TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Aug 14, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #451 of 3,867
My Tri i3 is just about to complete it's 100 hr. break in. My initial listen (out of the box) on my break in setup (iPad playing Pandora's "Andrea Bocelli" radio, at medium volume) indicated that the DD really needed a workout; as it was absent in "Time to Say Goodbye".

This morning, (still on my iPad) the playback surprised me, as the planar driver doesn't sound under powered and there's a sub bass presence. Can't wait to slap on a balanced cable later today.

ChiFi has definitely taken another step forward since Fall 2019 to present, in my eyes (ears :ksc75smile:). The iBasso IT00, KBear KS2, KBear Tri i3 have all done well on my iPad. Most of my other IEMs are a C- on the iPad; due to their needing EQing or added power or a combination of both.
The Tri i3 scales surprisingly well. I run them sometimes in the RNHP and the soundstage and imaging improve notably. Also the mids sound fuller imo

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #452 of 3,867
I was just looking up the specs on the Tri i3 (on the AE, KBear Official store), the current pricing of $141.27 U.S.D. (after store coupon) makes you wonder if there'll be any merit in trying out the forthcoming Tin P2. Just for the very fact that (for my semi-Basshead tendencies) the Tin P1 required a large EQ boost at 63 hz.

KBear Tri i3

Fit & size:
Finally got my Tater Tots™ (@Krassi : "earpotatoes") out of the oven this morning, 120 hrs.; they're very reminiscent of the iKKO OH10 for me: heavy and big, but just like the OH10, they just fit right. The shell conforms nicely to the dimensions of my concha. The only time that I notice the weight is if I bend over (where out of reflex), I'll re-adjust the i3s (when I stand back up)
Tri i3.jpg

Subbass: After 120 hrs. the DD has really benefited. Initially the sub bass - mid bass was distant; now it's well proportioned (for a semi-basshead) to the entire frequency range. This quote covers my overall impressions of the frequency range:
I was extremely worried about these only having an 8mm DD of unknown specs in them given I'm a total basshead.

I'm totally surprised by how deep, and how much quantity it can throw out...

Bass - midrange: I would classify the midrange as on the warmer side of neutral. But for well recorded music, no discernible mid bass bleed.

Vocals: Covers both the male and female range very well, from Nat King Cole's trademark baritone to Mariah Carey's "Whistle signature".

Treble/Uppper range: For my 2K - 4K sensitivity, these are my go to for detail, for now (Honeymoon stage). I'm actually going to look into reducing the cuts that I do (by default) to the 2K - 8K range.

Soundstage: Expansive, the playback really gives the illusion of playing outside of my head.

In comparison to the Tin P1, for my tastes, there isn't one. Being a fan of good rich low end, the Tin P1 is automatically disqualified. From memory (got rid of the P1s within 2 weeks), the P1 covers the rest of the range well. Although, for my sensitivity, I had to induce larger cuts from 2K and above (on the P1), to extend my listening time.

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #453 of 3,867
I was just looking up the specs on the Tri i3 (on the AE, KBear Official store), the current pricing of $141.27 U.S.D. (after store coupon) makes you wonder if there'll be any merit in trying out the forthcoming Tin P2. Just for the very fact that (for my semi-Basshead tendencies) the Tin P1 required a large EQ boost at 63 hz.

KBear Tri i3

Fit & size:
Finally got my Tater Tots™ (@Krassi : "earpotatoes") out of the oven this morning, 120 hrs.; they're very reminiscent of the iKKO OH10 for me: heavy and big, but just like the OH10, they just fit right. The shell conforms nicely to the dimensions of my concha. The only time that I notice the weight is if I bend over (where out of reflex), I'll re-adjust the i3s (when I stand back up)
Tri i3.jpg

Subbass: After 120 hrs. the DD has really benefited. Initially the sub bass - mid bass was distant; now it's well proportioned (for a semi-basshead) to the entire frequency range. This quote covers my overall impressions of the frequency range:

Bass - midrange: I would classify the midrange as on the warmer side of neutral. But for well recorded music, no discernible mid bass bleed.

Vocals: Covers both the male and female range very well, from Nat King Cole's trademark baritone to Mariah Carey's "Whistle signature".

Treble/Uppper range: For my 2K - 4K sensitivity, these are my go to for detail, for now (Honeymoon stage). I'm actually going to look into reducing the cuts that I do (by default) to the 2K - 8K range.

Soundstage: Expansive, the playback really gives the illusion of playing outside of my head.

In comparison to the Tin P1, for my tastes, there isn't one. Being a fan of good rich low end, the Tin P1 is automatically disqualified. From memory (got rid of the P1s within 2 weeks), the P1 covers the rest of the range well. Although, for my sensitivity, I had to induce larger cuts from 2K and above (on the P1), to extend my listening time.
I mean, I DO HOPE that Tin Hifi tunes the bass on the P2 better..but it is probably as you say, if the bass is the same as the P1 then it will be disqualified for a lot of people.
(EQ does help the P1 A LOT but it is just a fix and prevention is better lol)

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #454 of 3,867

KBear Tri i3

Fit & size:

How do you like them in comparison to the Rah? I was surprised on how different they are. For my uses the I3 is the better pair overall.

Aug 15, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #455 of 3,867
Forgot to mention, as good as the Tri i3 sounds (even on an inexpensive, 16 core) balanced cable (running out of my Radsone ES100), the i3 still plays well on my iPad, with the stock cable, for late night, relaxing instrumentals. e.g. jazz, East Indiian
Tri i3 balanced.jpg

How do you like them in comparison to the Rah? I was surprised on how different they are. For my uses the I3 is the better pair overall.
That'll be tomorrow's morning project

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #456 of 3,867
Absolutely agree. EQ is so often underestimated. We often use nozzles, switches and tips, all of which are binary (on/off; up/down etc.). EQ on the other hand is fine tuning. I have four EQ settings for my TRI I3, which make, different slants on good musical recordings and occasionally rescue bad recordings.Screenshot_20200523-191307_Poweramp.jpg
Which app are you using

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #458 of 3,867
Just got my I3 recently, I'd purchased three ChiFi IEMs in pretty rapid succession, first the KZ ZS10 Pro to the I3, ending with the CCA CA16 (experimenting with hybrids) and I gotta say, I'm loving these. Mine was supposedly from a local distributer with a year's warranty at about 146USD (local $ to USD) and it came with a KZ case bundled.
e3VKzl6.jpg

I've since had it fitted with my fave eartips from Comply, likewise for most of my other IEMs....
Suo1zyK.jpg

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #460 of 3,867
Just got my I3 recently, I'd purchased three ChiFi IEMs in pretty rapid succession, first the KZ ZS10 Pro to the I3, ending with the CCA CA16 (experimenting with hybrids) and I gotta say, I'm loving these. Mine was supposedly from a local distributer with a year's warranty at about 146USD (local $ to USD) and it came with a KZ case bundled...
Same here, my Tri i3 & CA16 came in, in the same week. Even thought the two orders were placed 3 weeks apart. Thanks to an autocrat who has buggered with the postal system in my home country.

Finishing up the break in on the Tri i3 first, really deflated my zeal for the CA16. As the CA16 has very similar output goals, but it's like getting back into your 4-cylinder car, after test driving a performance vehicle.

Aug 16, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #461 of 3,867
Firstly have spent a few days ear burning and burn burning my Tri i3 in. Most of my listening is Rock, Classical, Guitars, Vocals, Jazz, Indian, African, Folk music. No EDM or Death metal. To get three drivers working in harmony is quite a deed.
Now for some WAFFLE. I love that the DD moves air. How can anyone who has listened to live music accept BA bass. Many, many years ago I had a basic vinyl setup. A Dual turntable with various stylus cartridges, Grado, Ortofon, Goldring, a Musical Fidelity B1 amp and the real monster size Tannoy Mercurys of the time. All in a no furniture basement room. On Peter Gabriel's 'Passion Sources' was a track 'Wedding Song.....Moroccan Musicians'. The bass drums at volume was visceral and palpable. I felt them more than heard them. The thump into my gut chakra was impactful......Ohhh! When I moved my gear into my lounge, with furnishings and wooden floorboards, what was visceral became tame. In a mirror of that BA's, when forced to deal bass are, to me only, sad, tame and limp. How can I get a simulation of that visceral THUMP. Well sealed, quality, tips help and a good DD can support a brain illusion of that memory. But not the real gut impact. I like to eat bass sometimes, melt into the midrange and be seduced by a sparkly, crisp non-defeating treble. I have used many different tips, Azla Sedna Earfits, Symbio Peels, Acoustune, but only one gives me the 'SEAL'....Spiral Dot L. With Nitin Sawhney, 'Anthem Without Nation', 2Paq, 'Ambitionz Az A Ridah and many others.....I want the bass, to connect up to the visceral memory. Of course even the TRi i3 cant do the impossible. But to put a DD, Planar and a BA together was inspired. Now we need someone to put together a 'Badass' DD, with a Planar and a slightly more detailed BA, to somehow delude me into the thump, the sweet midrange and the details. Someone is on a winner here.
Waffle over...I apologise. These are seriously good and spatially the most unique earphone I have heard. How do we get our bass back? With the right DD, the right Planar and the right BA there is a stunning IEM to come.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #462 of 3,867
Tri i3 vs. IMR RAH
Tri i3 vs IMR RAH.jpg

Both check a lot of boxes for me:
1. Very good low end. 9/10 for both units, on the basshead scale
2. Mids are clear
3. Vocals are where the should be in the mix, a notch (or two) above the instruments.
4. Detail, without a fatiguing upper frequency response
5. Wide soundstage

Fit:
You would think the smaller RAH (smaller & RAH aren't two words that normally appear together) would get the check mark, but (specific to my ear's dimensions) the shell of the i3 is close to being a CIEM. The RAH's retention is heavily dependent on the foam tip's perch, in my ear canal. The i3 gets it's hold from a more balanced use of the concha and the ear canal.

just the Tips:
Initially the i3 had the Tennmak Ultra Strong 4.5mm and the RAH had the 4.9mm version. In an A/B round, the i3 was the clear winner for low end. When I swapped out the 4.9mm for the 4.5mm on the RAHs, the results equated to a photo finish.

Soundstage:
Both units excel at getting there, but by way of two different paths. The i3 uses a large metal shell and the RAH is an open back (technically to the rear and to the side). As I don't intend on taking either pair out of the house anytime soon (as I can't wear a mask, glasses and an IEM cable, all together), the RAH's open "side" hasn't been a disqualifier for me.

Price to performance:
With the right combination of "Acoustic filters" & nozzles, the RAHs can match up very, very closely with the i3; which brings the question of value into play. Is the RAH worth double the going price of the i3, hard no. Are the RAH's worth 25% more than the i3, not for me. But for someone who can enjoy a boost (via "Acoustics filters") to the upper frequencies, then probably yes.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #463 of 3,867
Firstly have spent a few days ear burning and burn burning my Tri i3 in. Most of my listening is Rock, Classical, Guitars, Vocals, Jazz, Indian, African, Folk music. No EDM or Death metal. To get three drivers working in harmony is quite a deed.
Now for some WAFFLE. I love that the DD moves air. How can anyone who has listened to live music accept BA bass. Many, many years ago I had a basic vinyl setup. A Dual turntable with various stylus cartridges, Grado, Ortofon, Goldring, a Musical Fidelity B1 amp and the real monster size Tannoy Mercurys of the time. All in a no furniture basement room. On Peter Gabriel's 'Passion Sources' was a track 'Wedding Song.....Moroccan Musicians'. The bass drums at volume was visceral and palpable. I felt them more than heard them. The thump into my gut chakra was impactful......Ohhh! When I moved my gear into my lounge, with furnishings and wooden floorboards, what was visceral became tame. In a mirror of that BA's, when forced to deal bass are, to me only sad, tame and limp. How can I get a simulation of that visceral THUMP. Well sealed, quality, tips help and a good DD can support a brain illusion of that memory. But not the real gut impact. I like to eat bass sometimes, melt into the midrange and be seduced by a sparkly, crisp non-defeating treble. I have used many different tips, Azla Sedna Earfits, Symbio Peels, Acoustune, but only one gives me the 'SEAL'....Spiral Dot L. With Nitin Sawhney, 'Anthem Without Nation', 2Paq, 'Ambitionz Az A Ridah and many others.....I want the bass, to connect up to the visceral memory. Of course even the TRi i3 cant do the impossible. But to put a DD, Planar and a BA together was inspired. Now we need someone to put together a 'Badass' DD, with a Planar and a slightly more detailed BA, to somehow delude me into the thump, the sweet midrange and the details. Someone is on a winner here.
Waffle over...I apologise. These are seriously good and spatially the most unique earphone I have heard. How do we get our bass back? With the right DD, the right Planar and the right BA there is a stunning IEM to come.

Love your eclectic taste in music, many of which I share. Quite apart from the musical influences as I grew up, I had many misspent years dancing to "world music" disc-jockeying, Latin American music and African music at clubs and festivals.....WOMAD. Jazz and salsa at Ronnie Scott's, Bass Clef, Mambo Inn, as a Londoner you may be aware of some of these places....but at the same time Royal Opera House, English National Opera etc, initially to please the wife (her passion) and frock watching for me, then my love for some classical music slowly took hold.

Good music is just that...Good music! You appreciate the skill of, and musical message from the musicians. Life is short, we cannot ignore what life has to offer.

Before I bore everyone to early death, back to the gear....waffle on, maybe, just maybe someone will hear and we might get something truly outstanding!

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #464 of 3,867
Love your eclectic taste in music, many of which I share. Quite apart from the musical influences as I grew up, I had many misspent years dancing to "world music" disc-jockeying, Latin American music and African music at clubs and festivals.....WOMAD. Jazz and salsa at Ronnie Scott's, Bass Clef, Mambo Inn, as a Londoner you may be aware of some of these places....but at the same time Royal Opera House, English National Opera etc, initially to please the wife (her passion) and frock watching for me, then my love for some classical music slowly took hold.

Good music is just that...Good music! You appreciate the skill of, and musical message from the musicians. Life is short, we cannot ignore what life has to offer.

Before I bore everyone to early death, back to the gear....waffle on, maybe, just maybe someone will hear and we might get something truly outstanding!
It's my job as a 'listener', I guess, to enjoy and love, what talented artists do. So they are all equal to me. Whether from Mali, Algeria, whether Ustad Bismallah Khan or Pavarotti, whoever.....if they can touch me, because I listen...then I, and they, are lucky and blessed. We are fortunate, Chris, to be able to immerse ourselves in such talented people's magic.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #465 of 3,867
Tri i3 vs. IMR RAH

Both check a lot of boxes for me:
1. Very good low end. 9/10 for both units, on the basshead scale
2. Mids are clear
3. Vocals are where the should be in the mix, a notch (or two) above the instruments.
4. Detail, without a fatiguing upper frequency response
5. Wide soundstage

Fit:
You would think the smaller RAH (smaller & RAH aren't two words that normally appear together) would get the check mark, but (specific to my ear's dimensions) the shell of the i3 is close to being a CIEM. The RAH's retention is heavily dependent on the foam tip's perch, in my ear canal. The i3 gets it's hold from a more balanced use of the concha and the ear canal.

just the Tips:
Initially the i3 had the Tennmak Ultra Strong 4.5mm and the RAH had the 4.9mm version. In an A/B round, the i3 was the clear winner for low end. When I swapped out the 4.9mm for the 4.5mm on the RAHs, the results equated to a photo finish.

Soundstage:
Both units excel at getting there, but by way of two different paths. The i3 uses a large metal shell and the RAH is an open back (technically to the rear and to the side). As I don't intend on taking either pair out of the house anytime soon (as I can't wear a mask, glasses and an IEM cable, all together), the RAH's open "side" hasn't been a disqualifier for me.

Price to performance:
With the right combination of "Acoustic filters" & nozzles, the RAHs can match up very, very closely with the i3; which brings the question of value into play. Is the RAH worth double the going price of the i3, hard no. Are the RAH's worth 25% more than the i3, not for me. But for someone who can enjoy a boost (via "Acoustics filters") to the upper frequencies, then probably yes.
I can't get the Rah to match the smoothness (especially in the mids) of the I3. I blame the fact that it doesn't have a crossover for this.... I also couldn't find filter combos or EQ to make the piezo sound "good", just acceptable. I've yet to hear a piezo implementation that is better than BA.... Might be my 38 year old ears, but piezoelectric just isn't doing it for me....

And I subjectively like the closed soundstage of the I3 better than the open one of the Rah. I've never liked the "infinite" sound of open design.

If you're expecting the Rah to be a straight upgrade given the similar configuration and price, I'd say you're in for disappointment.... I'm glad others who've also listened to both are generally agreeing because I thought I might just have a really weird opinion on them. IMR has such a dedicated and fanatical following (and Ummm, also lots of hardcore haters) that trying to talk about IMR products with relatively unbiased folks is damn near impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back