TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Dec 5, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #1,518 of 3,867
Thanks. I discovered this artist some time ago. Corciolli is a Brazilian musician and composer who has recorded with artists ranging from Tibetan Monks to composers like Hans Zimmer, Vangelis and popular-classical types like Placido Domingo. His album Nosso Lar ("The Astral City") is based on the book of the same name by Francisco Cândido Xavier, which describes souls and their journey to the afterlife. Definitely worth checking out!

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #1,520 of 3,867
I've been listening to TRI I3 on the unbalanced output of the FiiO BTR5 ever since I got it.

I hope that with the balanced copper and silver cable that I am waiting for and a lot more power it will open and improve, because for now it has not convinced me.

It sounds a little too dull, lifeless and without treble.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #1,521 of 3,867
I've been listening to TRI I3 on the unbalanced output of the FiiO BTR5 ever since I got it.

I hope that with the balanced copper and silver cable that I am waiting for and a lot more power it will open and improve, because for now it has not convinced me.

It sounds a little too dull, lifeless and without treble.

I did not think much of the I3s when I first heard them. Yes it was not on balanced and the cable did not do it for me.

Get the cable, give them time, break-in for a while. I generally leave them burning-in for a minimum of 48 hours.

I use the BTR5 [Edit] balanced and on high gain and the I3s sound very good on them to me, but remember, the BTR5 gives you a darker sound. Use a dongle as well (if you have one handy) or your headphone jack (if your phone has one) just to check the difference between the dongle and the BTR5.

Hope it all come together for you. Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,522 of 3,867
I did not think much of the I3s when I first heard them. Yes it was not on balanced and the cable did not do it for me.

Get the cable, give them time, break-in for a while. I generally leave them burning-in for a minimum of 48 hours.

I use the BTR5 [Edit] balanced and on high gain and the I3s sound very good on them to me, but remember, the BTR5 gives you a darker sound. Use a dongle as well (if you have one handy) or your headphone jack (if your phone has one) just to check the difference between the dongle and the BTR5.

Hope it all come together for you. Let us know how you get on.
I had to order the cable again because I had taken the 2 pin and instead the seller sent me the TRI I3 MMCX.

BTR5 unfortunately is the only quality source I have for now, I would like to get an E1DA too which has a cooler sound.

Dec 6, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #1,523 of 3,867
I had to order the cable again because I had taken the 2 pin and instead the seller sent me the TRI I3 MMCX.

BTR5 unfortunately is the only quality source I have for now, I would like to get an E1DA too which has a cooler sound.

It is an unfortunate mix up as you have to wait for the MMCX cable. Sometimes good things take some time and I hope you have a lot of pleasure out of your I3 when you eventually get your cable.

In relation to the E1DA, I would suggest you give the BTR5 a chance. The reason I say so is that in this hobby we spend a lot of money chasing things which we find we already have in one form or other, so my view is, get a music player app, for example, PowerAmp (free for a trial period) or Neutron or both. Play around with the app, use the equaliser and get the sound you like. You can reduce the bass on your earphones increase the treble etc. The option of an equaliser on a free (for a limited time) is cheaper than buying the E1DA immediately.

As you may find, the deeper you get into this hobby, the more we collect things which we hardly use. The simple fact is you will prefer one of the two dac/amps and end up, mostly or only, using the one you prefer. You are better off finding the sound you like (although it may change with time) before buying more.

Dec 6, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #1,524 of 3,867
It is an unfortunate mix up as you have to wait for the MMCX cable. Sometimes good things take some time and I hope you have a lot of pleasure out of your I3 when you eventually get your cable.

In relation to the E1DA, I would suggest you give the BTR5 a chance. The reason I say so is that in this hobby we spend a lot of money chasing things which we find we already have in one form or other, so my view is, get a music player app, for example, PowerAmp (free for a trial period) or Neutron or both. Play around with the app, use the equaliser and get the sound you like. You can reduce the bass on your earphones increase the treble etc. The option of an equaliser on a free (for a limited time) is cheaper than buying the E1DA immediately.

As you may find, the deeper you get into this hobby, the more we collect things which we hardly use. The simple fact is you will prefer one of the two dac/amps and end up, mostly or only, using the one you prefer. You are better off finding the sound you like (although it may change with time) before buying more.
The neutron player is an excellent player and one of my best purchases in this audio hobby. It has an amazing PEQ, so I definitely rec it if you are using local files (not sure if it works with streaming services). The ugly UI is something I got used to so I wouldnt worry about it that much. :joy:

Dec 6, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #1,525 of 3,867

If you have / purchase a balanced silver cable it may give you the "coolness" you desire rather than a new piece of hardware.

Dec 6, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,527 of 3,867
Wait a minute... Isn't this Head-Fi? I thought buying new gear was always the name of the game :wink:
Cables aren't new gear :sweat_smile:? Definitely guilty of headfi delirium:beyersmile:

Dec 6, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,528 of 3,867
If you have / purchase a balanced silver cable it may give you the "coolness" you desire rather than a new piece of hardware.
Yes but in fact I am confident that with silver and balanced output power it will sound better.

As a player I use UAPP and listen in bit-perfect, usually I never touch the equalizer. I prefer to improve the sound through the right cable and tips.

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,529 of 3,867
Yes but in fact I am confident that with silver and balanced output power it will sound better.

As a player I use UAPP and listen in bit-perfect, usually I never touch the equalizer. I prefer to improve the sound through the right cable and tips.

If you want more treble, consider removing the fabric nozzle filter. It filters treble frequencies, PLUS it also gets more and more clogged with dirt and debris over time, reducing treble even more.

Dec 6, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #1,530 of 3,867
Is it true about the i3 ?
"The Tri I3 is typically sound good at a specific volume, and if you don't listen to it on that volume, the dynamics of planar and Armature are slipping. However, the hybrid containing the planar driver is rare, with very different strength requirements such as DD and BA."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back