TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Aug 2, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #436 of 3,867
Found a really good review of Tri i3, by @ChrisOc, in an IMR thread : link

I don't know why the Tri i3 doesn't get more attention; from the feedback that I've read in this thread, they stand on the shoulders of the equally priced Tin P1s

I guess there is something to be said for promoting your products (hint to @WendyLi )

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #437 of 3,867
Weird isn't it. I'm perfectly happy with my Blon 3, YBF iss014 and iBasso it00, upgrade cables, and tips all giving me plenty of happiness/joy. They sit with loads of other IEMs in a couple of watch display boxes. A collection of thirty IEMs and Buds. I can only listen to one pair at a time and over 25 pairs just sit doing mainly nothing. Is this hobby a joy or a sickness? Are we just grasping, craving, and unsatisfied? Whatever, I've joined the TRI i3 party. Could not resist the TRI i3 at just over a hundred GBP. I've never heard a planar so I'm waiting to find out. Someone's comparison with the IMR EDP, @ChrisOc, pushed my finger onto the button. It was a Eulogy more than a review/comparison. Too many delicious adjectives to sit back. Planar, DD and BA sounds a great alchemical formula. Are all these IEMs my freedom/joy or my imprisonment?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #438 of 3,867
Weird isn't it. I'm perfectly happy with my Blon 3, YBF iss014 and iBasso it00, upgrade cables, and tips all giving me plenty of happiness/joy. They sit with loads of other IEMs in a couple of watch display boxes. A collection of thirty IEMs and Buds. I can only listen to one pair at a time and over 25 pairs just sit doing mainly nothing. Is this hobby a joy or a sickness? Are we just grasping, craving, and unsatisfied? Whatever I've joined the TRI i3 party. Could not resist the TRI i3 at just over a hundred GBP. I've never heard a planar so I'm waiting to find out. Someone's comparison with the IMR EDP, @ChrisOc, pushed my finger onto the button. It was a Eulogy more than a review/comparison. Too many delicious adjectives to sit back. Planar, DD and BA sounds a great alchemical formula. Are these IEMs my freedom/joy or my imprisonment?

My biggest regret in life is that we only have one pair of ears, but many many more IEMs, earbuds and headphones. Welcome to the TRI I3 club!

Somehow they managed to get a smooth coherent tuning out of the weird mishmash of 1 DD + 1 planar + 1 BA.

It needs amping though, sounds pretty meh from just a smartphone. But with amping, the sweet planar mids and superb soundstage will floor you.

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #439 of 3,867
My biggest regret in life is that we only have one pair of ears, but many many more IEMs, earbuds and headphones. Welcome to the TRI I3 club!

Somehow they managed to get a smooth coherent tuning out of the weird mishmash of 1 DD + 1 planar + 1 BA.

It needs amping though, sounds pretty meh from just a smartphone. But with amping, the sweet planar mids and superb soundstage will floor you.
At the moment I'm using a Hiby R5 and the 4.4mm is good. I've a Little Bear B4-X amp if I need it, but it's very noisy. Because there are no shops to listen to this stuff in London and of course with the virus around no possibility of testing. So these pages and reviews are the only guidance I have. It's clear from this thread that the TRI i3 is worthy.

Aug 3, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #440 of 3,867
Weird isn't it. I'm perfectly happy with my Blon 3, YBF iss014 and iBasso it00, upgrade cables, and tips all giving me plenty of happiness/joy. They sit with loads of other IEMs in a couple of watch display boxes. A collection of thirty IEMs and Buds. I can only listen to one pair at a time and over 25 pairs just sit doing mainly nothing. Is this hobby a joy or a sickness? Are we just grasping, craving, and unsatisfied? Whatever, I've joined the TRI i3 party. Could not resist the TRI i3 at just over a hundred GBP. I've never heard a planar so I'm waiting to find out. Someone's comparison with the IMR EDP, @ChrisOc, pushed my finger onto the button. It was a Eulogy more than a review/comparison. Too many delicious adjectives to sit back. Planar, DD and BA sounds a great alchemical formula. Are all these IEMs my freedom/joy or my imprisonment?

Guilty as charged.

The defendant pleads guilty of condeming a man, @dharmasteve, who has to date committed minor crimes of hoarding In Ear Monitors entombed in glorious casings, to the greater crime of the acquisition of the most despicable and truly deadly weaponry known to midfi, the TRI I3, in a bid to corrupt otherwise decent members of society.

The defendant shall be condemned, together with his victim, to perpetual confinement in the world of endless sonic purgatory known as the underworld of the TRI.

I hang my head in shame as I walk to my well deserved fate. Please, please, please come and visit sometime.

😉😋😎

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #441 of 3,867
Guilty as charged.

The defendant pleads guilty of condeming a man, @dharmasteve, who has to date committed minor crimes of hoarding In Ear Monitors entombed in glorious casings, to the greater crime of the acquisition of the most despicable and truly deadly weaponry known to midfi, the TRI I3, in a bid to corrupt otherwise decent members of society.

The defendant shall be condemned, together with his victim, to perpetual confinement in the world of endless sonic purgatory known as the underworld of the TRI.

I hang my head in shame as I walk to my well deserved fate. Please, please, please come and visit sometime.

😉😋😎
Adjectives are amazing things and they can beautify or condemn things. Thankfully you beautified them as poetry does.
Life is Alchemy....Coagulatio, Solutio, Calcinatio, and Sublimatio, and the stages are either painful or meaningful, but we grow, and we may have a little temporary joy in this Dukkha.
A really poetic comparison and instead of sonic purgatory I will be transported to Dewachen and the sounds of bliss.

Aug 3, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #442 of 3,867
Adjectives are amazing things and they can beautify or condemn things. Thankfully you beautified them as poetry does.
Life is Alchemy....Coagulatio, Solutio, Calcinatio, and Sublimatio, and the stages are either painful or meaningful, but we grow, and we may have a little temporary joy in this Dukkha.
A really poetic comparison and instead of sonic purgatory I will be transported to Dewachen and the sounds of bliss.

Thank you, sir.

Let us hear your thoughts on the TRI I3 when you receive your set.

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #443 of 3,867
The I3 is fantastic.

I'm going to try, yet again, to find an upgrade to my I3. My targets are the Mofasest trio or the TRI Starlight, but i'd be blind buying that one.

Thus far all attempts to find something I like better have been futile, at any price or driver configuration.

If this next attempt to "upgrade" fail's I might just have to face the reality that the I3 is my unicorn right now.

Aug 3, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #446 of 3,867
The I3 is fantastic.

I'm going to try, yet again, to find an upgrade to my I3. My targets are the Mofasest trio or the TRI Starlight, but i'd be blind buying that one.

Thus far all attempts to find something I like better have been futile, at any price or driver configuration.

If this next attempt to "upgrade" fail's I might just have to face the reality that the I3 is my unicorn right now.
You should also keep on eye on the ThieAudio Clairvoyance and Monarch since you like a lot of bass. Still too little information known about them right now though.

I know the i3 needs power, but how much? Would a DF Cobalt provide enough?

Aug 3, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #447 of 3,867
You should also keep on eye on the ThieAudio Clairvoyance and Monarch since you like a lot of bass. Still too little information known about them right now though.

I know the i3 needs power, but how much? Would a DF Cobalt provide enough?
I'll be frank, I won't drop that kind of money on a Linsoul product. I don't trust them to get it to me quickly nor do I trust them to build it well or back it up via warranty. I don't care if it's the best thing out there, I just won't do it. I'd say my cap for anything Linsoul is about $400... And that's only for really good stuff that I assume will be a huge hassle to deal with on a logistics level...

I see 2.1 Vrms as the power rating for the cobalt. I think that's generally equivalent to around 350 mw which is on the lower side of "enough power". I was able to drive the harder to drive RHA CL2 pretty well off of 2.0 Vrms on the cowon P2. I listen very loud in general, so you'll likely be fine unless you listen really really loud.

Aug 6, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #448 of 3,867
Hey does anyone have both the I3 and the Moondrop Blessing 2? If so could you take a picture of them side by side?

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #449 of 3,867
With the passing of Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac fame, he often had notoriety, a touch that was unique, and that genius....to me of course. So I ordered the TRi i3 thinking it would suit his style of Blues and guitar. An offering to him. Well it arrived in the Uk within a WEEK of ordering. Wow. (I also for the sake of it ordered the Tiandirenhe TD06 Hifi earphone with two extra tuning filters (Took 5 days to get here....!!!!!). It came with a nice 8 core Single Crystal Copper Upgrade Cable and a total cost of about £22. The cable is clearly worth 10 quid....so a good deal if the resin IEM is any good. For the price they are good....not world beaters....but they have, from their '10mm Taiwan biofilm driver', some very interesting qualities).
I've yet to burn in the TRi i3 but in listening and AB'ing with the iBasso it00 is quite an experience. Apples and Oranges. The melty guitars in Snowy Whites 'Headful of Blues' from the it00 are great. Also the rhythm that only a DD can create and the beautiful timbre of voices make the it00 a pathway to something creatively beautiful. The Tri 03 adds something different from the same track, and something so well implemented. Three drivers....DD, Planar and BA. Suddenly the Spacial arena of the head becomes a mirror of space. Almost Hermetic , 'As above so below' A psychedelic mystery....heaven coming to earth. Music from every spacial direction. These have still to burn in but are very special indeed already. Unlike any IEM I have heard and in a good way. The it00 and Tri i3 are very special..IMHO, and for someone who gets lost in music, I think I have made two good choices. Thanks to all the guys on the TRi i3 thread for eulogising them.....and @ChrisOc you are now a free man.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #450 of 3,867
With the passing of Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac fame, he often had notoriety, a touch that was unique, and that genius....to me of course. So I ordered the TRi i3 thinking it would suit his style of Blues and guitar. An offering to him. Well it arrived in the Uk within a WEEK of ordering. Wow. (I also for the sake of it ordered the Tiandirenhe TD06 Hifi earphone with two extra tuning filters (Took 5 days to get here....!!!!!). It came with a nice 8 core Single Crystal Copper Upgrade Cable and a total cost of about £22. The cable is clearly worth 10 quid....so a good deal if the resin IEM is any good. For the price they are good....not world beaters....but they have, from their '10mm Taiwan biofilm driver', some very interesting qualities).
I've yet to burn in the TRi i3 but in listening and AB'ing with the iBasso it00 is quite an experience. Apples and Oranges. The melty guitars in Snowy Whites 'Headful of Blues' from the it00 are great. Also the rhythm that only a DD can create and the beautiful timbre of voices make the it00 a pathway to something creatively beautiful. The Tri 03 adds something different from the same track, and something so well implemented. Three drivers....DD, Planar and BA. Suddenly the Spacial arena of the head becomes a mirror of space. Almost Hermetic , 'As above so below' A psychedelic mystery. Heaven coming to earth. Music from every spacial direction. These have still to burn in but are very special indeed already. Unlike any IEM I have heard and in a good way. The it00 and Tri i3 are very special..IMHO, and for someone who gets lost in music, I think I have made two good choices. Thanks to all the guys on the TRi i3 thread for eulogising them.....and @ChrisOc you are now a free man.
My Tri i3 is just about to complete it's 100 hr. break in. My initial listen (out of the box) on my break in setup (iPad playing Pandora's "Andrea Bocelli" radio, at medium volume) indicated that the DD really needed a workout; as it was absent in "Time to Say Goodbye".

This morning, (still on my iPad) the playback surprised me, as the planar driver doesn't sound under powered and there's a sub bass presence. Can't wait to slap on a balanced cable later today.

ChiFi has definitely taken another step forward since Fall 2019 to present, in my eyes (ears :ksc75smile:). The iBasso IT00, KBear KS2, KBear Tri i3 have all done well on my iPad. Most of my other IEMs are a C- on the iPad; due to their needing EQing or added power or a combination of both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back