TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Dec 8, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #9,556 of 24,683
Since the "Phantom" thread has diverged into two threads, I'm not certain where to post my brief listening impressions and thoughts of PM4.
However - this thread has "Phantom" in the title - so I'll post here.  As always, these are only my impressions/opinions and are likely to differ from yours (YMMV, etc.)
regular_smile .gif

These are very classy looking iems!
I was afraid that they may be uncomfortable (they look big in photos).  I have very small ears, and have had problems wearing several iems.  However the PM4s are very comfortable.

The PM4's sound seems to be very responsive to exact placement (deeper vs shallower fit) and I found Trinity's kombi tips to provide the nicest fit (in terms of sound isolation, depth of insertion and comfort) as well as sound (nicest level of bass).  However, the kombis are wickedly difficult to get on to the nozzles (requiring much patience and a tiny dab of water).

Also the PM4s sound much less grainy and smoother after they were "burnt in" for 20 h (please, no outrage to the concept of "burn-in" - these are my opinions, yours may differ).
Before burn-in the sound was much more ragged and less refined.

These iems scale up nicely with better sources/amps.  With my Sansa Clip they sounded fine, they sound really nice with the Pono, and they sound even better from my non-portable "serious" headphone listening set-up.
From my "serious" set-up the PM4s (with gold damped filter and kombi tips) remind me of the Sennheiser HD700 - very spacious, detailed, fast, accurate (certainly not boomy) bass, almost 3D.  Very impressive for an "affordable" iem (HD700s can sound very nice with a good source and amplification).  If I had to provide one minor con - just like the HD700 - female vocals can sound a mite reedy/thin and any sibilance in the recording is quite noticeable. [edit - now after another 10-15 hours playing they sound even smoother and female vocals are fuller-sounding, these iems are sounding even more impressive, still as spacious as the HD700's, but not as "reedy" as the sennheisers can sometimes sound.]
They sound great using a Pono (which tends to be a "warmer" source).  

Overall, the PM4s are very impressive for their price.  They need good quality recordings (I use WAV files for careful listening), and to my ears they synergize well with slightly "warmer" sources.  These are quite detailed and spacious sounding, so if you prefer more traditional tube-like, warm and honeyed sound, I would not recommend the PM4s.  However, I am very much enjoying them.

I haven't had the chance to try the PM4s balanced from my Pono (don't have the right cable), but I'm suspecting that they may be even more impressive balanced.
(Hopefully @Bobtrinity will be able to offer some pono balanced cables for the PM4s, since the Trinity mmcx ones are wonderful!).

Thanks Trinity for such a wonderful iem!

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #9,557 of 24,683
I didn't have any issues with the pm4 cables. Tried all 3 of them a couple of times without any problems.
The silver undampt filters however didn't fit. So i emailed jake asking for a new pair to be send together with the kombi tips i just ordered. I got a prompt reply and an hour later a shipment confirmation mail. So also i can report an excellent customer service.
I can recommend the pm4 to anyone!

No issues with the cables for me either. And I would like trinity to sell standard 2 pin, mmcx after market cables. So comfortable.

There are many positives with trinity products and accessories. And for some there has been some issues. Their excellent customer care is taking care of it promptly. I will never understand the whining over the past few days.

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #9,565 of 24,683
Sorry for my ignorance, but how can you have multi-driver iems without a crossover and without hearing issues such as the echoing and duplication? Specially when you mix different driver types. What about phase issues? For example, won't the highs coming from the dynamic driver mess with the highs from the BA and ruin detail? Thanks.
I've brought this up as well, though indirectly, but got no response. You can do it with wave guides like tubes and tuning with dampers etc, but the PM4 don't appear to use anything like that in the photos. Keep in mind it might and I just can't see in pics. But... I wonder if that could account for the "weirdness" in the midrange and/or at 3,500hz a few people have mentioned. I am hoping the "vectoring system" on the Hunter is sufficient to reduce or eliminate any comb filtering.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #9,566 of 24,683
  Finally gotten my PM4! Did anyone of you guy's PM4 came in the wrong colour? I ordered a gunmetal but it arrived in matt black. 
I couldn't resist not trying though.

Gunmetal had issues with the housing so maybe they substituted. My matt black is perfect though...

rolleyes.gif

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #9,567 of 24,683

Gunmetal had issues with the housing so maybe they substituted. My matt black is perfect though...

rolleyes.gif

That's the darkest black I've ever seen on an iem.

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #9,569 of 24,683
Well, my PM4 have finally made it to the farthest reaches of the globe, my colleague can attest to my excitement when reception emailed to say there was a parcel from the UK waiting for me.

Unboxed my pair (gunmetal, to go with my phone), took the Vyrus off my daily driver cable (the regular braided Trinity cable with no memory wire) and plugged the PM4 straight on with no fuss. The connection was not too tight or too loose. I then proceeded to drive them from my work phone (Galaxy S5) and my own phone (One M8) for the following two hours. Now typing this at home, listening on a MkIII iPad and typing up my initial impressions.

I've thrown a reasonable variety of music at them, from the bat**** crazy Electro-grind of Whourkr and the 100-foot and high wall of guitar that is Boris to the sublime harmonies of Shearwater, and Lilly & Madeline (listening to 'Hotel Pool' as I type this). I initially started on the foam tips and the silver damped filters to ease up on the hot upper-mids (couldn't hear it to start with, but the organ stabs in the Gaslamp Killer's 'Dead Vets' made it stick out like a nail, we'll see if it settles down). My impression of the soundstage with that setup was of a big panorama. I had some genuine "that can't be a sound in the mix, it's miles too far to the left/right" moments. The detail retrieval is amazing! I've been hearing things like breaths and hints-of-laughs at the start of songs like Mitski's 'Your Best American Girl' or the sounds of the players adjusting their seats before the start of Deadbeat's 'Ain't No More Flowers' and being able to discern textures of instruments in dense recordings like Death Grips' 'Hot Head' with an unprecedented and entertaining accuracy. The The BAs have that 'get out of their own way' quality that I liked so much about my House of Marley Legends, even though that pair have a much narrower FR, that push/pull dynamic setup adds the weight and authority I was always looking for in the HoM pair.

I've switched to a pair of Spinfits (my PM4 came with them, yay!) that fit my ears for now and that has only served to make the above paragraph even more true, but I may have to take them back off and put them on my Vyrus. We'll see.

I have had no issues with filter threads, nor have I had issues with the connectors on either earphone at this point. I'm planning to daily drive them for the rest of the year to see if any of the problems other users have experienced do come up, but my experience with the Vyrus has (as I have said before) has given me plenty of confidence in Trinity build quality.

One more thing I'd like to note at this stage, the remote on the mic/remote cable (currently on my Vyrus) fully supports both my Android phones. Volume and all. That's a big deal for me.

I'm hopeless at providing updates (something my colleague can attest to, again :p) so I won't promise to check back after the 'burn-in' period, but I'll certainly contribute if my contribution isn't just adding to the noise.

EDIT: Oh, Head-fi blocks swear words. Cool. Sorry about that, didn't realize I'd typed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back