people start receiving them, we will get more of that information, though at that point it wont matter as much since we will all already have them to listen to. And yes, I had to come to my own conclusions, and after hearing that they were modified hearing aid drivers, well... that certainly sounded like a somewhat plausible reason to me. Of course, I still dont know. I just know that the PM4 just do not do anything for me, and I just havent spent much time with them because of it.

Either way, my hope is just that the PM4 was a misstep, as much as im disappointed that I bought into it, hopefully the master rights that wrong, and the pm6 (and for you the hunter) go above and beyond. And if not... well, such is life, and they will influence any future purchasing decisions. But for the time being, I am still hopeful that what we are all hopefully very soon to receive what will be very nice products that sound great.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #12,178 of 24,683
Yep, I pretty much ended up with the Hunter for the same reasons you got the PM6.  I first went with the FLC8S which sounded great but didn't fit my ears, and instead of the Vega I went with the Hidition NT6 Pro for my TOTL during the wait.  I do love the Vega too, out of all the TOTL universals I've tried those were my favorite by a pretty big margin.  

I'm pretty much going between being really excited to get the Hunters, to trying to manage my expectations, and then becoming jaded and cynical over this whole buying experience, and back to excited when I realize even in a worst case scenario, if they suck I'll have some beefy new cables and some new drivers and shells to play around with modding.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #12,179 of 24,683
I couldn't figure out why since "It was sold like hot cake"; " A lot of people like it"! Why discontinue the pm4, since it's that good? And I can find at least half a dozen of resellers still selling it: Amazon, eBay, even Penon audio at AE is selling it!

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #12,180 of 24,683
I couldn't figure out why since "It was sold like hot cake"; " A lot of people like it"! Why discontinue the pm4, since it's that good? And I can find at least half a dozen of resellers still selling it: Amazon, eBay, even Penon audio at AE is selling it!

Not really discontinued, more like re-designed. The original one ran into some problems.  The new master is supposed to be more durable and built with more QC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back