Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds
May 27, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #1,816 of 2,949
It seem to me that the questions about very high end audio seem to be very much about personal preferences.
So I would be little surprised if the creator of a very high end IEM would not feel that it could compete with the absolute best.
Also Brooko (who to me seem to be rather honest and competent) seemed to think that Hunter compete in same league as Sirius, which is 900$ IEM.
Jackpot77 (who to me again seem to rather level headed and competent) compared Hunter to an IEM also in 1000$ category. I don't think that either of them said that it beats or kills or is as good, but I think it sounded that Hunter could compete fairly with these very expensive IEM's. Of course I don't have Hunter or any 1000 dollar IEM so my opinion is probably not to be taken very seriously. On the other hand I'm not sure how many of the peoples who have strong opinions do have.

One comparison in this thread was to a 500$ dollar isine 20, which by the writer was favourable (with some random filters on Hunter and in SQ) for isine20. However, isine20 is not really an IEM, but a mix between open headphone and IEM and these products are not really for the same purpose. This is also the reason why I'm not going to buy Icarus 4 despite the very tempting price. I have enough IEM's and I'm not sure if I can find IEM's of the same SQ as say HE400i with any money. BTW I curse this damn head fi and Trinity as well..I had strict moral limitations on how much I can spend on stuff which is meant for my own pleasure (computers are for work and bikes are for travel so these does not count :wink:), now there is only little pieces left.
Brooko and Jackpot77 comments were back last summer with Prototypes Not the final version
In fact Brooko has not been back on this thread to comment in a very long time. I am pretty sure he did not hear a final version and don't forget he recommended a three bore filter system.
Jackpot 77 will give us a comparison in the next couple weeks and I value his opinion very much. He is an excellent reviewer and very honest

May 27, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #1,817 of 2,949
Brooko and Jackpot77 comments were back last summer with Prototypes Not the final version
In fact Brooko has not been back on this thread to comment in a very long time. I am pretty sure he did not hear a final version and don't forget he recommended a three bore filter system.
Jackpot 77 will give us a comparison in the next couple weeks and I value his opinion very much. He is an excellent reviewer and very honest

I checked quickly and at least on this thread (search: bore by Brooko) @Brooko did recommend just bigger filters not three bores.
In fact in this case I would think three bores would be snake oil solution. Brooko's comments were indeed on the prototype and after that I think Bob did change the dynamic drivers. Other changes I think were new filters for controlling the high frequencies ( I suppose there are the blue and green). As a wild guess I don't think Hunters did change worse during these changes.

The comments by @Jackpot77 were of his own Hunter.

In any case I'm commenting on this as to me the troubles with the delivery times seem to cause some unfair belittling of the actual products and their SQ. Some critical comments seem to be taken as honest ones and rest as comments by fanboys.
On the other hand (taking in the account all the unpleasant encounters with Trinity concerning delivery times) I would except that many of the reviews would be at least at first strongly biased against Trinity.

To continue the rant.. As what seem to happen for many popular products here. Trinity is now more mainstream product. It is not any more the secret gem of a small group of head-fi people. So I don't think there will be ever again similar unanimous(deserved or not) love for the products as in the beginning. The customer base is now wide and for most it is not any more "our thing", but just source of good products. Also for some it will now be "meh" or whatever, no matter the quality.

May 27, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #1,818 of 2,949
It seem to me that the questions about very high end audio seem to be very much about personal preferences.
So I would be little surprised if the creator of a very high end IEM would not feel that it could compete with the absolute best.
Also Brooko (who to me seem to be rather honest and competent) seemed to think that Hunter compete in same league as Sirius, which is 900$ IEM.
Jackpot77 (who to me again seem to rather level headed and competent) compared Hunter to an IEM also in 1000$ category. I don't think that either of them said that it beats or kills or is as good, but I think it sounded that Hunter could compete fairly with these very expensive IEM's. Of course I don't have Hunter or any 1000 dollar IEM so my opinion is probably not to be taken very seriously. On the other hand I'm not sure how many of the peoples who have strong opinions do have.

I checked quickly and at least on this thread (search: bore by Brooko) @Brooko did recommend just bigger filters not three bores.
In fact in this case I would think three bores would be snake oil solution. Brooko's comments were indeed on the prototype and after that I think Bob did change the dynamic drivers. Other changes I think were new filters for controlling the high frequencies ( I suppose there are the blue and green). As a wild guess I don't think Hunters did change worse during these changes.

[Quote/]To continue the rant.. As what seem to happen for many popular products here. Trinity is now more mainstream product. It is not any more the secret gem of a small group of head-fi people. So I don't think there will be ever again similar unanimous(deserved or not) love for the products as in the beginning. The customer base is now wide and for most it is not any more "our thing", but just source of good products. Also for some it will now be "meh" or whatever, no matter the quality.

I disagree. The hype that came around this company in the beginning was not a result of a small number of consumers, but because the products lived up to the hype, most particularly the Delta's (OG and vII).

The IEM's released since haven't been as good and well rounded TBH. The delta's could be enjoyed by basically anyone with any type of preferences to a level of musicality that even the Vyrus's can't touch, but the proceeding products, especially in the phantom lineup have had more exaggerated V-shaped signatures, more treble peaks, emphasized and often hot upper frequency delivery, and an overall less agreeable sound that spans a smaller portion of the general population of head-fi consumers.

I talked to brooko about the hunter and he said he wouldn't buy it himself. Many of the first impressions wished for the upper frequencies to be tamed more than they were.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #1,819 of 2,949
Brooko did suggest a 3 bore filter and initially this was to be the solution per Trinity for high frequency that was noted(that was 6mo ago or more can't recall). It was on the big Phantom thread. Then about 3-4 mo ago It was stated the 3 bore filter was dropped about the time we were told everything was getting ready to ship.

I think the end result was from a cost standpoint the 3 bore filter was not better enough??

Campfire audio uses a bore setup on the nozzles with their BA models, I guess it's for their chambering system. I have no idea how things are tuned but I'm not sure I would not say a bore filter is necessarily snake oil.

May 27, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #1,820 of 2,949
I cancelled my order of Hunter right after when Bob announced the changes in their production line and after that many times i feel that i had made a stupid decision and on one moment I was about to order it again but i stop myself and decide to wait some more time and see the impressions of owners when they receive their orders,
And now I am happy that I had made a right decision because as I read the impressions of Hunters owners ( in other thread) the upper frequencies are too bright/sharp and a EQ tweak is must for comfortable listing ( i really don't like EQing) and the vocals are thin rather than full-bodied/lush specially the female vocals are very thin and sharp ( i am a mid centric fan boy and vocals are my main preference) ,
So i think Hunters are not for everybody , , ,

May 27, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,821 of 2,949
I cancelled my order of Hunter right after when Bob announced the changes in their production line and after that many times i feel that i had made a stupid decision and on one moment I was about to order it again but i stop myself and decide to wait some more time and see the impressions of owners when they receive their orders,
And now I am happy that I had made a right decision because as I read the impressions of Hunters owners ( in other thread) the upper frequencies are too bright/sharp and a EQ tweak is must for comfortable listing ( i really don't like EQing) and the vocals are thin rather than full-bodied/lush specially the female vocals are very thin and sharp ( i am a mid centric fan boy and vocals are my main preference) ,
So i think Hunters are not for everybody , , ,

I went through the same worries after I cancelled mine, but I would have been very surprised to see a generally agreeable sound signature with the trend things have been going in.

After it was announced the 3 bore filters weren't being used, I had a fear of other "perfections" not being made and corners cut to meet the already stretched deadlines with so much else going on... I didn't feel confident that the product was actually their TOTL capability, but just a high end expensive model. I just didn't feel their ability to balance their IEM's sound signatures had been perfected and was the best of what they are capable of.

May 27, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #1,822 of 2,949
Brooko did suggest a 3 bore filter and initially this was to be the solution per Trinity for high frequency that was noted(that was 6mo ago or more can't recall). It was on the big Phantom thread. Then about 3-4 mo ago It was stated the 3 bore filter was dropped about the time we were told everything was getting ready to ship.

I think the end result was from a cost standpoint the 3 bore filter was not better enough??

Campfire audio uses a bore setup on the nozzles with their BA models, I guess it's for their chambering system. I have no idea how things are tuned but I'm not sure I would not say a bore filter is necessarily snake oil.

Sorry, I remembered that I was in the big thread (which suggests that I should stop writing). That was indeed the thread I searched for.. I could not find any mention of 3 bores by Brooko. He just hoped that Bob would use larger filters that would allow to tune the sound more.

As far as I understood the triple bore did no difference on sound. I can be wrong however.

I don't have energy or time to check the idea behind campfire.

May 27, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,823 of 2,949
I disagree. The hype that came around this company in the beginning was not a result of a small number of consumers, but because the products lived up to the hype, most particularly the Delta's (OG and vII).

The IEM's released since haven't been as good and well rounded TBH. The delta's could be enjoyed by basically anyone with any type of preferences to a level of musicality that even the Vyrus's can't touch, but the proceeding products, especially in the phantom lineup have had more exaggerated V-shaped signatures, more treble peaks, emphasized and often hot upper frequency delivery, and an overall less agreeable sound that spans a smaller portion of the general population of head-fi consumers.

I talked to brooko about the hunter and he said he wouldn't buy it himself. Many of the first impressions wished for the upper frequencies to be tamed more than they were.

I don't comment on hype on Delta. I just say that for large customer base it will be impossible that everyone is satisfied (in particular if you have made 50% them more or less angry). In fact even of seven delta reviewes there is one that gives 3 and half star with major complaints on sound.. So at least 1 of seven was unsatisfied on reviews. No multiply the customer base with 10 and you likely get big number of unsatisfied costumers. Then delay their products by half year and see what happens..

About Brooko.. He said in his comments that this is not his cup of tee. So I think he made it quite clear that he was not going to buy. I suppose he would not have bought Sirius either (even if it would have cost 500$) as this is not his preferred sound signature.. This does not change that I assume Sirius can be called TOTL. It might not be the top of your line, but it is still top.

In any case lot of strong opinions by people who don't own Hunter (me included)..

May 27, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #1,826 of 2,949
I don't comment on hype on Delta. I just say that for large customer base it will be impossible that everyone is satisfied (in particular if you have made 50% them more or less angry). In fact even of seven delta reviewes there is one that gives 3 and half star with major complaints on sound.. So at least 1 of seven was unsatisfied on reviews. No multiply the customer base with 10 and you likely get big number of unsatisfied costumers. Then delay their products by half year and see what happens..

About Brooko.. He said in his comments that this is not his cup of tee. So I think he made it quite clear that he was not going to buy. I suppose he would not have bought Sirius either (even if it would have cost 500$) as this is not his preferred sound signature.. This does not change that I assume Sirius can be called TOTL. It might not be the top of your line, but it is still top.

In any case lot of strong opinions by people who don't own Hunter (me included)..

Not the Delta vII I believe. That was the pride and joy especially with the Gold filters.

As I remember the idea of the 3 bores was discussed in the thread sometime but ii don't remember exactly he was the Brooko or somebody else .

Haven't heard those impressions that say this is worth something else. They've mostly been reserved and don't show signs of something remarkable or any articulated evidence of something TOTL. Just detail monsters.

May 27, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #1,827 of 2,949

But to be honest the fit was crap even of the delta vII... Heck, i returned mine within a week because of it... But with a remodeled fit with something more ergonomic and improve Dynamic drivers like what has been provided in the upgraded models, and you got something that has the best price/performance ratio in the company that could probably beats out the sabre and pm4 easily and probably the Master.

Heck if BOB revamped the Bass to balance it out better and kept the balance of the upper frequencies without spiking the crap out of it like he always does, then you got game changer.

But because of the more balanced upper frequencies of the delta vII, it definitely is more agreeable to a larger audience.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,828 of 2,949
Heck if BOB revamped the Bass to balance it out better and kept the balance of the upper frequencies without spiking the **** out of it like he always does, then you got game changer.

But because of the more balanced upper frequencies of the delta vII, it definitely is more agreeable to a larger audience.

I really hope that Icarus 3 will be as good as I have understood from short comments. It seem to improve exactly on weaker points of Master (which I do enjoy very much), but keeping the good ones..So maybe this will be the real successor of delta v2. At least I hope that you will find your improved delta v2 reincarnation finally.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #1,829 of 2,949
I really hope that Icarus 3 will be as good as I have understood from short comments. It seem to improve exactly on weaker points of Master (which I do enjoy very much), but keeping the good ones..So maybe this will be the real successor of delta v2. At least I hope that you will find your improved delta v2 reincarnation finally.

That would be lovely, but I am not going to gamble on it any more...

I can't even get the Atlas Delta when I order it lol.

May 27, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #1,830 of 2,949
I feel the need to say that the Hunter is a fantastic TOTL IEM. Once you get the right filter in it then is pure liquid smoke in your ears. Remember 1000 of these were sold and I am yet to hear anything but good comments. It is possible that a few people will not like them but you could say that about any IEM. I think most of the more critical comments have been in relation to their other products. Certainly the delivery situation has rubbed people up the wrong way to the extent that they don't want to like the product anymore. Not much can be done about that. Live and learn I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back