TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Feb 19, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #3,586 of 3,867
Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #3,587 of 3,867
It has been discussed quite a bit.
Cables definitely can sound different, the clear evidence of the difference is based on their resistance (and to me it also reveals the limitations of the source, I was really surprised that with the battery-poweed E1DA, using IEMatch did not make a noticeable difference, while with weaker sources - the difference is very noticeable).

Other than resistance, there is nothing else demonstrated, while there are now plenty good measurement rigs out there, and fine tip and modding differences get clearly documented.

The power of mind can also be strong, when I decided that blue cables should be the best (I really like blue colour), they indeed sounded best to me, still do.
Also the comfort of thicker soft cables that can be used without plastic ear guides really helps with my comfort and secure fit, so I got quite a few cables, and sometimes enjoy swapping them for aesthetics and fun :)
Interesting, so basically you are saying that running on a mains powered desktop headamp the difference between the stock i3 pro cable and the kbear limpid pro should be non existant? Seems legit

Feb 19, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #3,588 of 3,867
It has been discussed quite a bit.
Cables definitely can sound different, the clear evidence of the difference is based on their resistance (and to me it also reveals the limitations of the source, I was really surprised that with the battery-poweed E1DA, using IEMatch did not make a noticeable difference, while with weaker sources - the difference is very noticeable).

Other than resistance, there is nothing else demonstrated, while there are now plenty good measurement rigs out there, and fine tip and modding differences get clearly documented.

The power of mind can also be strong, when I decided that blue cables should be the best (I really like blue colour), they indeed sounded best to me, still do.
Also the comfort of thicker soft cables that can be used without plastic ear guides really helps with my comfort and secure fit, so I got quite a few cables, and sometimes enjoy swapping them for aesthetics and fun :)
Trouble is Phi we just don't know the real basis of all things. Plus we don't look at our coloured cables as we listen. Maybe if we have bacon smelling cables they would sound better, smells percolate more. I have no idea of reality except quantum complexity makes more sense to me at the moment, but I know nothing...really. I like music and I like listening.

Feb 19, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #3,589 of 3,867
Trouble is Phi we just don't know the real basis of all things. Plus we don't look at our coloured cables as we listen. Maybe if we have bacon smelling cables they would sound better, smells percolate more. I have no idea of reality except quantum complexity makes more sense to me at the moment, but I know nothing...really. I like music and I like listening.

The trouble may be only in some minds.
We know many things well, e.g. is that the Earth is not flat.
Your music enjoyment is based on multiple technologies that work well and are well understood (where quantum works is also well understood, so "quantum" is a just an empty word in this context, unless again you have some clear evidence), so there is a clear need for the prove that "unknowns" do exist - as simple as Okamm's razor principle!

Feb 19, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #3,590 of 3,867
Feb 19, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #3,591 of 3,867
Your music enjoyment is based on multiple technologies that work well and are well understood (where quantum works is also well understood, so "quantum" is a just an empty word in this context, unless again you have some clear evidence), so there is a clear need for the prove that "unknowns" do exist - as simple as Okamm's razor principle!
You yourself believe resistance can effect sound perception. I agree. But there may be many other things too. Yes the earth is not flat as we know, but we know less about all the energies and forces all around us. We can go on and on but it will get very boring.

Feb 19, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #3,592 of 3,867
You yourself believe resistance can effect sound perception. I agree. But there may be many other things too. Yes the earth is not flat as we know, but we know less about all the energies and forces all around us. We can go on and on but it will get very boring.

No "beliefs" of mine for the cable resistance - clearly documented evidence exists
Definitely, there is some knowledge arguably missing, like in the theory of unifying forces.

Yer, there is no any evidence that something is missing in our knowledge of the cables, so it is absoutely counderproductive and futile to assume/imagine anything there, unless there is evidence otherwise. It is someting like to expect your tea turning it to coffee in an instant because possibly something may be not known in the Universe :)

Feb 19, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #3,593 of 3,867
No "beliefs" of mine for the cable resistance - clearly documented evidence exists
Definitely, there is some knowledge arguably missing, like in the theory of unifying forces.

Yer, there is no any evidence that something is missing in our knowledge of the cables, so it is absoutely counderproductive and futile to assume/imagine anything there, unless there is evidence otherwise. It is someting like to expect your tea turning it to coffee in an instant because possibly something may be not known in the Universe :)

Phi....shut up. You are ranting now. Stop being cantankerous. Leave it.... it's monotonous now. You are the one with resistance....1000 ohms.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #3,594 of 3,867
Phi....shut up. You are ranting now. Stop being cantankerous. Leave.... it's monotonous now. You are the one with resistance....1000 ohms.
Thank you for the clear evidence, Sir!
The case is closed. :)

Feb 19, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #3,595 of 3,867
As @Slater said to me, "if you hear the difference that is good, I do not hear the difference".

I take the view that, quite apart from the psychosomatic effect, we hear things differently, even if only slightly. I cannot hear a difference in cables but I cannot tell what someone else hears, so each to his own.

Peace my brothers [Edit: and sisters] lets enjoy our hobby!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #3,596 of 3,867
It is also worth noting that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #3,597 of 3,867
PhonoPhi said:
Yer, there is no any evidence that something is missing in our knowledge of the cables, so it is absolutely counterproductive and futile to assume/imagine anything there, unless there is evidence otherwise.

This.

But I guess "gut feeling" pushes more pricey cable sales than (boooring) scientific evidence.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #3,599 of 3,867
Wooden Customized TRI Starlight, there are 6 colors in here, will you pick one of them?
🤪
👐

1645787711959.png

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #3,600 of 3,867

Users who are viewing this thread

Back