TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jul 8, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #2,686 of 3,867
I am with you, the size of the original I3 does not bother me either. They fit so snuggly in my ears, I hardly notice them.

I am impressed even though I have had for almost a year and a half.

Curious about the first IEMs you were impressed by!?
Final Audio Heaven VII are to these day my favourite iems, but heavier and not as comfortable as the I3s which, I agree with you, have a great fit.

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #2,687 of 3,867
I definitely think that the Starlights are worth every penny. Lots and lots of detail to be had.

I like by treble on a nice bed of solid sub-bass and the TRI I3 is the master of that domain. However, if the recording permits the Starlights will give you all the information as recorded, the bass is not prominent rather is available when called upon.

They are a pair I cannot pick up when I have things to do because I just want to listen to the next track....and the next.
I have read your review on starlight and starshine. Good job and they definitely helped a lot. If the money is not the important factor, and what I value is detail retrieval and treble extension, soundstage size and holographical traits, do you think starlights suits well for that purpose and you would choose starlight over starshine?

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #2,688 of 3,867
I have read your review on starlight and starshine. Good job and they definitely helped a lot. If the money is not the important factor, and what I value is detail retrieval and treble extension, soundstage size and holographical traits, do you think starlights suits well for that purpose and you would choose starlight over starshine?
Thanks for your kind words. I am sure you know how useful feedback can be to improving any form of craft, cheers.

On the Starlights, again if funds allow, I would highly recommend them for clarity, detail retrieval, separation and therefore imaging. You can pick out minutiae from your music, now that is largely down to the Sonion electrostatic tweeters. Of course, implementation of the drivers and therefore tuning is an incredibly important factor. We have all heard of badly implemented Sonion, enough said on that.

As to the comparison or preference between the Starlights and Starshines.....Oh boy....big question, they are different as you would expect. The Starlights being more analytical and the Starshines more analogue tuning. Nonetheless, my view is that the degree of detail is fantastic and exceeds the usual approach when tuning for analogue type sound where the emphasis lies in presentation of the music rather than representation of the instruments or put another way, the reproduction of minutiae in the music.

Preference, I do really enjoy listening to both the Starlights and the Starshines but if I had to stick my neck out, it would be the Starshines for the emotional effect they induce for me. After all said and done, that is why I (and possibly for most, we) enjoy music whether consciously or not, to evoke some element of emotion, whether it is joy, sorrow, anger or even that music evokes memory of a particular time in one's life or a place real or imaginery. Ultimately, the point is music has an emotional effect and if your earphones take you there, it is worth spending time with them.

I hope my rumblings and lopsided reasoning helps somehow.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #2,689 of 3,867
Thanks for your kind words. I am sure you know how useful feedback can be to improving any form of craft, cheers.

On the Starlights, again if funds allow, I would highly recommend them for clarity, detail retrieval, separation and therefore imaging. You can pick out minutiae from your music, now that is largely down to the Sonion electrostatic tweeters. Of course, implementation of the drivers and therefore tuning is an incredibly important factor. We have all heard of badly implemented Sonion, enough said on that.

As to the comparison or preference between the Starlights and Starshines.....Oh boy....big question, they are different as you would expect. The Starlights being more analytical and the Starshines more analogue tuning. Nonetheless, my view is that the degree of detail is fantastic and exceeds the usual approach when tuning for analogue type sound where the emphasis lies in presentation of the music rather than representation of the instruments or put another way, the reproduction of minutiae in the music.

Preference, I do really enjoy listening to both the Starlights and the Starshines but if I had to stick my neck out, it would be the Starshines for the emotional effect they induce for me. After all said and done, that is why I (and possibly for most, we) enjoy music whether consciously or not, to evoke some element of emotion, whether it is joy, sorrow, anger or even that music evokes memory of a particular time in one's life or a place real or imaginery. Ultimately, the point is music has an emotional effect and if your earphones take you there, it is worth spending time with them.

I hope my rumblings and lopsided reasoning helps somehow.
Wow.. Thanks a lot for your explanation. I dont know why head fi has 100xlikes stamp. I need some time to think which one to choose for me then. I know that starshine also has really nice treble extension as shown in the graph but the things you said are definitely not on the graph and hard to know unless someone tries and tells me. Really appreciate! 👍😉

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #2,690 of 3,867
I definitely think that the Starlights are worth every penny. Lots and lots of detail to be had.

I like by treble on a nice bed of solid sub-bass and the TRI I3 is the master of that domain. However, if the recording permits the Starlights will give you all the information as recorded, the bass is not prominent rather is available when called upon.

They are a pair I cannot pick up when I have things to do because I just want to listen to the next track....and the next.
Agree with your assessment on the Starlight. For now, they are my end game IEM. Combined with the CP500, the fit and sound is perfect for me. I do like higher treble region but I did tamper it down by .5 on my Sony dap. At home, I have it through my Modius/Magnius stack 4 pin XLR with a moon audio silver dragon to 4.4, sound is great. I also agree that it is one that I prefer to listen to long sessions with. As such, the entry Starsea does the job in the office where I can listen to a track or two at a time.

I have toyed with the idea of trying the ie900 or something else >$1k but in the end, the Starlight talks me out of it.

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #2,691 of 3,867
I just received my I3, non pro, and this is the second time I've been really impressed by an iem, so much that I decided to write here to express how much I like it. I'm really curious about this smaller pro version now, even though the size of the regular I3 doesn't bother me at all.
Non pro? I am so glad that you like the I3! Yup, the I3 pro has a smaller shape. Perhaps you should wait for a while until the new ones coming out!

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #2,692 of 3,867
Who knows what's this?
Will you think about Lark when it first comes into your sight?

10 units DD+BA hybrids new flagship earphones!
Estimated to be released at the end of this month! 🥳

1700 (1).jpg

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #2,694 of 3,867
Who knows what's this?

1700 (1).jpg
Im more keen on TRI i3 pro, too much of hybrids flooding the whole market!🤣😊

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #2,695 of 3,867
Who knows what's this?

1700 (1).jpg
1DD 9BA? Curious... Estimated price? Tell us more

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #2,696 of 3,867
Who knows what's this?

What!? 10DD+1BA!?!? Not 10BA+1DD?😂 I’m up. KZ recently came up wity 12BA AST and it was pretty nicely made one. My hope for 10 driver hybrid from KBEAR is very positive.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #2,698 of 3,867
Maybe at least 2DD, im interested too.😁😊
Makes sense!

1st mix:
2DD for bass like those of Empire Ears Odin, and rest 8 BA (quad mid BA, 2 tweeters, 2 super tweeters)

2nd mix:
2DD bass + 2 mid BA + 6 matrix tweeters (30019x6)

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #2,699 of 3,867
Maybe it's 1DD + 4BA, 10 units as in ZS10 Pro?

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #2,700 of 3,867

Users who are viewing this thread

Back