TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Nov 16, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #7,772 of 24,683
Leamington Spa (in the Midlands part of the UK). No nice delivery man for me today bearing a set of PM4s . Oh well, fingers crossed for tomorrow! 

wink_face.gif

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #7,774 of 24,683
  Leamington Spa (in the Midlands part of the UK). No nice delivery man for me today bearing a set of PM4s . Oh well, fingers crossed for tomorrow! 

wink_face.gif

Midlands? Aren't you right next to Trinity's headquarters?
Just pop over and knock on Jake's door. He'll sort you out
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #7,775 of 24,683
In response to those looking for comparisons - I havent had enough time yet but the sound was exactly what I thought it would be.
When I briefly posted earlier that they sounded for me to be 'reference class' I mean that they have a high degree in accuracy in that they are tuned to faithfully reflect what is there -
I only use neutral filters as a rule because I like to hear what a headphone / Dap / whatever / is actually capable of producing without adding or taking anything away.

From memory there is very similar sound signature to what I heard at canjam  
There is a wonderful honesty about the sound

- With audio, there are so many tricks to make sound 'appear' to be better than it actually is! - [Look up VST Exciter] for example
What is great about Bob is that he has a no ******** approach to his headphones - he tunes to be as accurate as possible whilst still maintaining enough of a fun sound to enjoy. For example, I still use the original Delta iem for some critical pre-mastering work in the studio because they have that rare quality of revealing what is actually there in a way that is actually useful!

One thing I have found with Trinity is they offer a sound signature which is natural & real - The 1st time I put in the PM4's I just thought 'Yes!'
There is nothing flashy or ear grabbing there - I immediately thought of a C class Mercedes - There is something very classy about the sound - They don't need any in front exciting mids or huge bass or even sparkly treble because everything is just tuned so realistically well and close to actual 'life sound'
When I say nothing stands out - i mean that as a high compliment - They simply work very well..

This is just from one type of earbud, one type of cable and one type of filter so Im excited for the coming days :D

Anyway, I will be joining, what Im sure will be many, with the review crowd in a short while
Of course it's early days, but just imagine getting into a new Mercedes and I think you will get some idea of how they sound! 

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #7,777 of 24,683
Originally Posted by jon parker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...everything is just tuned so realistically well and close to actual 'life sound'
When I say nothing stands out - i mean that as a high compliment - They simply work very well..

This is just from one type of earbud, one type of cable and one type of filter so Im excited for the coming days :D

Interesting, because what you're describing is very similar to my (and a couple of other Head-Fier's) impressions of the Hunter when we heard them at CanJam!

I guess this is explainable by the fact that Bob said the PM4 was a 'nod to the PM6/Hunter sound signature'; I assume in terms of naturalness, detail and clarity etc.

So, especially if you're using the PM4's with the most neutral filter, this is going to emphasise the 'Hunter/PM6' characteristics of the PM4.  Using one of the filters that more significantly affects the sound signature is likely (I imagine) to deliver characteristics more reminiscent of the Delta V II (the PM4 was originally described as being like 'a Delta V II on steroids').

It's really the bridge between that classic house sound and the new, more reference type sound signature proposed in the PM6 and Hunter.  And you get to bias it in either direction with filters to suit your mood.
Happy days
beerchug.gif

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #7,778 of 24,683
"that classic house sound and the new, more reference type sound signature proposed in the PM6 and Hunter.  And you get to bias it in either direction with filters to suit your mood"

Very well said!

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #7,779 of 24,683
  "that classic house sound and the new, more reference type sound signature proposed in the PM6 and Hunter.  And you get to bias it in either direction with filters to suit your mood"

Very well said!

Definitely like what I've been reading today in this thread, lots of positive first impressions and descriptions about the PM4 and the direction the trinity house sound is heading!

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #7,780 of 24,683
People should be posting their reviews to share with everyone not just off this thread so others may share and learn about Trinity's products and be able to find a review quickly and easily rather than have to dig through pages of posts.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/trinity-audio-engineering-phantom-master-4

I'm not seeing any yet but hopefully soon. :D

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #7,781 of 24,683

Very well said!

Why thank you
biggrin.gif

I like your review very much too. Except that I don't have the PM4's delivered yet, so I can't empathise lol

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #7,782 of 24,683

:headphones::sunglasses:

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #7,783 of 24,683
Thanks for giving out some quick views on it. I own the vyrus and like them, but compared to my personal current top of the line, the Mee Pinnacle P1, the vyrus just seem to be lacking in clarity and detail. They are a great pair especially for the price, but the sound just doesn't quite keep up (nor was I expecting them to for the price). The PM4 on the other hand, my hope is that I will get back a lot of that clarity I miss from the P1's but with some added bass punch that I find lacking slightly on the P1's. Since they are in the same price bracket (even though with preorder and head fi discount, it was significantly less) I am expecting similar if not even better performance, and looking forward to having something similarly performing with tuning abilities. Does it sound like I am on the right track with my expectations? I know you have or at least use to have a P1 (and I used your review for purchasing decisions), so I am interested to hear your thoughts. Though hopefully I won't have to wait more than another day or two before I get mine in hand anyways and can hear for myself...

I don't think you will be disappointed with the capabilities of the PM4 - clarity and resolution are definitely in the same ballpark as the P1, and the bass filters give it a more booming low end if needed. In the middle of some extended listening to some Campfire Audio iems to try and write them up so struggling to "change gears" and really dive into the sound signatures at the moment, but I can't imagine you being disappointed in a few days time!

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #7,784 of 24,683
People should be posting their reviews to share with everyone not just off this thread so others may share and learn about Trinity's products and be able to find a review quickly and easily rather than have to dig through pages of posts.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/trinity-audio-engineering-phantom-master-4

I'm not seeing any yet but hopefully soon.
biggrin.gif

Saw that post :) - nicely done - It takes a while though to create a review of any note / value. Absolute minimum of a week.
After all, people's desicions on whether or not purchase it could be effected.
I think this site is probably the only pace on the web that has [for the most part] a selection of experienced non-biased views
An accurate review of the sound is so important as well to help others get a generic image of what a headphone offers.
I almost wrote an iem off a while back after trying 20 or so different tips and still it sounded not great. Last resort I tried comply and they now sound fabulous !! o_0
You have to be careful with reviews to get it right and not to miss anything !

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #7,785 of 24,683
im in dorset (uk) and got my PM4s today. Really likeing the gold filters right now.. Not sure if they are damped or not but christ on a bike bob.... How did you manage to make these sound so nice.

Listening to a bit of fleetwood mac, ub40 and paul simon and am very impressed. I would like a little more bass, but they sound fantastic.

I now have 'money for nothing' dire straights on and its very accurate and capable. The lows are very tight and punchy with enough meat that they dont get lost..

Only thing im now missing is some chest shaking bass from being at the gig!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back