TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Feb 28, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #3,601 of 3,867
Feb 28, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #3,602 of 3,867
Mar 1, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #3,603 of 3,867
Am now tempted to get the Meteors. I have most of the Tri iems from Starlight to Starseas. I even love the I3 Pros. I had the Meteors in my cart for a bit but ultimately removed them as I got caught up by the wave of iem releases over the past year (and what a year it has been for iems).
I may yet get the Meteors, to complete my TRI set. I had the tour unit for a while but not enough time with them to get the sound I like. I found the bass a bit excessive for my liking. Ordinarily, I would try different tips sources etc. to get the sound with which I am happy, but the tour unit had to move on.

Maybe one day!

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #3,604 of 3,867
I may yet get the Meteors, to complete my TRI set. I had the tour unit for a while but not enough time with them to get the sound I like. I found the bass a bit excessive for my liking. Ordinarily, I would try different tips sources etc. to get the sound with which I am happy, but the tour unit had to move on.

Maybe one day!
Interesting. With the exception of the Starlight, i got my other Tri's on your recommendation and have not looked back!!!

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #3,606 of 3,867
It has been discussed quite a bit.
Cables definitely can sound different, the clear evidence of the difference is based on their resistance (and to me it also reveals the limitations of the source, I was really surprised that with the battery-poweed E1DA, using IEMatch did not make a noticeable difference, while with weaker sources - the difference is very noticeable).

Other than resistance, there is nothing else demonstrated, while there are now plenty good measurement rigs out there, and fine tip and modding differences get clearly documented.

The power of mind can also be strong, when I decided that blue cables should be the best (I really like blue colour), they indeed sounded best to me, still do.
Also the comfort of thicker soft cables that can be used without plastic ear guides really helps with my comfort and secure fit, so I got quite a few cables, and sometimes enjoy swapping them for aesthetics and fun :)

You need more than the resistance measurement.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...-topic/ee-ac-analysis/v/ee-ac-analysis-intro1

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...ac-analysis/v/ee-impedance-of-simple-networks

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...ic/ee-ac-analysis/v/ee-impedance-vs-frequency

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #3,607 of 3,867

If you can explicitly show how the capacitance and inductance affect the IEM cable properties to matter for IEMs n the audible range - that would be great.

Otherwise, even ardent cable proponents dropped these lines for the futility of the available evidence.

Mar 3, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #3,608 of 3,867
If you can explicitly show how the capacitance and inductance affect the IEM cable properties to matter for IEMs n the audible range - that would be great.

Otherwise, even ardent cable proponents dropped these lines for the futility of the available evidence.
Simple electrical circuits. A cable is an LRC circuit. It has resistance. It has capacitance. It has inductance. That circuit affects both the source and the output transducer. Music is not a simple sine wave at a constant volume/voltage, such as those measured for FR graphs. Music varies over frequencies. Impedance varies over frequency. Only measuring resistance means nothing. If that is not acceptable/enough for you, then carry on as I am out.

Mar 3, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #3,609 of 3,867
Simple electrical circuits. A cable is an LRC circuit. It has resistance. It has capacitance. It has inductance. That circuit affects both the source and the output transducer. Music is not a simple sine wave at a constant volume/voltage, such as those measured for FR graphs. Music varies over frequencies. Impedance varies over frequency. Only measuring resistance means nothing. If that is not acceptable/enough for you, then carry on as I am out.
I am aware of "LRC" circuits, as well as the simple fact that for IEM cables, L and C are not any significant to practically matter (e.g. compared to speaker cables).

Yet, what may, or perhaps should, be considered unacceptable is just the deluge of empty words without any factual evidence. Rigs are available, fine modding differences are documented nicely. Yet, no cable difference, beyond the resistance difference!
Just do it or find the credible data!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #3,611 of 3,867
1646903546997.png

Mar 10, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #3,614 of 3,867
What a pity the cable is no longer blue. But this beige one will match the shells better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back