TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Nov 11, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #1,276 of 3,867
But TRI I3 now that the hype is a bit past do you still consider it one of the best iems in the 100-200 € range?

In the details and with regard to the fast genres it is not the best is it?
I don’t have the i3, but as a 3rd party observer, who’s been following it for a while, I don’t think it ever really was a typical “hype train”. In fact, similar to the MEST, it has gotten more popular and had been talked about a lot more over time. It seems quite a bit more popular now than it was 6 months ago. I think that’s a great sign of quality.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #1,277 of 3,867
But TRI I3 now that the hype is a bit past do you still consider it one of the best iems in the 100-200 € range?

In the details and with regard to the fast genres it is not the best is it?

Personally, I bought blind (apart from a couple of buyers' reviews on AliExpress). It was early days and what made me jump in with both feet is the planar magnetic driver. I have full size planar magnetic headphones which I enjoy so it made the decision to buy blind easier.

I cannot say if it is the best in the price range (I have not tried that many to say so) but it is my favourite in that price range.

I have listed those I currently have in my possession in my order of preference:

TRI i3 - BIG authoritative sound at a low price. Highs good but not the best in the group.

IMR EDP - impressive but cable pops out. Sold out.

Kennerton Ikiz - good fun, but fit not for all.

Tin T4 - highly competent and detailed.

ISN H40 - very high volume, hard hitting mid bass, but serious contender.

ISN D02 - fun smooth boy.

TRI STARSEA - early days, burning in, but appears to be a solid reference set.

Others may give you a better range to consider.

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #1,279 of 3,867
Got my believe ordered. I resisted the urge to spend $46 on DHL shipping.... I wish I was able to order a 4.4mm version of the cable it comes with but it doesn't look like that cable is sold independently yet.

We'll see how the rest of the sale goes for me but I'd like the 2 pin version of the I3 as well.
Yes, love the 2pin version I3!!:wink:

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #1,280 of 3,867
I don’t have the i3, but as a 3rd party observer, who’s been following it for a while, I don’t think it ever really was a typical “hype train”. In fact, similar to the MEST, it has gotten more popular and had been talked about a lot more over time. It seems quite a bit more popular now than it was 6 months ago. I think that’s a great sign of quality.

Wow, thank you very much for your kind comments!:beyersmile:

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #1,281 of 3,867
Personally, I bought blind (apart from a couple of buyers' reviews on AliExpress). It was early days and what made me jump in with both feet is the planar magnetic driver. I have full size planar magnetic headphones which I enjoy so it made the decision to buy blind easier.

I cannot say if it is the best in the price range (I have not tried that many to say so) but it is my favourite in that price range.

I have listed those I currently have in my possession in my order of preference:

TRI i3 - BIG authoritative sound at a low price. Highs good but not the best in the group.

Why did you say Starsea is a solid reference set?

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #1,282 of 3,867
The bass is sufficient, in effect more than adequate. However, my understanding and experience with all monitors is that the extension on one end (in this case, treble) makes the other end (in this case, bass) feel less prominent. That is the case here, more exceptionally detailed and pronounced treble partially reduces the impact of the bass. Whether that is a physical or psychological compensation, I don't know, but that is my experience.

Having said all that, when I have the Starlights in my ears, they deliver more than adequate bass, it is only that they are not true basshead IEMs.

I highly recommend the Starlights for anyone thinking of getting them, especially at current 11/11 price!

What an amazing analysis for Starlight!! Yes, very competent price!! :ksc75smile:

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #1,283 of 3,867
What an amazing analysis for Starlight!! Yes, very competent price!! :ksc75smile:
Can you post size comparison with starlight and i3? Are they the same humongous size?😄

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #1,284 of 3,867

Can I ask you what genres do you mainly listen to?

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #1,285 of 3,867
Guys, KBEAR Blieve will restore from its discount price $129 to its original price $159 soon!! Just grab the last chance!! Cheer up!!

Believe--restore.png

Nov 12, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #1,288 of 3,867
Why did you say Starsea is a solid reference set?

My initial impressions after 24 hours, are that the Starseas are very detailed but do not have a bass or treble bias. I have not seen the frequency spectrum but I guess it is quite linear (more or less straight line) with the switches down.

For that reason I see them as an ideal "reference" set, which give you music as close as possible to the original mix. That is based on both switches down.

I think the drivers are quite capable of delivering a huge range but they are tuned for reference not for extra bass, mids or treble, so what you put in is what you get.

I have had them burning-in for about 72 hours so I need to check them out again as soon as I can get some quiet listening time.

Nov 12, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,289 of 3,867
Can I ask you what genres do you mainly listen to?

That is a difficult question!

I am a child of the world, no music is out of bounds but based on my collection, I have to say, largely Jazz - from raw jazz (I am talking Miles Davis, Lionel Hampton etc.) to jazz funk and other jazz fusion.

I listen to classical music, Latin American music, salsa, cumbia, merengue, samba, and of course the cross over between jazz and Latin mostly Brazilian.

I listen to African music and that alone can be huge. Here I am talking about highlife, soukous, Afrobeat, right through to North African Arabesque music.

This why I have bassy sets and more trebly sets of earphones, sometimes you just want to hear the double bass, or a hard-hitting bass line and at other times the delicate notes of xylophone or strings.

The sets that can get you lost in your music, obviously stay in for longer,.

There is just so much to enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back