TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Oct 7, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #6,616 of 24,683
Hi everyone

Sorry - I was meaning to post this a couple of day ago.  School holidays here in NZ and my wife and I took some time off to spend with the kids.  We went ice skating (Tania used to skate competitively - I am like a windmill on skates - I get by, but my balance isn't great
wink.gif
).  Long story short - I have to concentrate reasonably hard to keep balance (telling myself to glide, glide, glide). Tania came over about an hour in to see how I was doing, I lost my concentration, dug a skate tip in, did the whole "I'm a windmill" act with my arms - and fell - really hard.  Last couple of days have been pretty painful.  Bruised tail bone and badly sprained wrist (including "jogging" both elbow and shoulder).  Apparently I looked really funny as I fell though 
biggrin.gif

Anyway - typing was pretty much impossible yesterday - better today - so next post will have my impressions of new filter system for Hunter (and the basis for PM6)

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #6,617 of 24,683
Hi everyone

Sorry - I was meaning to post this a couple of day ago.  School holidays here in NZ and my wife and I took some time off to spend with the kids.  We went ice skating (Tania used to skate competitively - I am like a windmill on skates - I get by, but my balance isn't great :wink: ).  Long story short - I have to concentrate reasonably hard to keep balance (telling myself to glide, glide, glide). Tania came over about an hour in to see how I was doing, I lost my concentration, dug a skate tip in, did the whole "I'm a windmill" act with my arms - and fell - really hard.  Last couple of days have been pretty painful.  Bruised tail bone and badly sprained wrist (including "jogging" both elbow and shoulder).  Apparently I looked really funny as I fell though :D

Anyway - typing was pretty much impossible yesterday - better today - so next post will have my impressions of new filter system for Hunter (and the basis for PM6)

Thought it strange you had not posted. Get better soon fella, next time watch from the side lines :wink:

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #6,618 of 24,683
  Hi everyone

Sorry - I was meaning to post this a couple of day ago.  School holidays here in NZ and my wife and I took some time off to spend with the kids.  We went ice skating (Tania used to skate competitively - I am like a windmill on skates - I get by, but my balance isn't great
wink.gif
).  Long story short - I have to concentrate reasonably hard to keep balance (telling myself to glide, glide, glide). Tania came over about an hour in to see how I was doing, I lost my concentration, dug a skate tip in, did the whole "I'm a windmill" act with my arms - and fell - really hard.  Last couple of days have been pretty painful.  Bruised tail bone and badly sprained wrist (including "jogging" both elbow and shoulder).  Apparently I looked really funny as I fell though 
biggrin.gif

Feel better!  Make sure your nice and tender with that tailbone
smile.gif
.  That's a debilitating spot to bruise.
frown.gif

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #6,620 of 24,683
New Hunter filters

L3, Hunter and FiiO balanced cable (modified to fit)L3, Hunter and FiiO balanced cable (modified to fit)

I've done most of my testing this time with a FiiO cable - mainly because on this particular pair of prototypes, the left hand socket is just about knackered. It doesn't make any measurable difference to the sound, and I simply used an adaptor for single ended use.

The new filter line up looks like this:

Yep - triple bores, and if I'm not mistaken, each one of those is a damper (I'll leave Bob to comment)

Brown white and opaqueGreen, red (and brown)

How they look inside the HunterSlightly different angle

OK - that's great.  how do they sound / affect frequency?  Well you'll remember last time that I was a bit concerned about the upper mid-range on the original filters/driver tuning.  It was (to me anyway) overly vibrant, and actually took away from the lower mid-range.  It was good - just needed to be tweaked.

Hunter - all new filtersHunter old gold (damped and undamped) vs new red

The new filters aren't really that much different from the old ones - but the red filter significantly lowers the upper mid-range. It still retains the Trinity house sound, and that mainly centers around a vivid and clear mid-range, and punchy bass, but this tme the balance is a lot better.  I'd be willing to bet that most people are going to love the red filter.  In the graph on the right you can see the red vs the original gold damped and undamped.  The bass doesn't really change - but the mid-range does.

Now - to give you an idea of what you can expect.  Fidue released a TOTL IEM earlier this year - a 5 driver hybrid called the Sirius.  It doesn't have filters, but the bass port is internal, and depending on your anatomy, it can affect how the bass is delivered.  Totally unfettered, and the bass port delivers very linear bass - practically flat. Blocked and the bass humps (a lot).  The true signature will depend on your own anatomy, but I'd suggest for most of us, the Sirus would be somewhere between the two extremes.  Perhaps pretty close to where the Hunter sits in the graph below:

And you'll be able to see the similarities in the mid-range relative to bass and lower treble.

I'll get the new filters and Hunter prototype to Vince early next week - and he can give you a read on his thoughts as well.

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #6,621 of 24,683
  New Hunter filters

L3, Hunter and FiiO balanced cable (modified to fit)L3, Hunter and FiiO balanced cable (modified to fit)

I've done most of my testing this time with a FiiO cable - mainly because on this particular pair of prototypes, the left hand socket is just about knackered. It doesn't make any measurable difference to the sound, and I simply used an adaptor for single ended use.

Yep - triple bores, and if I'm not mistaken, each one of those is a damper (I'll leave Bob to comment)

OK - that's great.  how do they sound / affect frequency?  Well you'll remember last time that I was a bit concerned about the upper mid-range on the original filters/driver tuning.  It was (to me anyway) overly vibrant, and actually took away from the lower mid-range.  It was good - just needed to be tweaked.

The new filters aren't really that much different from the old ones - but the red filter significantly lowers the upper mid-range. It still retains the Trinity house sound, and that mainly centers around a vivid and clear mid-range, and punchy bass, but this tme the balance is a lot better.  I'd be willing to bet that most people are going to love the red filter.  In the graph on the right you can see the red vs the original gold damped and undamped.  The bass doesn't really change - but the mid-range does.

Now - to give you an idea of what you can expect.  Fidue released a TOTL IEM earlier this year - a 5 driver hybrid called the Sirius.  It doesn't have filters, but the bass port is internal, and depending on your anatomy, it can affect how the bass is delivered.  Totally unfettered, and the bass port delivers very linear bass - practically flat. Blocked and the bass humps (a lot).  The true signature will depend on your own anatomy, but I'd suggest for most of us, the Sirus would be somewhere between the two extremes.  Perhaps pretty close to where the Hunter sits in the graph below:

And you'll be able to see the similarities in the mid-range relative to bass and lower treble.

I'll get the new filters and Hunter prototype to Vince early next week - and he can give you a read on his thoughts as well.

Most important, I hope you and your family had a great time.  Family time is more important than IEMs. 
As the tailbone and wrist, I hope that heals fast without anything serious.

Do you feel the new filters correct the sound signature and provide the balance /clarity you you expect of the Hunter, a TOTL IEM? Hows the soundstage and spatial (3D) sense to the sound?  Does it feel like its all around at least as best a IEM could provide? 

Thx

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #6,624 of 24,683
New Hunter filters

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

When you are feeling a little less bruised and battered would you mind describing the sound a little further with the new filter system? No rush, it's the weekend and you definitely need a break!

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #6,625 of 24,683
Hi everyone

Sorry - I was meaning to post this a couple of day ago.  School holidays here in NZ and my wife and I took some time off to spend with the kids.  We went ice skating (Tania used to skate competitively - I am like a windmill on skates - I get by, but my balance isn't great :wink: ).  Long story short - I have to concentrate reasonably hard to keep balance (telling myself to glide, glide, glide). Tania came over about an hour in to see how I was doing, I lost my concentration, dug a skate tip in, did the whole "I'm a windmill" act with my arms - and fell - really hard.  Last couple of days have been pretty painful.  Bruised tail bone and badly sprained wrist (including "jogging" both elbow and shoulder).  Apparently I looked really funny as I fell though :D

Damn, hope you recover quickly and feel better soon :frowning2:

Bruising your tailbone is such an unexpectedly painful experience... same with the wrist!

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #6,626 of 24,683
It definitely looks better than before, but would still love to see a flatter curve at 1Khz downwards, and especially more low frequency extension below ~65Hz.

While it's probably final at this point, I certainly wouldn't mind waiting longer for a flatter tuning with better extension. 

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #6,627 of 24,683
That red filter looks like something special.
biggrin.gif

Really nice to hear that it is more balanced.

Even the filters look perfected.

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #6,628 of 24,683
When you are feeling a little less bruised and battered would you mind describing the sound a little further with the new filter system? No rush, it's the weekend and you definitely need a break!

OK - very subjective:

Red filter because it is absolutely my favourite. While its not the most spacious I've heard, there is a sense of slight distance there with most tracks - which I personally find a good thing - one of my personal pet hates are where some IEM makers bump the lower mids, or drastically bump the upper mids - and just bring the vocals too close (ie Grado like). Bass is more balanced than truly thumping, but it is much better balanced with the rest of the frequency response, and because of this doesn't over-power.  In fact the mid-bass hump is pretty natural sounding - and also fairly clean.  One of the things I haven't liked in the past (particularly with silver filters in other series) is how the bass could dominate.  This just seems like a much more mature overall signature. Lower treble is there, present in sufficient amounts for detail, but stays smooth throughout.  There is good decay on cymbal hits - some may like a bit more energy - but I think it strikes a nice balance between smoothness and detail.

Female vocals are once again glorious - but sound a lot more natural than the previous tuning.  Is it slightly on the coloured side - yes.  But that is the Trinity signature => mild V or U shape, elevated upper mid-range compared to lower mid-range.  Good treble detail without being peaky.

I think I described it best when I said it sounded a lot like the Sirius (which is a fantastic IEM).  One of the differences is the Hunter is more comfortable (for me anyway), and is considerably cheaper.

Imaging is very good - really clear.

Would it be my personal end-game?  Not quite.  For me personally I still like a little flatter total frequency curve - but TBH it is pretty close to what I would consider to be end game, and for someone who really likes Trinity's house sound (and there are a lot of you out there - including me), I can see it becoming one of your favourites. For now - the U6 (and maybe U10) still have better overall separation - but they also have the much higher price tag too. If someone told me the Hunter was only IEM I couldhave for the rest of my life - I could definitely live with that. To me they are the best overall signature Bob has released yet.

It definitely looks better than before, but would still love to see a flatter curve at 1Khz downwards, and especially more low frequency extension below ~65Hz.

While it's probably final at this point, I certainly wouldn't mind waiting longer for a flatter tuning with better extension. 

Flatter curve from 1 kHz actually sounds a bit artificial to me.  Look at the headphones which are described as having natural tonality - in particular HD800S and HD600.  Both have a slight mid-bass hump.  I agree with the thought of having slightly more bass extension - but that would come at a cost somewhere else. I actually think this is a pretty good end result.

Do you feel the new filters correct the sound signature and provide the balance /clarity you you expect of the Hunter, a TOTL IEM? Hows the soundstage and spatial (3D) sense to the sound?  Does it feel like its all around at least as best a IEM could provide? 

Thx

Its not "the best" - but its as good at this price point as I've heard.  Soundstage is average to good for an IEM, and imaging is above average. I guess the U6 for me has a little more spatial imaging and instrument separation.  But the Hunter is really good.  I don't think buyers will be disappointed.

Oct 8, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #6,630 of 24,683
Sounds like he is keeping it as natural as possible while keeping as much of the sparkle as well...  That sounds just absolutely fantastic.  And the enthusiasm behind it sound reassuring.  SOOOOO  HAPPY the pm6 is following suit.
dt880smile.png

OOOH i bet it plays a synthesizer off the charts
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back