TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Dec 6, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #1,531 of 3,867
Is it true about the i3 ?
"The Tri I3 is typically sound good at a specific volume, and if you don't listen to it on that volume, the dynamics of planar and Armature are slipping. However, the hybrid containing the planar driver is rare, with very different strength requirements such as DD and BA."

I don’t even understand what that means.

Dec 6, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #1,533 of 3,867
I don’t even understand what that means.

My guess is that the writer is trying to say that the cohesiveness of the sound where crossover between the different drivers is smooth is only in a very narrow range of volume; otherwise, it seems out of whack and the dynamics of the planar and BA driver go to hell in a hand basket as if only the dynamic driver maintains its composure sonically?

This seems to be supported by him explaining this by saying that maybe that's it just hard to get a planar to behavior right in this kind of hybrid configuration and that's why these configurations aren't common.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,534 of 3,867
My guess is that the writer is trying to say that the cohesiveness of the sound where crossover between the different drivers is smooth is only in a very narrow range of volume; otherwise, it seems out of whack and the dynamics of the planar and BA driver go to hell in a hand basket as if only the dynamic driver maintains its composure sonically?

This seems to be supported by him explaining this by saying that maybe that's it just hard to get a planar to behavior right in this kind of hybrid configuration and that's why these configurations aren't common.

I do not know if that is what the writer intended (although I think it is) but it is very eloquently "interpreted" from English to English. I applaud you.

Whether or not that was the intention of the writer, the question, as interpreted, is an interesting and valid question to which I would be interested to find the answer. From my experience with the I3, I am not sure there is range within which the I3 drivers operate at their combined optimum and outside of which range they lose their cohesion.

Others may be more competent and/or knowledgeable on the subject.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #1,538 of 3,867
I do not know if that is what the writer intended (although I think it is) but it is very eloquently "interpreted" from English to English. I applaud you.

Whether or not that was the intention of the writer, the question, as interpreted, is an interesting and valid question to which I would be interested to find the answer. From my experience with the I3, I am not sure there is range within which the I3 drivers operate at their combined optimum and outside of which range they lose their cohesion.

Others may be more competent and/or knowledgeable on the subject.

LOL, well, it's only a guess... and I certainly can't vouch for that experience on the I3 being my experience... of course, that's because I don't have any yet with the I3, lol -- but I will soon! :D They are on the way with an expected delivery this week, woo hoo!

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #1,539 of 3,867

Yes, now that I read your interpretation, and then re-read the original statement, it’s makes a lot more sense to me now :)

I haven’t really experienced that with my I3, but I haven’t really tried it at multiple volumes either. I pretty much adjust it to my normal volume preference and get lost in the music.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #1,540 of 3,867
LOL, well, it's only a guess... and I certainly can't vouch for that experience on the I3 being my experience... of course, that's because I don't have any yet with the I3, lol -- but I will soon! :D They are on the way with an expected delivery this week, woo hoo!

Nice, I’m willing to bet you’re gonna love them.

Did you get the mmcx or 2-pin version?

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #1,543 of 3,867

Yes I think that's what the guy meant about his statement. The TRI I3 does have a 3 kHz peak that can be a bit sharp at very loud volumes, as per the Fletcher Munson curve (ie sound is perceived to be more V shaped at louder volumes, and more U shaped at softer volumes). The 3 kHz region is also emphasized sometimes in poorly recorded material with maybe trumpets and certain higher vocals, but by and large the TRI I3 is very smooth at moderate to low volumes.

I think source pairing and hearing health and pinna gain (ear anatomy) all influence the 3 kHz regions too, so YMMV.

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #1,544 of 3,867
I know it's a bit of apples and oranges, but can anyone compare I3 with Starlight. I love my I3 but at times wish for a bit more treble extension...but not too the point of sibilance or fatigue. Would welcome a comparison of these 2 TRI IEM's from one who has or has heard both. Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #1,545 of 3,867
I know it's a bit of apples and oranges, but can anyone compare I3 with Starlight. I love my I3 but at times wish for a bit more treble extension...but not too the point of sibilance or fatigue. Would welcome a comparison of these 2 TRI IEM's from one who has or has heard both. Thanks!
You can try the Starsea for a lot less money. Wonderful treble extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back