TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Nov 11, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #1,261 of 3,867
There should be plenty of bass no? Kbear graphs are generally accurate and the starlight's shows a 12db bass slope

The bass is sufficient, in effect more than adequate. However, my understanding and experience with all monitors is that the extension on one end (in this case, treble) makes the other end (in this case, bass) feel less prominent. That is the case here, more exceptionally detailed and pronounced treble partially reduces the impact of the bass. Whether that is a physical or psychological compensation, I don't know, but that is my experience.

Having said all that, when I have the Starlights in my ears, they deliver more than adequate bass, it is only that they are not true basshead IEMs.

I highly recommend the Starlights for anyone thinking of getting them, especially at current 11/11 price!

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #1,262 of 3,867
The bass is sufficient, in effect more than adequate. However, my understanding and experience with all monitors is that the extension on one end (in this case, treble) makes the other end (in this case, bass) feel less prominent. That is the case here, more exceptionally detailed and pronounced treble partially reduces the impact of the bass. Whether that is a physical or psychological compensation, I don't know, but that is my experience.

Having said all that, when I have the Starlights in my ears, they deliver more than adequate bass, it is only that they are not true basshead IEMs.

I highly recommend the Starlights for anyone thinking of getting them, especially at current 11/11 price!
Starlight as low as €423, really tempting!

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #1,263 of 3,867
I‘m sooooooo very tempted to get the Starlight. At just a little over $500 after coupons, it certainly is the new affordable EST champion, certainly better than the Mofa Trio (at least on paper, since I haven’t heard either one of them). I just can’t take advantage of the sales on it this time as I‘m ordering too many other IEMs.

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #1,265 of 3,867
I‘m sooooooo very tempted to get the Starlight. At just a little over $500 after coupons, it certainly is the new affordable EST champion, certainly better than the Mofa Trio (at least on paper, since I haven’t heard either one of them). I just can’t take advantage of the sales on it this time as I‘m ordering too many other IEMs.

Exactly. Having got an indication of the fact that you very much like your treble, from previous posts, I am sure you would LOVE the Starlights, I cannot wait for you all to appreciate how exceptional these are.

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #1,266 of 3,867
Although I don't own the TRi Starlight I did spend a week with them. They have two amazing factors that stand them out. Timbre is unexpectedly organic and pure. Highs from the Electrostatic Drivers are on another level, superb. My attempt to find those highs affordably elsewhere, are with the Shuoer Tape Pro and a very lucky deal on the LZ A7. The Shuoer Tape Pro is Electrostatic driving the highs, and the LZ A7 is Piezoelectric Ceramic driving the highs. Which will be the most naturally articulate? Which will please me?

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #1,267 of 3,867
Although I don't own the TRi Starlight I did spend a week with them. They have two amazing factors that stand them out. Timbre is unexpectedly organic and pure. Highs from the Electrostatic Drivers are on another level, superb. My attempt to find those highs affordably elsewhere, are with the Shuoer Tape Pro and a very lucky deal on the LZ A7. The Shuoer Tape Pro is Electrostatic driving the highs, and the LZ A7 is Piezoelectric Ceramic driving the highs. Which will be the most naturally articulate? Which will please me?

I'm don't think the Shuoer Tape Pro is a true electrostatic, they are probably a magnetostatic or electret, like the predecessor Tape (non Pro). Some of these companies like to namedrop electorstatic drivers, but a lot of the budget ones aren't true electrostatics. I think true electrostatic drivers need a power source.

Technically an electret, which holds predetermined charges can run out of charges and be rendered inoperable. But of course in this CHIFI hobby, we will probably get another hypetrain in the mail long before any electret charges run out haha.

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #1,268 of 3,867
I'm don't think the Shuoer Tape Pro is a true electrostatic, they are probably a magnetostatic or electret, like the predecessor Tape (non Pro). Some of these companies like to namedrop electorstatic drivers, but a lot of the budget ones aren't true electrostatics. I think true electrostatic drivers need a power source.

Technically an electret, which holds predetermined charges can run out of charges and be rendered inoperable. But of course in this CHIFI hobby, we will probably get another hypetrain in the mail long before any electret charges run out haha.
Yeah it is a magnetostat (by the korean company Earbridge).

We dont know that yet. Assuming it be like the original tape, the A7 will definitely sound more natural. But then again...they could go the other way and tune it to be natural sounding. Like how LZ did with the A7 from the A6.

Nov 11, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #1,269 of 3,867
Just for the record, the Sonion EST drivers are not true traditional electrostatic drivers, they are electrets. AFAIK, the only true classic electrostatic IEMs are the Shure ones, with a separate power pack.

This is merely academic since all that matters is the sound, and the Sonion EST drivers sound excellent.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #1,270 of 3,867
Just for the record, the Sonion EST drivers are not true electrostatic drivers, they are electrets. AKAIK, the only true e-stat IEMs are the Shure ones, with a separate power pack.

This is merely academic since all that matters is the sound, and the Sonion EST drivers sound excellent.
Electret drivers are true electrostatic drivers but it may not be the best type of electrostatic driver. After all, the only force that drives the diaphragm of the electret is electrostatic force.
its just like we won't call instant coffee a fake coffee but its definitely not the best type of coffee.

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #1,271 of 3,867
Exactly. Having got an indication of the fact that you very much like your treble, from previous posts, I am sure you would LOVE the Starlights, I cannot wait for you all to appreciate how exceptional these are.
Could i kindly ask for you opinion?
I'm not a major bass-head but i do want to have enough rumble for let's say EDM songs!
Is it fun (as in not dry) to listen to EDM songs with the Starlight?
Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,272 of 3,867
For future reviews: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kbear-believe.24766/

38B3E41B-0542-4991-B516-171CBB20EFCC.jpeg
1FD49A12-3216-46D2-8EA9-E662A75F1FAA.jpeg

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #1,273 of 3,867
Could i kindly ask for you opinion?
I'm not a major bass-head but i do want to have enough rumble for let's say EDM songs!
Is it fun (as in not dry) to listen to EDM songs with the Starlight?
Your input would be greatly appreciated!

It is my pleasure to give you my impression of the Starlights.

My honest opinion is that the Starlights have more than enough bass. To ensure I do not mislead anyone, I decided to put the Starlights into my ears while I replied to your question.

So the short answer to your first question is definitely plenty bass response.

The Starlights are by no means dry, although they are not "Byrilium syrupy fun" (smoothing everything out) but they will NOT give you bear bones either. These have body in the bass and mids, they will give you everything little thing that the musicians do, including clicking fingers, sliding fingers on guitar strings, spittle and broken reed and bum notes, nothing is hidden if it is on the recording.

However, what you do have to remember is that the Sonion electrostatic drivers use one transformer for each pair of drivers. The downside to Electrostatic drivers on Starlights is they require power. There has been much discussion about the power required by the the TRI I3s. Please do not worry, increased volume on your phone with a dongle will give you plenty joy. Just remember it will take a bit more battery power than other IEMs.

The short answer to your second question is, they are in no way dry, they have enough body to give you a fuller sound in both bass and mids.

All I ask is to hear your opinion if and when you get them. Hopefully, you share my opinion and enjoy them as much as I do.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #1,274 of 3,867
It is my pleasure to give you my impression of the Starlights.

My honest opinion is that the Starlights have more than enough bass. To ensure I do not mislead anyone, I decided to put the Starlights into my ears while I replied to your question.

So the short answer to your first question is definitely plenty bass response.

The Starlights are by no means dry, although they are not "Byrilium syrupy fun" (smoothing everything out) but they will NOT give you bear bones either. These have body in the bass and mids, they will give you everything little thing that the musicians do, including clicking fingers, sliding fingers on guitar strings, spittle and broken reed and bum notes, nothing is hidden if it is on the recording.

However, what you do have to remember is that the Sonion electrostatic drivers use one transformer for each pair of drivers. The downside to Electrostatic drivers on Starlights is they require power. There has been much discussion about the power required by the the TRI I3s. Please do not worry, increased volume on your phone with a dongle will give you plenty joy. Just remember it will take a bit more battery power than other IEMs.

The short answer to your second question is, they are in no way dry, they have enough body to give you a fuller sound in both bass and mids.

All I ask is to hear your opinion if and when you get them. Hopefully, you share my opinion and enjoy them as much as I do.

Thank you again for taking the time, much appreciated! This deal is just too good to pass up on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back