TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Dec 3, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,486 of 3,867
My Starlights are here, in my ears as I type and have been for the past couple of hours. When I first tried them on I sighed in relief as it was immediately obvious that these won't require a lot 'work' to get to sound good - they do straight out of the box.

First impressions: good technical chops, particularly with outstanding treble, which really comes into its own on busier tracks (anything involving an orchestra is a joy). Not had goosebumps in a while listening to some of my favourite tracks but here I am.

Mids are quite forward, which I like (particularly female vocals), however I did encounter a touch of sibilance on two tracks. Not winced but it was noticeable.

Bass is conservative overall and sub-bass focussed. Kinda reminded of me of what Mangird Teas do. No sign of bleed into mids, hits hard but only when called upon. Loreen's first album sounds phenomenal - her tracks have that sub-bass and a great ambience, both rendered perfectly on Starlights. Stage is respectable.

Overall, they will quickly become my favourite. I can see where the money's gone.

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #1,487 of 3,867
Any 3rd party FR for Believe?
Here you go:
Believe.jpg

Attachments

• Believe.jpg
    Believe.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 0
Dec 3, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #1,488 of 3,867
Earlier this morning received the TRi i4. As per usual the stock cable was nothing. Tried a NiceHCK silver litz, but it sounded thin in the highs. Changed to a NiceHCK 4.4mm balanced, pure copper 4 core and a Sennheiser style tip. Very good. I am a sucker for TRi. I have the i4, the i3, the Starsea and I had the Starlight for a week. I think the i4 is a bio-driver and a Knowles. I got them really cheaply in the 11/11. They have got a lot of fans and I think I am going to be another. A great brand, great IEMs.

I also like them. I agree, the stock cable is just ok. I have a KBEAR soft 8 core cable on them. To my ears they sound very much like the little brother of the I3.

There is something fizzy in their presentation, it is not like a sparkle in the top end or anything to do with a particular frequency. It seems to have been tuned to be a bit "spritely", a little "zing" a sparkle which I cannot explain but it sounds good and certainly has its own sound signature...."spritely", is how see it.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #1,489 of 3,867
My Starlights are here, in my ears as I type and have been for the past couple of hours. When I first tried them on I sighed in relief as it was immediately obvious that these won't require a lot 'work' to get to sound good - they do straight out of the box.

First impressions: good technical chops, particularly with outstanding treble, which really comes into its own on busier tracks (anything involving an orchestra is a joy). Not had goosebumps in a while listening to some of my favourite tracks but here I am.

Mids are quite forward, which I like (particularly female vocals), however I did encounter a touch of sibilance on two tracks. Not winced but it was noticeable.

Bass is conservative overall and sub-bass focussed. Kinda reminded of me of what Mangird Teas do. No sign of bleed into mids, hits hard but only when called upon. Loreen's first album sounds phenomenal - her tracks have that sub-bass and a great ambience, both rendered perfectly on Starlights. Stage is respectable.

Overall, they will quickly become my favourite. I can see where the money's gone.

Good to hear your thoughts on the Starlights.

I have to say, the only time I heard sibilance on the Starlights was on a track which is sibilant regardless of which headphones or earphones I play that track on, which may be down to the recording.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #1,490 of 3,867
I also like them. I agree, the stock cable is just ok. I have a KBEAR soft 8 core cable on them. To my ears they sound very much like the little brother of the I3.

There is something fizzy in their presentation, it is not like a sparkle in the top end or anything to do with a particular frequency. It seems to have been tuned to be a bit "spritely", a little "zing" a sparkle which I cannot explain but it sounds good and certainly has its own sound signature...."spritely", is how see it.

It's interesting but there are two very general types of those who are on these threads about IEM's...IMHO. Those that review are bound up to have to use use stock cables and tips for their reviews, as supplied in the package. There is another group that want to get the best from their IEMs and cable roll, tip roll to get the most out of the IEM but can't review because they have changed the retail package. Of course the two groups overlap, it is not either or. But there are problems for the reviewer group. I do feel for reviewers because often they miss the real possibilities of many IEMs because the supplied tips and cables are tat, and they are empirically committed to review on the basis of the package people will buy. So if manufacturers give poor cables and tips, which they do....they will often not get the review that the product is capable of. It's a trade off. I think the Blon 03 was one of those cases....it's accessories are poor, but it could be upgraded from stock to something special. Edit: With the right tips and cable the KBear Lark improves dramatically.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #1,491 of 3,867
It's interesting but there are two very general types of those who are on these threads about IEM's...IMHO. Those that review are bound up to have to use use stock cables and tips for their reviews, as supplied in the package. There is another group that want to get the best from their IEMs and cable roll, tip roll to get the most out of the IEM but can't review because they have changed the retail package. Of course the two groups overlap, it is not either or. But there are problems for the reviewer group. I do feel for reviewers because often they miss the real possibilities of many IEMs because the supplied tips and cables are tat, and they are empirically committed to review on the basis of the package people will buy. So if manufacturers give poor cables and tips, which they do....they will often not get the review that the product is capable of. It's a trade off. I think the Blon 03 was one of those cases....it's accessories are poor, but it could be upgraded from stock to something special. This TRi i4 is another case in point. With the right tips and cable they are something special.
I think that when you review something you should tip roll, especially if the stock ones wont give you a good seal, because no-seal = bad-sound.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #1,492 of 3,867
I think that when you review something you should tip roll, especially if the stock ones wont give you a good seal, because no-seal = bad-sound.

Agreed, but problem is a lot of lay consumers and newbies won't know about changing tips and accessories, they'll just use whatever is OOTB. I read an internet article a few months back that 80 - 90% of folks use only a smartphone (not the LG types) with their music. Us folks that use DAC/Amps and do tiprolling and cable rolling here are really the hardcore minority in this hobby TBH.

Anyway ear anatomy is very individual, even if your review writes that u get a great seal and sound with a particular aftermarket eartip, it may not apply to others cause their ear anatomy or even hearing health is different. Aftermarket eartips as we can agree on, change the sound signature and isolation and comfort, so using aftermarket eartips that a lay consumer will not have access too is also doing a disservice in a way, as the sound may be rather different from what was written.

This can be argued both ways, there's pros and cons, but for myself at least, I try to put impressions/reviews of an IEM with only stock accessories (no eartips/cable swaps) and using neutral sources (so as not to colour the music), no EQ or mods too. I know this limits the potential of the IEM, but at least it is a common ground everyone can use, no apples to oranges comparisons.

But yeah for some outlier IEMs with really crap stock fit eg BLON BL-03, I had to change my policy and use aftermarket tips to get a good seal as the bass was missing with a poor fit. And once impressions/reviews are done, yeah I gladly switch to aftermarket tips and stuff to finetune the IEM to my preferences.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #1,493 of 3,867
Good to hear your thoughts on the Starlights.

I have to say, the only time I heard sibilance on the Starlights was on a track which is sibilant regardless of which headphones or earphones I play that track on, which may be down to the recording.

Keep us posted.

You have a point, it's not the first time these particular tracks sounded sibilant.

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #1,494 of 3,867
Having listened to all the TRI earphones, I have to say @finalstan you got it spot on in a previous post (not sure of the exact words) when you said TRI gets it right and there are no complaints. At the prices, all the TRIs are very good. There was one complaint which I remember (although there may be others) which said the bass on the I3s was too much, "you can have too much of a good thing".

That statement can be debated endlessly from different perspectives but on this subject, TRI and value for money, I am sold on their products. I can see other brands selling each of their products, I4, I3, Starlight and Starsea for much more money.

Good combination of drivers and great tuning! I have yet to hear them but a good example is what has been said about the BElieve (sister brand I know) same ethos, good value for money!

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #1,495 of 3,867

Yes, I get your adjectives, 'fizzy', 'spritely' and 'zing'. It's quite bright. I think it would be hard, say, to have a long, extended listening session with the i4 as they are at the moment. They do have clarity and work well with slower vocals and folk music. Leontyne Price 'Summertime' sounds reasonably good with these.....but change to the KBear Believe and her voice becomes very special. I've been listening to the KBear Believe which are so far ahead of the TRi i4's in every respect that I'm a little 'bewitched' by the 'Believe'.

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #1,496 of 3,867
Yes, I get your adjectives, 'fizzy', 'spritely' and 'zing'. It's quite bright. I think it would be hard, say, to have a long, extended listening session with the i4 as they are at the moment. They do have clarity and work well with slower vocals and folk music. Leontyne Price 'Summertime' sounds reasonably good with these.....but change to the KBear Believe and her voice becomes very special. I've been listening to the KBear Believe which are so far ahead of the TRi i4's in every respect that I'm a little 'bewitched' by the 'Believe'.

I am looking forward to the BElieve, to hear the wonderful tones you are listening to.

On the subject of the I4, the "brightness" is not what I was referring to. I do not think they are very bright, the balance is good, IMHO.

The spritely tone is laced across the frequencies, so not limited to highs. In fact, I think the bass has got nice weight to it, just as I like it. In my view, the tuning balance between sub-bass and mid-bass was inherited by the I3, that is what the bass tuning reminds me of.

I think I have sussed it out. I think the I4 sounds like a tube amp, analogue....that is it!

Enjoy the BElieve, Steve, I don't want to prise you away from them.

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #1,497 of 3,867
I am looking forward to the BElieve, to hear the wonderful tones you are listening to.

On the subject of the I4, the "brightness" is not what I was referring to. I do not think they are very bright, the balance is good, IMHO.

The spritely tone is laced across the frequencies, so not limited to highs. In fact, I think the bass has got nice weight to it, just as I like it. In my view, the tuning balance between sub-bass and mid-bass was inherited by the I3, that is what the bass tuning reminds me of.

I think I have sussed it out. I think the I4 sounds like a tube amp, analogue....that is it!

Enjoy the BElieve, Steve, I don't want to prise you away from them.
It's difficult going to the i4 from a set like the 'Believe'. Not always good to A/B sets that are very far apart in quality. I'm chopping and changing......now listening to the Dunu DM-380 with it's triple titanium coated micro dynamic drivers.....they are good. My pretty useless football team are on TV soon so on the sofa, feet up, a glass of wine and relax. :soccer::soccer::soccer::soccer::sleeping:

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #1,498 of 3,867
But there are problems for the reviewer group. I do feel for reviewers because often they miss the real possibilities of many IEMs because the supplied tips and cables are tat, and they are empirically committed to review on the basis of the package people will buy.

I would never want to be a reviewer per se, at least not for the kind of site that rates everything 4.5/5 stars. Imagine being unable to tell it as it is because it may affect your relations with the companies going forward and they won't give you samples and gear anymore :wink:

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #1,500 of 3,867
Does anyone know where I can find the exact measurements of the TRI I3 stock tips?

Or if it is possible to buy them separately somewhere?

The gray and red size L is really perfect for my ears and is also the best match I've ever tried on the Blon BL-03.

Friend, so sorry, we do not sell the I3 stock eartips separatly!:joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back