TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Apr 22, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #15,346 of 24,683
He is. Bob originally wanted the PM6 and Hunter to have the modular Y split cabling, but people on Kickstarter hated the idea, so he decided, that the PM6 and Hunters will be the last models released with the universal 2-pin connectors. This was in like November, way after those comments on FB.

No I don't think there was ever any intent on redesigning hunter and PM6 with y-split cable. That was only for new products being designed
As I recall, Hunter and Master 6 were finished and just awaiting production. The original expectations for delivery was late December /early January for the release of Master 6 and Hunter.

Y-split was decided at the end of November/beginning of December based upon updates and comments that Bob gave us as a result of issues with Master 4. You will have to go quite a ways back in the thread to see a lot of this information

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #15,347 of 24,683
No I don't think there was ever any intent on redesigning hunter and PM6 with y-split cable. That was only for new products being designed
As I recall, Hunter and Master 6 were finished and just awaiting production. The original expectations for delivery was late December /early January for the release of Master 6 and Hunter.

Y-split was decided at the end of November/beginning of December based upon updates and comments that Bob gave us as a result of issues with Master 4. You will have to go quite a ways back in the thread to see a lot of this information

Neal he's actually right then Bob changed his mind and went universal 2 pin.  Next year all trinity iem's will be the new modular system.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #15,348 of 24,683
Words cannot express how happy I am that the hunter doesn't have a Y split detacher cable. Actually they can. I would not have bought the hunter if it had a Y splitter cable.

I am joyed to hear that it has a universal cable.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #15,349 of 24,683
  Neal he's actually right then Bob changed his mind and went universal 2 pin.  Next year all trinity iem's will be the new modular system.

after seeing the quality of the master y split system, I almost think I would have preferred this for the PM6/Hunter too, but given the outcry at the time, I will take it with the 2 pin.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #15,350 of 24,683

Really
Because I was extremely disappointed when Bob wasn't going to go with the modular Y-split and Hunter. I thought I had asked him if there was ever any intent and he said no.
I saw the two-pin cable as an issue because of what I felt was a weak point on Master 4 with the cable design

I'm sorry obviously my recollection was wrong!!

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #15,351 of 24,683
Really
Because I was extremely disappointed when Bob wasn't going to go with the modular Y-split and Hunter. I thought I had asked him if there was ever any intent and he said no.
I saw the two-pin cable as an issue because of what I felt was a weak point on Master 4 with the cable design

I'm sorry obviously my recollection was wrong!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/796729/trinity-phantom-series-new-thread-worlds-first-push-pull-hybrid-iem/9270#post_13064118

The link is where he announced it.  It specifically stated the Hunter and PM6 would get the new modular cable system.  Then a bunch of people complained so he went with the universal 2 pin.  However, next year all trinity IEM's will have the new cable system.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #15,352 of 24,683
Yeah, come to think of it I'm not sure about how reliable connectors on IEMs are for their replaceable cables. I am relatively new to IEMs though. I used to just use portable headphones like the sennheiser momentum before I finally decided to spend a couple weeks rigorously researching IEMs for myself. So, given my short amount of time that I've had IEMs, I'm not familiar with common issues they may have in hardware. I can imagine that it could become a connection problem, if the connectors on the earphones becomes loose and intermittent from repeatedly attaching different cables in the connector. It does seem like it would be a liability, without having room for the larger, sturdier jacks you see in detachable headphone cables. So I'm not really crazy about the Y split design, because I don't like hard wired cables, but I am also skeptical about the integrity of detachable cables on earphones.

Not that this specifically is directed at trinity and their products, I'm just talking about IEMs in general, because I haven't had a whole lot of time to learn their ins and outs. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #15,353 of 24,683
  Yeah, come to think of it I'm not sure about how reliable connectors on IEMs are for their replaceable cables. I am relatively new to IEMs though. I used to just use portable headphones like the sennheiser momentum before I finally decided to spend a couple weeks rigorously researching IEMs for myself. So, given my short amount of time that I've had IEMs, I'm not familiar with common issues they may have in hardware. I can imagine that it could become a connection problem, if the connectors on the earphones becomes loose and intermittent from repeatedly attaching different cables in the connector. It does seem like it would be a liability, without having room for the larger, sturdier jacks you see in detachable headphone cables. So I'm not really crazy about the Y split design, because I don't like hard wired cables, but I am also skeptical about the integrity of detachable cables on earphones.

Not that this specifically is directed at trinity and their products, I'm just talking about IEMs in general, because I haven't had a whole lot of time to learn their ins and outs. 

In general, attempts by manufacturers to make robust cable connections at the IEM shell have typically caused some issues. Trinity's decision to split at the Y was IMHO the right decision, but others will differ. I would say that I expect the next batch of Hunters and PM6's to come with the Y spirit design. And this is a good thing.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #15,354 of 24,683
http://www.head-fi.org/t/796729/trinity-phantom-series-new-thread-worlds-first-push-pull-hybrid-iem/9270#post_13064118

The link is where he announced it.  It specifically stated the Hunter and PM6 would get the new modular cable system.  Then a bunch of people complained so he went with the universal 2 pin.  However, next year all trinity IEM's will have the new cable system.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/796729/trinity-phantom-series-new-thread-worlds-first-push-pull-hybrid-iem/9360#post_13065743

This is how I got confused. He stated in this post part of the large announcement that it was going to be to 2pin after all

That was the original point at which I wanted to cancel Hunter because I was not comfortable with their two pin detachable cable system and then the announcement came that they were imposing the 30% cancellation fee

I was wrong they clearly had considered switching to the modular Y-split cable system on Hunter and Master 6 !!!

Pete, thanks for correcting me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back